PDA

View Full Version : Reheating briskets

jbrodgers
11-19-2013, 10:16 AM
What would you all reccomend for reheating whole briskets/pork butts that were cooled overnight in the fridge? Need to bring them back up to safe reheating tem within the proper time frame... and without loss of quality and moisture.

Also does anyone use a hot hold cabinet? How long can you hold the product before loosing quality?

BigBellyBBQ
11-19-2013, 01:01 PM
plasti wrap with juice
cambro for 10 hours and still hot

Sawdustguy
11-19-2013, 02:30 PM
IMHO the best way to reheat any BBQ is to vacuum seal it in a bag and refrigerate it. When ready to eat simply throw the bag in a pot of boiling water to heat it back up. You will retain all the moisture and flavor. They make vacuum seal bags large enough for a whole brisket.

Pyle's BBQ
11-19-2013, 10:05 PM
You can also take them off just before they are done. Cool them overnight and then put them in a pans with some broth and then reheat them until they are done. Generally it takes about 2 hours at 400*F for butts and brisket will depend on how big it is. If you have it done most of the way, you will not have to take it all the way up to 190-200*F. Start checking to see if is done at about 180 and pull when done. Like BigBelly said they will hold in a cambro for quite a while.

jbrodgers
11-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Yhanks Y'all... Great info. I have thought about the vacuum sealing but thought a commercial system would be too pricey... do they make the large bags big enough for the home sealer models? And are they boilable? Where do I get boiling bags?

Is these methods ok with HACCP/health codes?

My plan for example, is to smoke my prodct the day before, chill, reheat, then sell it the next. Would I loose the "bark"?

What is the order/routine y'all use in your concessions/business?

TommiRio
11-20-2013, 09:46 AM
here's a little feedback on safe food. I've been doing this type of work for a while. methods vary on heating and cooling.

the vacuum seal reheat in boiling water is one of the best methods. it's fast and will retain the juices.

Whole muscle meats are generally pretty safe, no real need to worry about the temperature danger zone. Poultry and ground meats should never be in the temperature danger zone for more than 4 hours.

Over all cooling is the big issue. Cut large meats into smaller sections. You can vacuum seal and put in ice water for faster cooling. (I love my vacuum sealer only second to my smoker LOL)

Cooling rules
> 140 no time limit
cool from 140-70 in 2 hours
cool from 70-40 in 2 hours
hold before 40