PDA

View Full Version : Savannah, GA

Cack
11-25-2013, 01:22 PM
My wife and I are going in a couple of weeks for her Bday.

Where do we need to eat and what are some neat places to visit?

TrueBlueEagle
11-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Seafood-The Crab Shack on the way to Tybee Island! "Where the elite, eat in their bare feet"
BBQ-No idea :(
Bar/alcohol-All the places on River St are fun... Wet Willies is popular for slushie drinks. I'm a personal fan of "World of Beer" on ....Broughton St I think? largest selection of beer I've ever seen.
Pizza - Vinnie Van Go-Goghs

My favorite area is the City Market. It's been cleaned up alot recently and has a bunch of neat little art galleries.

cpw
11-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Must eat pizza at Vinnie Van go go's in City Market. Bub-Ba-q just opened a restaurant downtown(ish) on MLK blvd. I've been twice and will definitely be going back. Hit up river street for any seafood/bar you can imagine. Vic's on the River is real good, but a little pricey. Depending on how cold it is I'd do a walking ghost tour, and if you're a drinker there's a haunted pub tour that's fun. Let me know if you need to know anything else.

The_Kapn
11-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Mrs Wilkes!

http://mrswilkes.com/

Have not been there is a long time, but sure it is still unique and great!

TIM

TrueBlueEagle
11-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Must eat pizza at Vinnie Van go go's in City Market. Bub-Ba-q just opened a restaurant downtown(ish) on MLK blvd. I've been twice and will definitely be going back. Hit up river street for any seafood/bar you can imagine. Vic's on the River is real good, but a little pricey. Depending on how cold it is I'd do a walking ghost tour, and if you're a drinker there's a haunted pub tour that's fun. Let me know if you need to know anything else.

I'm curious about the haunted pub tour? In-laws in statesboro, and my fiance and I graduated from Ga southern...So we frequent savannah quite a bit. Sounds fun!

cpw
11-25-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm curious about the haunted pub tour? In-laws in statesboro, and my fiance and I graduated from Ga southern...So we frequent savannah quite a bit. Sounds fun!

This is the one I went one several years back: http://www.savannahtours.com/creepycrawl.html

You basically start out at one haunted pub and make your way around to several others, stopping for a drink at each one. It's pretty fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Cack
11-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone. We did a history tour of Charleston a few years ago and it was really neat. It talked about slavery and prostitution etc etc. It was called something like "The dark side of Charleston".

bbq.tom
11-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Mrs Wilkes!

http://mrswilkes.com/

Have not been there is a long time, but sure it is still unique and great!

TIM

I'll definitely second Mrs. Wilkes!!!

Was there this past spring and it was WONDERFUL!!! You eat boarding house style (with 10-12 of your closes friends - at least the 10-12 people standing closest in line with you!!!). ALL the food is already on the table and it is just pass the bowls and platters! Refills on everything except dessert.

This is where the common folk of Savannah go instead of Paula Dean's.

dport7
12-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Seafood-The Crab Shack on the way to Tybee Island! "Where the elite, eat in their bare feet"
BBQ-No idea :(
Bar/alcohol-All the places on River St are fun... Wet Willies is popular for slushie drinks. I'm a personal fan of "World of Beer" on ....Broughton St I think? largest selection of beer I've ever seen.
Pizza - Vinnie Van Go-Goghs

My favorite area is the City Market. It's been cleaned up alot recently and has a bunch of neat little art galleries.

Been to "The Crab Shack" good seafood boil. Gaters are cool too.

The Cosmic Pig
12-06-2013, 09:13 PM
I had a great burnt-end sandwich at Wiley's Championship BBQ once (out toward Tybee), but the next time it was just so-so. The wife had a smoked Rueben there and loved it! I'll second the votes for Mrs. Wilkes place, also!

J&B'sBBQ
12-07-2013, 12:01 AM
This is the one I went one several years back: http://www.savannahtours.com/creepycrawl.html

You basically start out at one haunted pub and make your way around to several others, stopping for a drink at each one. It's pretty fun if you're into that sort of thing.

We did this same tour when we were there last summer and enjoyed it, but know it's more of a drinking tour than a ghost tour :becky:.

You MUST go to the Pirate House and eat; their food is really good and it is a huge part of history. We take our 8th graders there every year (hubby and I are teachers) and that is one of their favorite spots.

Have fun!

Gore
01-13-2014, 07:50 PM
This thread isn't too old. I'm headed to Savannah this weekend. Anyone have anything they'd like to add? Looking especially at the old town area....

coastal
01-13-2014, 09:42 PM
I will third Mrs Wilkes. It is great southern food. They line up starting around a hour before and only serve lunch. Do it, its worth it
http://mrswilkes.com

Zunzis deli got the 2nd best sandwich in the US by the travel channel. Its called the chicken conquistador and it's fabulous
http://zunzis.com

The old pink house is great for a fancy dinner and has a nice historic bar in the basement

Tour some of the museums and historic homes, check the numerous park squares and walk river street and the market district

mikeleonard81
01-14-2014, 12:51 AM
The dueling piano bar was a blast this past summer!! We ate at Paula's place.... 2 sons or something like that. My grandma is a paula fanatic so we really didn't have a choice where to eat at. It's a beautiful town but if I had to pick between Charleston and Savannah I'd be touring rainbow row!

cpw
01-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Zunzis deli got the 2nd best sandwich in the US by the travel channel. Its called the chicken conquistador and it's fabulous
http://zunzis.com

I forgot about Zunzi's. Everything there is good, but Coastal's right, you have to try the conquistador. They have 2 locations now, one's open for lunch and the other for dinner.

brownkw
01-29-2014, 10:06 PM
My wife and I stayed there overnight on our way back from Disney. For dinner we had takeout from Screamin' Mimi's Pizza (http://www.screaminmimispizza.com). Decent pie. And for lunch, we ate at Huey's on the River (http://www.hueysontheriver.net/) -- excellent Cajun food!

Gore
01-29-2014, 10:39 PM
We ended up staying 5 nights. We took a couple of tours, both with Oglethorpe. One was a ghost tour. I end up on a lot of tours and can usually take them or leave them. These were the best tours I've ever had. It's not so much the material as the guides we had. They were non-stop entertainers the entire time.

As for the food, Mrs. Wilkes is closed in January. The Pink House, which we nicknamed, the "excuse me, pardon me" restaurant was a wait to get in and a lot of people waiting. They gave us a tour, which was nice, but there was an awful lot of "excuse me, pardon me" as it was crowded. The place was gorgeous and comfortable, but the food was somewhat lacking. There were some great items, and some that just didn't work. I think it was one of those cases where they just had too many people to serve. Beautiful house though.

We stumbled onto "The Chive" looking for lunch and that was one of the best meals we had. We had a large seafood platter for appetizer, and a number of other dishes.

The other place most highly recommended was Alligator Soul. Everything was fabulous. They have an eclectic menu with various wild game, like buffalo, elk, alligator, etc. I stuck with the ribeye and it was great. The alligator gumbo was fabulous also. Heck, it was all good. They gave attention to everything. The fries were some of the best I've had (but they were fried in duck fat, so was the chocolate eclair for dessert). Bring your spare wallet along.

The Pirate House was thoroughly enjoyable. The buffet was about the cheapest in town, ~$14, and had some of the best fried chicken I've had. Other items were not so good. It also is historic and they have someone there who will show you around the place and give you a history lesson.

We stayed in the Savannah Inn. I would recommend it. Very comfortable, tea in the afternoon and cookies for evening snack and two different breakfasts. It's a beautiful walking town.

The Telfair Museum was wonderful. There is a $40 pass for 2 adults, 2 kids for that, their modern art (Jepson) museum, and a house tour. We could've skipped the Jepson, and the SCAD museum. One of the best "museums" was the SCAD gift shop on Bull street. It is where they sell art produced by students and professors. It was much better than what was in the museums. We even went back a second day.

bbq.tom
01-30-2014, 11:21 AM
THANKS Gore for the info/review! Especially on "Alligator Soul"! Sounds GREAT! I'll definitely have to look them up next time I'm down there!

Gore
01-30-2014, 11:50 AM
THANKS Gore for the info/review! Especially on "Alligator Soul"! Sounds GREAT! I'll definitely have to look them up next time I'm down there!

That was a special meal that we will remember. There were eight of us, and we all had appetizers, main course, and a few desserts and everything was extremely well prepared. Their website is here:

http://www.alligatorsoul.com/savannah/menuview#

I see they occasionally get camel. I'm not generally a game eater and am happiest with a ribeye steak (that I make), but I don't think I could resist trying camel. :roll:

bbq.tom
01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
I see they occasionally get camel. I'm not generally a game eater and am happiest with a ribeye steak (that I make), but I don't think I could resist trying camel. :roll:

I ate camel while in Saudi Arabia for Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm (the first Gulf war) in 1991. Acutally wasn't too bad, as our cook section could make a great meal out of almost nothing. Almost tasted like a cross between beef and goat (another delicacy that I had in Saudi).

I'll try almost anything once!!!

Gore
01-30-2014, 12:04 PM
I'll try almost anything once!!!

Yep, me too! ... now I wish they had camel when I was there.

cpw
01-30-2014, 12:04 PM
My wife's favorite meal in the city is at Alligator Soul; their shrimp and grits. We go there whenever we want to get fancy.