PDA

View Full Version : brisket, butts and ribs in an alto shaam hot holding cabinet...how long?

early mornin' smokin'
11-18-2013, 11:28 AM
So how long can I leave butts and briskets in an alto shaam set at 160? Looking to pull the big meats from the cooker at 6-7 to then transition over to rib cooking for the day. So the butts and brisket will likely see about 6-8 hours in the hot holding cabinet. What about ribs? if I cook them slightly under and hold them, how long can they stay? is 3-4 hours out of the question? any tips, tricks, advice is appreciated.

Pyle's BBQ
11-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Will the brisket and butts be fully cooked or are you going to finish them in the alto sham? Pork butts will last quite a long time if you keep them whole. The brisket has a tendency to over cook if it is left in a holding cabinet too long. Ribs will hold well if slightly undercooked. You will want to have these done in shifts. Having some ribs that are done and ready for service and some that can be kept in the holding cabinet. If I remember correctly, you plan on sell out every day, right? Are you cooking on the Spicewine? How much do you plan to cook each day?

I reheat my brisket a pork as whole pieces in the oven. It works for me right now.

early mornin' smokin'
11-19-2013, 09:10 AM
i'm going to be cooking on the spice wine and 2 fec 120's inside. we do plan on selling out, and whatever we don't sell we'll turn into a chili or a special for the next day

Pyle's BBQ
11-19-2013, 11:34 PM
If you are going to be selling out, I don't believe you will have a problem holding things in an alto sham. Just keep them as whole pieces until you are ready to serve them.

cynfulsmokersbbq
12-06-2013, 02:05 PM
I reheat my brisket a pork as whole pieces in the oven. It works for me right now.

Do you undercook it at all for the reheat?
What temp do you reheat to?
What temp is the oven at?
By oven do we mean a G.E. or a FEC?

Thanks!