PDA

View Full Version : Favorite accomplishment besides winning?

Serious Hog
11-24-2013, 10:20 AM
What is your favorite accomplishment at a comp other than the thrill of winning prizes, money, bragging rights etc?

One of our tops is being packed up and getting outta Dodge right after awards. It's a great feeling to be on the road immediately and headed home to crash for the night. We've only managed to do this a couple times, either because of too much socializing on our part or horrendously jam-packed exit traffic.

Love to hear your stories!

71-South
11-24-2013, 11:07 AM
I haven't gotten to spend a lot of time w/ my best friend and his wife for the last few years as we live in different towns, I'm a single dad of three, work, etc. Now we're competing together (just one under our belt) so we're spending a lot more time together. I enjoy that as much as anything.

Podge
11-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Ain't no sense in going to a contest unless I know some people and know I'll have a good time with them... but on the other hand, it was great to make it to the Sam's regionals and getting to meet a lot of folks I wanted to meet for a long time, namely 3 eyes and Swamp boys... at the end of the day, the greatest accomplishments are the memories you make, and the friends you make.

ShencoSmoke
11-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Mine is the smile on my 3 year old daughters face when she ran across the field to give me a hug after we got a few calls. She only made it to 2 comps so it was priceless. Unfortunately, the worst part of the season involved her as well. At the last comp of the year we didnt get a top 5 and she asked "when do we get to go on the stage", talk about motivation for next season!

CivilWarBBQ
11-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Earning and enjoying the friendship of people like Terrell Jones, Sam & Diane Grogan and Bobbie McWright while they were still with us, and a hundred other great folks who live on to participate in this crazy BBQ Gypsy lifestyle each weekend.

Coz
11-24-2013, 01:20 PM
For me it would be seeing one of the new teams that I helped a little getting a call.

BaggerBill
11-24-2013, 01:34 PM
We (Willy's Q Shack), having just started competing in August of this year and having done only 3 comps so our highlights were simple. We made all of our turn in times and didn't finish DAL in any comp or category. Finishing our short season with a call was great but just the fact of pulling it together makes us smile over the winter.

ShencoSmoke
11-24-2013, 01:50 PM
For me it would be seeing one of the new teams that I helped a little getting a call.

As a young team that has been helped by 2 different accomplished teams, I thank you for what you do. Without folks like you helping the young teams, i believe many of us would get frustrated and quit.

Ron_L
11-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Seeing old friends, meeting new ones, helping someone get a call, and having a line on Saturday morning for my coffee :-D

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1395018_10201657911121461_1154978250_n.jpg?oh=75bf 3a3a5ea01cbb9588d7ce376fd010&oe=5293EF90

markG
11-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Seeing old friends, meeting new ones, helping someone get a call, and having a line on Saturday morning for my coffee :-D

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1395018_10201657911121461_1154978250_n.jpg?oh=75bf 3a3a5ea01cbb9588d7ce376fd010&oe=5293EF90

I was thankful for Ron's coffee when I made the spur of the moment trip to Davenport, IA this year to cook in a comp.

I enjoyed the competition and the competitors out there so much, that I plan on making the trip out with the RV and a proper smoker and set up next year.

Rich Parker
11-24-2013, 03:26 PM
My greatest time this year was when my wife came to Death's Door with me. She stayed the night at the resort but she was there most of the time. :-D

Pappy Q
11-24-2013, 04:11 PM
The great people I've met and now call friends

Coz
11-24-2013, 05:04 PM
As a young team that has been helped by 2 different accomplished teams, I thank you for what you do. Without folks like you helping the young teams, i believe many of us would get frustrated and quit.

There is exactly why we try to help. Here in Wisconsin we don't have a lot of teams and need to keep the new ones coming .

Fat Woody
11-24-2013, 05:18 PM
The great people I've met and now call friends

Yup! That and cooking with my family and friends!

motoeric
11-24-2013, 08:11 PM
There is a food drive at every event we run here in NY.

The first time we did it, the food bank picked up the donations in a van. The van was a good 4 inches closer to the ground when they left. That was pretty cool. Lots of canned food, lots of cooked BBQ for people who need it.

Eric

Kit R
11-25-2013, 06:50 AM
Mine is the smile on my 3 year old daughters face when she ran across the field to give me a hug after we got a few calls. She only made it to 2 comps so it was priceless. Unfortunately, the worst part of the season involved her as well. At the last comp of the year we didnt get a top 5 and she asked "when do we get to go on the stage", talk about motivation for next season!

Pop Pop was surely smiling when he saw your awesome hospitality at Woodstock this year. That is a great deal for you guys to be able to compete right there at the fairgrounds and across from his house. Hope to be back there many times in the future.

chickenchoker
11-25-2013, 07:34 AM
I would have to say it was the fact that it led me to helping and volunteering at a handful of charity cooks last year including cooking for OBR for Sandy in Hoboken and more particularly in Staten Island and the family it has created. That led to 3 more charity cooks (not OBR) here in Jersey for other victims of Sandy. I would also have to say for the great friends in general I have acquired over the years..... there are not many people greater than the BBQ community

Kave Dweller
11-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Its the friendliest competition ever. Last comp I bought ribs friday night from Coz and borrowed honey from other friends saturday morning (my honey didn't travel well that weekend). I like hearing friends get calls as much as our own.

Every comp we meet new people and 99% of this "sport" is truly good people I like being around.

ShencoSmoke
11-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Pop Pop was surely smiling when he saw your awesome hospitality at Woodstock this year. That is a great deal for you guys to be able to compete right there at the fairgrounds and across from his house. Hope to be back there many times in the future.

Thanks Kit, that's what its all about. I would really like to see Woodstock become a 50+ team comp. If anyone else agrees, I will start lobbying the organizers now, they seem to be content with 30-40.

I very much enjoyed getting to know the MABA teams this year. It's a great bunch of guys and gals, I'm looking forward to next year.

Serious Hog
11-25-2013, 12:53 PM
We can relate to so many of these responses! Almost from the minute we arrived at our first contest, we started meeting really cool people and making great memories. Here in Tennessee, we are pretty well into the off-season now, but you wouldn't believe how much of our daily conversation still revolves around competitions past and future.

Gadragonfly
11-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Earning and enjoying the friendship of people like Terrell Jones, Sam & Diane Grogan and Bobbie McWright while they were still with us, and a hundred other great folks who live on to participate in this crazy BBQ Gypsy lifestyle each weekend.

Gowan, I ran across this photo this past weekend. I plan to share it on Facebook but your comment above made me think about it and thought I'd post it here...

CivilWarBBQ
11-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Ah, there are the Grogans and Tony Stone too - how could I forget to mention him? That old picture is from two years before Tony passed away. It was the smallest BBQ contest I ever judged - only eight teams! Part of a special invitational series Prilosec did in conjunction with NASCAR in 2009. Good times.

JD McGee
11-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Crisscrossing the country with my best friend! Sampling our leftover meats for charity and hearing the occasional "oh my gawd" from perfect strangers...:cool:

Bubba
11-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Hearing that a team that took my competition cooking class won a grand champion. Proud of those guys

Swinebuck
11-26-2013, 08:30 AM
We here at Too Sauced To Pork open up membership spots every year for people from all over the World to join the team for Memphis In May. Last year we had members from 8 foreign countries and 21 US States. This years contest honors the country of Panama and is held Wednesday May 14th to Saturday May 17th on the banks of the mighty Mississippi. It is like a family reunion with a number of members who return year after year. By joining our team visitors get to be on the inside of the competition not just an observer. We also have a BBQ Brethern mixer so all the Brethern members on other teams can meet the people we read about on this forum. Memberships are now open for this years competition. If you want more information just go to our web site.

Scottie
11-26-2013, 12:39 PM
I could list things like cooking in 40 different states, having past students win almost every major contest the last few years (no I do not take credit), seeing past students get 180's using my exact recipe, giving teams the avenue to raise money for cancer research, talking to cancer survivors at contests, having a team raise almost $10,000 for cancer research selling a WSM, having teams give a percentage of their wins to fight Cancer, having business' giving month sale total back to the foundation, having Friday night fun, A-Team, shigging.

But probably the greatest feeling that I have had was at Stagecoach 2009. Monica Benedict from Arizona had recently passed away. Jay was a big influence in BBQ in the early days in AZ and CA (guess the whole west). Folks decided to pass a clam shell to make a donation for cancer research in her memory. I saw Jay and was watching how he was going to react. Honestly, I almost broke down before Jay. There was a ton of money raised at that awards ceremony. I believe over $2,000. Merl called Jay and myself up to the stage. The only thing I remember is Jaybird pointing for the heavens. It was an amazing awards and the love for Jay and Monica will always go down as one of the greatest things that I got to be a part of in BBQ.

Smitty250
11-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Well said Scottie! Jay had a huge influence on me when I started competing. He is one of the reasons I got into competing and is one of the best BBQ guys I know!

tnjimbob
11-26-2013, 02:55 PM
At comps, getting to hang out with some awesome teams & friends that I don't get to see very often, and at non-comp benefit events, being able to share my limited skills with others. I have cooked pulled pork for our church for the Room in the Inn program for the past three years, and the people we cook for are genuinely thankful for the meals we prepare for them. It is humbling and exciting all at the same time.

I look forward to doing that cook every year as much or more than competing.

Craigie Mack
11-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Best memory so far this year was telling my 7 yr old twins that daddy was going to stop doing it with his friends as the Flavor of Rub BBQ Team, and starting my our own team as Craigie Mack's BBQ Shack. They helped design our banner, and an artist friend of mine designed our logo that included the three of us...they flipped when they saw it!

I heard Santa got them team t shirts, so they should enjoy them as much as their PS4 and Skylanders....

Crash
11-27-2013, 04:21 AM
Hands down for us was being offered the Heart of a Champion accomplishment in AZ in 2010 for charitable fundraising. Jay (Otis and the Bird) and Scottie (CSC) were the one to hand off the award.

Best walk we ever took, bar none!!!