PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for Ice?

Ashmont
05-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I have posted this on serval forums so if you have responded there no need to here.

Our BBQ comp in July has gotten all the bids for ICE. I am not sure how to take this but it does not seem that anyone will give us a break or donate. I understand this but not happy. So in estimating how much we need so we dont get stuck with ice that wont be used and have not place to keep it frozen. Can you tell us if you would prefer a 7lb bag or 20lb bag and what is a reasonable price that you would pay?

BrooklynQ
05-04-2006, 02:13 PM
What's the going price in your area? I won't want to spend any more than say a 20% markup.

Ashmont
05-04-2006, 02:34 PM
20# bag 4-5 bucks

Ashmont

BBQchef33
05-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Early on the fiirst day, 20lbs bags should be available, but once its just just maintenance time when everything has cooled down, 7lbs would suffice.

If its sold by a distributor to the competitors, why a 20% markup? Dont see why an organizers need to markup ice at all. We allready pay an entry fee, which im sure they get a cut of and at alot of comps the ice is free(included in entry fees). If its not then it should be available at the organizers cost, or the normal rate of the vendor... unless of course we can get a bulk discount.

JMHO..

Ashmont
05-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Just marked up from our cost to the nearest dollar to make it easy. Wouldnt guage people like the gas industry. Sorry had to say that!

Ashmont

BrooklynQ
05-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I don't want to see anyone paying more than they have to, but I could see paying a little for the convienence of having it delivered to the site. From what I understand, free ice at a comp is a rare thing.

As for local contests Guitarbeque does it,but I don't think Grill Kings, Highland or Podunk did.

And as for the promoters marking up the ice, well there are a lot of costs needed to be recouped by the promoter for holding the event. Its more than just the cost of the ice. Space rental, insurance, advertising, security, etc.

Jeff_in_KC
05-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I agree with Phil... at cost or free ice. Osage City provided us with free ice. We paid $1 per 7 pound bag at Warsaw. Not sure what to expect the rest of the season.

BBQchef33
05-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Podunk, Ashbury park and Key largo was free. I'm not sure of Highland. Grill king we were on our own last year and im not sure about the previous.

willkat98
05-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Thank you Phil, for not getting into the "sleeve" thing.

I cannot comment, competition pricing, but its $1.80 for a 10# and $3.80 for a 25# bag at the gas station.

Its even cheaper when I need alot and buy it at the ice house up the road a piece

BBQchef33
05-04-2006, 09:27 PM
The didnt have sleeves at the comps.. :)

7lb or 20 lb bags.

largo drives around witha golf cart and packed 150 qt cooler. u just scoop out of their cooler into your own.

jgh1204
05-04-2006, 10:30 PM
At our festival, we are lucky, while they dont donate the ice, the local company does bring out 2 chest freezers for convenience and a reefer truck to hold all the pallets of ice. They only charge for what we use and they give us a decent price.

We only get 20# bags, $2.05/bag this year with no delivery, pickup or setup fees.

parrothead
05-05-2006, 08:21 AM
I have not had to pay for ice at the comps in my area. I think the reason being that they want to insure that people keep the meat below 40 degrees and some people won't buy that extra bag of ice to insure that.

Also what was just said above me. The ice vendor should be able to drop a refer truck or something and only charge you for what you use.

BrooklynQ
05-05-2006, 08:23 AM
I'd rather have the reefer truck that jgh uses.

cmcadams
05-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Marty,

From a cook's perspective, I look at it this way:

I've paid $200 for entry, which includes some water out of hose, a little bit of electricity, some cans for trash and ashes. I bring a bunch of ice with me because I have to get from home to the comp with meat still cold. At the hottest comp, I got ice 3 times from the organizers. It would have been a pain in the butt to pay for it each time, as I was in the middle of something each time they came by.

If I had to pay for it, I wouldn't be overly thrilled, but I'd prefer to have an amount to prepay... say figure out how much ice you think is going to be needed, how much that would cost, and offer a reasonable amount per team if they prepay... say if you thought it might be $12/team needed, offer a $10 prepay for ice. Or charge an extra $10-25 for entry fees. I'd actually probably pay more overall to not have to deal with it... but too much, and I'd just say I'll make my own ice runs.

Bellybro
05-05-2006, 08:51 AM
I definitely agree if you can figure the cost in somehow to the entry fee if there has to be a charge. I know at the Boone County Fair here in Missouri it always seems a llittle pricy. I'm thinking it was like $5.00 for 20#. One oof the other MOFO's please correct me if I'm wrong!

Solidkick
05-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I agree on adding a little extra into the entry fee to include ice, say 3 bags or 4 bags.

Then if you have teams that have a margarita machine,( I can't think of a one in MoFo country... :cool: ) and they need to buy more, have it available for a price. When the 'ritas are flowing on Friday night, the ice man cometh frequently......maybe just to refill his cup....:mrgreen:

Solidkick
05-05-2006, 09:01 AM
5.00 was right for Boco fair.....and it was 116* outside.....a 20# bag was about 12# by the time it got delivered!!!

Ashmont
05-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the input. These are all good ideas that were are mulling over but dont know if we can institute all at this years comp. As for the pay as you need all bids came in you buy it we dont take it back and EVERYONE came back with the standard 150.00 rental fee on equipment. Yes they will sell for example at 20# bag for 2.50+ depending on the operator but figure in the 150.00 and you way into the 3.50+ range unless you sell a butt load. NOw you can go to thier dock and buy it for the 2.50+ but you have to haul it and keep it frozen. They are very willing to work with you.... hmm I am better off finding a donor with the cash and use the cash to buy the ice. BTW we are activly looking for a business or private donor in the area to do just this... So maybe it will be free or discounted or not but were trying.

Bellybro
05-05-2006, 09:28 AM
OOPS I guess that's right. We tend to use a little more for other reasons than keeping our meet cold. We do share though!