PDA

View Full Version : Turkey in brine temp?

Matt82
11-23-2013, 09:11 PM
First of all this site is great. I have found most of my answers by just searching the forums. But I have one problem I haven't been able to answer...

My turkey and two chickens are in a cooler with brine. I have been placing gallon size ziplock bags of ice inside to chill the brine. I put a wireless meat thermometer in the turkey to watch the temp. I can not get the temp below 44 F but there is plenty of ice and I threw in the ice out of the icemaker to see if it would melt. The extra loose ice has been floating without melting for two hours and the temp still hasn't dropped below 44 F.

Any ideas/suggestions?

dkelly75
11-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Is the temp probe correct?

Matt82
11-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Don't really know. I boil tested it so I know it is right at boiling. The temp just dropped to 41 F so I think its going be alright. Was just worried I might lose the birds if it didn't come down quick.

BigBellyBBQ
11-24-2013, 06:58 AM
you will be okay, keep the ice floating and remember the salt in the brine will melt/pull the heat out of the icey water sooner to chill the solution

HBMTN
11-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Fill a 16oz glass full of ice cubes and then fill with cold water. Wait 5 minutes and then probe the ice water mixture with your thermometer, it should read very close to 32 degrees if not you need a new thermometer or calibration. You must get the temperate of your brine to 41 degrees or colder and maintain it for safety. I would go to Walmart and get one of those small storage containers just large enough to hold the turkey and a gallon of brine and you can fit it in the refrigerator.