PDA

View Full Version : Changing Team Name

RumRunner_1492
11-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Last year we took part in our first competition. To say we got the bug is an understatement. I didn't bring my KCBS number with me so our team results weren't tracked on the KCBS website. This year we plan on doing at least 6 competitions and we want to make sure our results are being tracked by KCBS.

For our first competition this year we have a sponsor who is covering all of our costs. They have asked that we use their name for our BBQ Team during the event for advertising. Is it possible to do that and still have KCBS track our information? Could I initially go with their name and then change the team name on KCBS to our actual team name? I looked on the KCBS site but couldn't find anything.

I appreciate the help.

Ted

Ford
11-20-2013, 12:10 PM
I think they are now tracking by member number. Give the office a call to confirm.

TooSaucedToPork
11-20-2013, 02:07 PM
The moment you give up your name is the moment other people own your team...think before agreeing to it.

ShencoSmoke
11-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Keep your team name but have 2 banners. Use the sponsor banner for sponsored comps but on paper you will always be the kcbs # of the head cook. That way you can maintain your name and TOY points but the sponsor gets the banner recognition.

Pole D
11-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Do you want it to be your team or do you want to cook for them?

EverettBBQ
11-20-2013, 09:01 PM
You can change your team name any time you want, and your scores will follow. This is a fact, we changed our name this last September and our scores followed us.
Why does your spencer want you to use their name?
Typical is team name with sponcers names.
Do they want an exclusive?

Hawg Father of Seoul
11-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Don't stress about the name thing. You are getting hard cash to learn the game. TAKE THE CASH.

It is by member number so just make sure the KCBS rep has your member number at each contest.

Icekub
11-20-2013, 11:46 PM
I would start by talking to your sponsor. Explain that the results are tracked etc. and find out what he is hoping to get out of his sponsorship. Then, find a way to give him everything he wants. If he wants everything, then ask him to put it under his own kcbs # and you could just have the other 5 under yours. Sponsorship seems to be about finding out what the sponsor wants out of it and delivering.

Smokin Hoggz
11-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Keep your team name but have 2 banners. Use the sponsor banner for sponsored comps but on paper you will always be the kcbs # of the head cook. That way you can maintain your name and TOY points but the sponsor gets the banner recognition.

+1, great idea!!!!!..................On the app for the contest for team name you could do something like this:

TEAM NAME: SPONSOR NAME(Your Team Name)

MattG
11-21-2013, 07:37 AM

I agree with the banners. You could also put sings on your trailer. I wouldn't want to change my team name every time someone wants to sponsor us.

RumRunner_1492
11-21-2013, 08:28 AM
You can change your team name any time you want, and your scores will follow. This is a fact, we changed our name this last September and our scores followed us.
Why does your spencer want you to use their name?
Typical is team name with sponcers names.
Do they want an exclusive?

They are looking for some advertisement out of the competition. If it was a local contest I would be more concerned about our name being used. We live in OH and this is a competition in FL. We are combining a bit of a vacation with the competition. The fact that they are willing to pay the entry and the cost of meat for the competition makes the trip a lot easier. I will still squeeze my banner in somewhere.

I'm glad to hear I can change team names and keep the scores.

RumRunner_1492
11-21-2013, 08:30 AM
I agree with the banners. You could also put sings on your trailer. I wouldn't want to change my team name every time someone wants to sponsor us.

I wouldn't change it every time. This is a one time thing. If we already had a team name established I wouldn't do it but the fact is we don't have a name with any scores associated to it yet.

Smokedelic
11-21-2013, 08:38 AM
The moment you give up your name is the moment other people own your team...think before agreeing to it.
Well, based on my experience, I respectfully disagree.

Sponsors are a good thing!

Fat Freddy
11-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Who gets the awards or any prize money? You or the sponsor? If you get to keep the awards and the sponsor foots the bills what is the downside of getting experience on someone elses dime, your points will still be tracked.

Heck if it was me and only requirement was changing team name I would do it in heartbeat to have a comp and meat paid for, long as they dont require a specific rub or sauce, brand of meat etc.....

RumRunner_1492
11-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Who gets the awards or any prize money? You or the sponsor? If you get to keep the awards and the sponsor foots the bills what is the downside of getting experience on someone elses dime, your points will still be tracked.

Heck if it was me and only requirement was changing team name I would do it in heartbeat to have a comp and meat paid for, long as they dont require a specific rub or sauce, brand of meat etc.....

Great question and I agree with you. Any winnings or prizes will be mine (not that I am expecting any). I am also using all of my own recipes. Basically I look at it that I am getting someone to pay for me to have fun and get experience.

dhuffjr
11-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Great question and I agree with you. Any winnings or prizes will be mine (not that I am expecting any). I am also using all of my own recipes. Basically I look at it that I am getting someone to pay for me to have fun and get experience.
I'd probably not do it but I'm stubborn like that. You've done better than I have in finding someone in Dayton for sponsorship dollars. I talked with a couple of places with no luck.

BoneDaddy's
11-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Who will the prize check be made out to! It is usually to the team name registered, not the head cook. Can you cash a check not made out to you or your team?