View Full Version : Competing as a one man team

11-20-2013, 02:31 PM
I love my teammates to death, but sometime it's just too hard getting everyone on the same page! So I thought I'd see if I could handle a comp on my own in the spring. I'll have 2 drums to cook all 4 entries on. One of them has a 2nd grate and a domed lid, but I don't use that one for comps much. So I'm leaning towards playing it safe and just doing a single grate on each drum.

First question right out of the gate is what is my maximum time to safely store hot, cooked meat in a hot cooler? I've done some butts before in the past that have sat in a hot box for 5+ hours and were still blazing hot when I took them out. By my math, I'm thinking that will be my maximum storage time needed once it's time start making room on one of the drums for the shorter chicken and rib cooks. Am I safe?

11-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Buy yourself a Cambro and you won't have anything to worry about!

11-20-2013, 02:51 PM
no need for a cambro. it's more covenient form sure though.

i cook as a one man on 2 22's.

pork i've kept 6 hours, still too hot to hold with bare hands.

brisket cools quicker, but i've done @ 4 hours i think and been OK.

11-20-2013, 03:23 PM
A Cambro and/or an empty cooler will be your best friends.

11-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Be careful if you are planning on putting 2 butts and a brisket in The Cambro. The heat from the hot butts will basically make the inside of the Cambro a low temp oven and potentially dry out the brisket. I would suggest using a cooler/ towel wrap to hold the brisket, separate from the butts.

Rich Parker
11-20-2013, 06:19 PM
I cook by myself with two drums. I cook big meats on one drum and when done transfer them to the cambro and start the chicken. Other drum is for ribs only.

11-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Generally speaking you should be fine @ 5 hours.

11-21-2013, 02:10 PM
I do it all by myself. My wife makes turn-in boxes and lends the occasional hand (literally just "hold this for 3 seconds please") but nothing else.

It takes some planning and creative thinking sometimes, but go for it.