PDA

View Full Version : Miter Box for Slicing MM?

Teamfour
11-19-2013, 07:49 AM
We sometimes have issues with the MM wanting to fall apart when slicing. This isn't a result of overcooking - more like the segments of the MM just wanting to separate. I have some NSF HDPE plastic sheet coming and am going to build a miter box for slicing. I will post pictures when I am done testing.

Anyone see issues or benefits with this?

Bbq Bubba
11-19-2013, 08:31 AM
umm....maybe sharpen your knives. if the individual muscles are falling apart you rendered out all the fat thus overcooked.

Sawdustguy
11-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Sure sounds like a combination of overcooked pork and a dull knife. If you feel the miter box will help, go for it but do not be surprised if it doesn't.

Gowan
11-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Two words: electric knife.

RobKC
11-19-2013, 11:18 AM
^^^^ truth ^^^^

jaestar
11-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Two words: electric knife.

Was about to post the same thing.

I use the Cuisinart CEK-40.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CEK-40-Electric-Knife/dp/B00004WKI3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384881933&sr=8-1&keywords=cuisanart+electric+knife

Jaskew82
11-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Was about to post the same thing.

I use the Cuisinart CEK-40.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CEK-40-Electric-Knife/dp/B00004WKI3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384881933&sr=8-1&keywords=cuisanart+electric+knife

This too! I was about to look up my electric knife but you beat me to it. This is the knife I use to cut ribs, brisket and MM. Its awesome.

Slamdunkpro
11-19-2013, 01:12 PM
To me it's just one more thing to clean and carry. I use a sharp scalloped edge knife for pork.

Scottie
11-19-2013, 01:26 PM
If you need a mitre box, it osnover cooled and you might as we use it for lulled. I do like Mike. A brisket slicing knife doesn't work. I think mine is a Forchner ham slicing knife?

Slamdunkpro
11-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Here's a pic of the scalloped slicer
http://mabbqa.com/zencart/images/large/superslicer.png

swamprb
11-20-2013, 08:02 AM
http://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Kitchen-Slicer-Slicing-Cutting/dp/B0090VYA4C/ref=sr_1_3/177-8423869-1882503?ie=UTF8&qid=1384955971&sr=8-3&keywords=bread+slicer+guide

big matt
11-20-2013, 10:06 AM
This too! I was about to look up my electric knife but you beat me to it. This is the knife I use to cut ribs, brisket and MM. Its awesome.

I use the same knife as above too..a couple things I'll add if your slicing a lot of meat for catering or a party be sure to give it a rest once in awhile..we are on our 5th or 6th one as I've burnt the motors out and it gives off an electrical fire smell when they do burn out..also I think you need fairly good knife skill to begin with before using electric ones..it works great when slicing brisket on the bias

Slamdunkpro
11-20-2013, 10:50 AM
I use the same knife as above too..a couple things I'll add if your slicing a lot of meat for catering or a party be sure to give it a rest once in awhile..we are on our 5th or 6th one as I've burnt the motors out and it gives off an electrical fire smell when they do burn out
QFT - we burned up 6 doing the Big Apple BBQ one year.

Untraceable
11-20-2013, 11:23 AM
So thats a good electric knife huh? been meaning to look into them but I see so many different ones and I wasnt sure what was junk and which were legit.

BMerrill
11-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Consider an electric knife as a disposable commodity.
The food you are cutting and the greasy hands that hold it greatly shorten the lifespan. Slipping a exam type glove over the body before inserting the blades and changing out between each meat helps.

rolfejr
11-20-2013, 03:18 PM
+ one on the CEK, maybe just a tad overcooked

Gowan
11-21-2013, 04:03 AM
Consider an electric knife as a disposable commodity.
The food you are cutting and the greasy hands that hold it greatly shorten the lifespan. Slipping a exam type glove over the body before inserting the blades and changing out between each meat helps.

While the concept seems sound, I would think gloving the motor housing would close off the vents and cause overheating and premature failure?

ButtBurner
11-21-2013, 04:39 AM
http://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Kitchen-Slicer-Slicing-Cutting/dp/B0090VYA4C/ref=sr_1_3/177-8423869-1882503?ie=UTF8&qid=1384955971&sr=8-3&keywords=bread+slicer+guide

the reviews on this says its POS

swamprb
11-21-2013, 05:55 AM
the reviews on this says its POS

you get what you pay for, the MM reviews are stellar!

shares
11-21-2013, 12:07 PM
It's not easy to find an electric knife that's not disposable right out of the box. But there are some. Look up the Berkley TEC TurboGlide LI Fillet Knife System. I've been using it in competition for several years and it never lets me down. And it's cordless.

Slamdunkpro
11-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Look up the Berkley TEC TurboGlide LI Fillet Knife System. I've been using it in competition for several years and it never lets me down. And it's cordless.

I have one of these, my only complaint with it (and why I don't use it at comps) is that the blade cycle rate is too slow and it leaves saw marks instead of a clean cut. It's great for fishing though.

RangerJ
11-21-2013, 03:31 PM
You know when you get it right based on how it slices and if its wrong, I'm not sure how a Mitre box is going to help.

shares
11-21-2013, 03:33 PM
I have one of these, my only complaint with it (and why I don't use it at comps) is that the blade cycle rate is too slow and it leaves saw marks instead of a clean cut. It's great for fishing though.
Interesting. Mine doesn't do that but I do keep the blade moving to make sure it doesn't happen.

John Bowen
11-21-2013, 03:53 PM
You know when you get it right based on how it slices and if its wrong, I'm not sure how a Mitre box is going to help.

I think he is talking about the MM shifting as he cuts - we had one last comp that had a small slit right down the middle - it was like the meat seperated. I had to cut the meat holding the top part and the bottom part together. The MM looked like a horseshoe after it was cut. If I had not seen it before I started cutting the meat would have shifted and not been even.

It was a pain holding the two pieces together and a lot could have gone wrong - I think a sided tray or half tube would have helped.

rhazzon
11-21-2013, 04:10 PM
A simple trick I've watched Sushi Chef's use is to wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then slice, keeping a small end of the wrap out of the knife's reach. Slice through the plastic wrapped meat, then grab the edge that isn't cut to unwrap. It's certainly worth a shot.

BogsBBQ
11-22-2013, 06:50 AM
It also may help if you have another person holding the meat in place while you slice. To me, the mitre box sounds like a huge PITA. I simply don't have time to fuss with that at competitions. Of course, we almost always turn in our entries during the final minute, which you'll probably see on TV next year when the WFC show is aired. Makes for dramatic TV, but it's just par for the course for us. Electric knife works for me.

BMerrill
11-22-2013, 08:15 AM
While the concept seems sound, I would think gloving the motor housing would close off the vents and cause overheating and premature failure?

For the length of time the knife is operating at a contest, its not an issue. I change the glove between meats. Only use it to slice pork and brisket. In a catering or restaurant it would be an issue.

Muzzlebrake
11-22-2013, 08:39 AM
It also may help if you have another person holding the meat in place while you slice.

If you need an electric knife or a miter box to cut your pork, there ain't no way I am putting my fingers anywhere close.

I would recommend getting a good knife, keeping it sharp and just practice a little. Personally I have never understood the need for power tools to slice meat or pull pork but hey that's why they make choices.

BogsBBQ
11-22-2013, 10:03 AM
If you need an electric knife or a miter box to cut your pork, there ain't no way I am putting my fingers anywhere close.

Wimp. :)

I agree with practicing and doing what works for you.

If I'm using a manual knife, having someone push lightly on one end of the MM while I push lightly on the other end and slicing with my other hand is my process. Nobody has ever been harmed. I've been cutting meat with knives since I was 11 (child labor by parents who owned a butcher shop). If I'm using an electric knife, no pushing is needed. That's what works for me.