PDA

View Full Version : camper trailers at comps?

coastal
11-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Are they allowed or does it have to be a all in one RV unite.

I ask because I am looking at airstreams and if I ever start my dream of competitive BBQ it would be nice to bring it with me as a sleep and prep area.

The comps I have been to locally everyone had a all in one style unit not a pull behind trailer camper. Granted many did have pull behind storage trailers of course.

I know some rv parks, tailgate lots, etc. Have strange rules so just double checking of anyone has ever had a issue

fnbish
11-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Never been to a comp where there wasn't campers. I love mine.

coastal
11-14-2013, 09:45 PM
I realize after I posted I have seen many custume BBQ trailers which are pretty much campers as well. Just nervous before I big purchase and making sure it can accomplish all my life's dreams i guess

What kind of camper do you have? Any suggestions?

Ron_L
11-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Before you buy a travel trailer think about how you are going to haul your smokers and other stuff you may need. We have a toy hauler which gives us a place to haul the smokers, etc. and also the advantages of a camper.

CivilWarBBQ
11-15-2013, 01:47 AM
The choice of rig is very personal, and depends on your lifestyle, cookers, family, wallet, tow vehicle and a dozen other factors.

In my experience it is an exercise in compromise for most people. (If you have unlimited funds, this comment doesn't apply to you). What makes a good RV typically makes a poor mobile kitchen and vice-versa, so you have to think about your priorities. Cargo trailers can be set up to work very well for prep, cooking and smoker transport, but they are far from what most wives would call comfortable. An Airstream is a fine family camper, but you will be challenged to find ways to store all the food, supplies and equipment needed for a competition, and your set up and tear-down time will be greater.

From a cost perspective, in addition to the initial acquisition cost, you must consider what each rig will require in contest fees for space & power, plus of course the fuel to get it there.

I've seen folks compete without even a canopy and I know cooks who travel in rigs that cost more than my house. One thing is certain, as your circumstances change, so will your perspective on what you "need". Be sure whatever you get into has sufficient resale value that you can get out of it should things change.

Good luck!

rksylves
11-15-2013, 06:11 AM
We used to have a 27' Sunnybrook TT and shortly after I got started in comps I took it with me a couple of times. It didn't work out very well and the then wife was really torqued about the smell. The onboard kitchen was far too small to be useful and I had to be super careful to not get anything on the furniture. I ended up still having to compete under an EZ-Up which was exactly where I started. So I quit using it.

I'm firmly convinced that either buying or building a purpose-made trailer is the way to go. There's no reason why the 'man-cave' portion of a BBQ trailer can't be comfortable and appointed with the same fixtures (A/C, shower, toilet, a real bed, TV, etc.) as a TT or 5'ver. But that's my opinion.

Russ

cpw
11-15-2013, 07:10 AM
If I had the money for it, I think I'd like to have a "concession" style enclosed trailer that is pulled by a small motorhome. We cooked out of a borrowed RV this summer and it was a pain in the butt to cook in, but great to hang out and sleep in, especially for the wife and kids.

To answer your question, there's always a wide array of camping trailers at every competition I've been at.

Smokin Hoggz
11-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Yes, campers are allowed at the contests we go to...........IMO, if you are serious about getting some sort of camper/trailer. Either get a custom built utility trailer or a Toy Hauler. For two years we competed out of a 7x12 enclosed trailer, had the prep inside and slept on cots under a 10x10 EZUP. This year we upgraded to a 30' Toy Hauler, it has a 10' garage w/ rear ramp door and a door seperating the living space from the garage. We still cook outside under the EZUP, but everything else is done inside the garage area (Prep to Presentation). We can be completely set up in about an hour and break down about 1 1/2 hrs max!! because of this set up we were able to do 19 contests this year, which was double what we did last year and the year before. Good luck in your decision!!!

Untraceable
11-15-2013, 08:14 AM
+1 on the Toy Hauler route. Theres a few small toyhaulers out there that would be great multi purpose units

Jayco Octane super lite
http://www.jayco.com/products/toy-haulers/octane-zx-super-lite

VRV's look awesome
http://www.livinlite.com/6x15vrv-overview.php

Coachmen Adrenaline Blast campers (might be out of production)

ShencoSmoke
11-15-2013, 08:40 AM
We have a small toy hauler that works perfectly for us. The best part is that I compete one weekend and can go camping the next, so it was a justifiable purchase because it is multifunctional.

SmokeUSum
11-15-2013, 08:58 AM
The best "outta the yard" rig I've seen is a four horse slant stock with "cowboy" living quarters. I guess it appealed to me because I have a horse trailer with an oversize dressing room I converted to a living quarters... Not sure I'm willing to kick my pons out for a smoker, but it's a thought...

Anyway, dude's trailer had the stall dividers removed and a fairly large smoker inside against the one long wall. As a stock trailer the sides are kinda open (think about seeing cows in a trailer, but taller to accommodate horses.) The smoker itself (reverse flow, I believe) had a flue coming out of the top and out through the roof vents. As a "cowboy conversion" it carried a fairly large fresh water tank. Directly opposite of the smoker on the other long wall was a stainless steel prep area and sink. Considering the length of a four-horse loading area, there was tons of room for all supplies needed. His living quarters looked a bit larger than mine so and most likely has a shower/potty combo and could sleep about 4 comfortably.

I thought the ingenuity of his rig was pretty good, considering you can pick up one of these for under $5k, and with a bit of out of the box thinking (or normally thinking if you hard-core trail ride but have a shoestring budget) can really create your own trailer... I guess at the end of the day it is still a toy hauler.... For those of us that ride the original all-terrain vehicle ;)

BaggerBill
11-15-2013, 11:12 AM
+1 on a toy hauler. It makes it a bit more comfortable for us.

Gerrit_Boys
11-16-2013, 08:06 AM
We either use a 16' cargo trailer pulled behind a 35' motorhome or I take my 30' 5th wheel pulling an Lang offset behind that. If it's any distance the 5th wheel setup is a way better towing experience. That motorhome setup sucks, especially if its windy, but the cargo trailer part is great. Ultimately, if I was going for broke, I'd get a 5th wheel porch style trailer or toy hauler with living quarters similar to a regular camper with at least one slideout being mandatory.

PigTamer
11-16-2013, 10:43 AM
We either use a 16' cargo trailer pulled behind a 35' motorhome or I take my 30' 5th wheel pulling an Lang offset behind that. If it's any distance the 5th wheel setup is a way better towing experience. That motorhome setup sucks, especially if its windy, but the cargo trailer part is great. Ultimately, if I was going for broke, I'd get a 5th wheel porch style trailer or toy hauler with living quarters similar to a regular camper with at least one slideout being mandatory.

Your setup looks sweet the couple times I saw it.

CBQ
11-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Toy hauler is the way to go. Whether you want to prep inside, or just use it to move your BBQ stuff, it gives you a lot of flexibility, and is generally going to have the comfort and amenities of a camper trailer or RV. You can get toy hauler trailers or RVs. We went the RV route so we don't have to tow anything. We generally like to work outside, but have prepped and boxed inside when the weather is cold or excessively windy.

sdmadsen
11-18-2013, 07:25 AM
You could also go my way and use the camper as a base and build from that.

http://i.imgur.com/4ONNfoj.jpg?1

SmokeUSum
11-18-2013, 09:52 AM
You could also go my way and use the camper as a base and build from that.

http://i.imgur.com/4ONNfoj.jpg?1

That's awesome! Love it!!

CivilWarBBQ
11-18-2013, 12:34 PM
+1 on that! I really dig these examples of good ol' American ingenuity.

Kudos you all you folks who have the tools and know-how to roll your own.

coastal
11-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Toy Hauler would be the best of both worlds. We had our heart set on a airstream but it just wont be practical to fit all of our needs.