PDA

View Full Version : KCBS + Restaurant Depot

New Pal Frank
11-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Back around the firt part of October, I went to Restaurant Depot and used the one day pass coupon from the KCBS site. The lady at the counter informed me that the Business License had expired. Has any one had a problem with the one day pass?

ShencoSmoke
11-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Not sure about the one day pass but there it is relatively easy to get membership there. I think most folks think you need to be in the food service business but that is not the case (at least when I signed up). I am a partner in a civil engineering firm, I simply took our business license in and signed my firm up. So if you have any type of business or know someone who does you can simply sign up under the business name. If they ask you simply can say that you are going to cater for clients. Also, when you sign up they give you 4 or 5 cards, so you can let friends/team members use them. Sorry this is a little off topic but it might be a way around the 1 day pass.

PatAttack
11-12-2013, 08:43 AM
NOW, if they would only bring one to Charleston S.C.!!!!!!

RD, are you listening?? We could use one here!!!

ButtBurner
11-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Not sure about the one day pass but there it is relatively easy to get membership there. I think most folks think you need to be in the food service business but that is not the case (at least when I signed up). I am a partner in a civil engineering firm, I simply took our business license in and signed my firm up. So if you have any type of business or know someone who does you can simply sign up under the business name. If they ask you simply can say that you are going to cater for clients. Also, when you sign up they give you 4 or 5 cards, so you can let friends/team members use them. Sorry this is a little off topic but it might be a way around the 1 day pass.

I did not even give them a buisness licence

All they were interested in was my employers Fed Tax ID# which is the same as the EIN (employer ID number) I am in the auto industry and have nothing to do with the food service buisness.

Just ask your employer for this number, tell them its for a warehouse club type membership if they ask.

fnbish
11-12-2013, 10:48 AM
I was there this morning and no problems. Mine does require a business license. The tax id wasn't enough. Seems like that varies by location.

Icekub
11-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Seems like a bit of luck involved. I had trouble w/ the day passes and a frustrated employee said "would you just like a membership card instead?"

pbj
11-12-2013, 10:54 AM
I needed a business license from the Minnesota Secretary of State(the original so they could copy it) and a state tax ID no. I have to bring in a renewal of the license every year.
My business......Drywall contractor.

themidniteryder
11-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Ours required our Sales Tax Resellers Permit. They never blinked an eye that a lawn mower repair shop wants to buy wholesale food stuff. Costco was actually harder, they wanted our Resellers permit AND a certified copy of the Ficticious Business Name filing. But On topic- I haven't heard of anyone out here having an issue with the KCBS pass lately.

DUBBAGA
11-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Ours required our Sales Tax Resellers Permit. They never blinked an eye that a lawn mower repair shop wants to buy wholesale food stuff. Costco was actually harder, they wanted our Resellers permit AND a certified copy of the Ficticious Business Name filing. But On topic- I haven't heard of anyone out here having an issue with the KCBS pass lately.

So Todd,

When is DUBBAGA going to get his employee RD card as the newest addition to Nuevo Lawn and Garden?
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/housework/mowing-the-lawn-smiley-emoticon.gif

Teamfour
11-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Once you get a day pass, hold on to it. I have been to RD many times and am still using the original slip of paper they gave me. They always offer to give it back.

JD McGee
11-12-2013, 06:53 PM
All I had to show was my KCBS membership card...:thumb:

poorolddan
11-12-2013, 07:39 PM
I think the difference in stores is because each store manager sets his/her own guidelines. I've been to many different RD locations across the country and they all seem to have their own way of doing things.

gmag
11-12-2013, 09:26 PM
The St Paul RD manager is savvy to comp barbeque. He saw my purchase one day and hit me with 100 questions. He is in total favor of the KCBS membership.

PigTamer
11-12-2013, 09:52 PM
The St Paul RD manager is savvy to comp barbeque. He saw my purchase one day and hit me with 100 questions. He is in total favor of the KCBS membership.

Good to know....was it a problem with the one day pass?

themidniteryder
11-12-2013, 10:32 PM
So Todd,

When is DUBBAGA going to get his employee RD card as the newest addition to Nuevo Lawn and Garden?
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/housework/mowing-the-lawn-smiley-emoticon.gif
I am sure we can work something out. When I was doing home remodeling I would have the customer pull a homeowners permit, and as long as he drove one nail it was legal. Guess you gotta come out and change a spark plug to make it "legal". And a beer. Cant forget the booze!!!

And didn't we cook against you in Ontario this year?

New Pal Frank
11-13-2013, 05:17 AM
Thanks for all the input. I don't own a business nor do I have access to a business license. I print the one day pass from the KCBS web site and take it in to buy meats for comps and some get to gethers.
Thre last time I took in the pass, they said that KCBS's business licenese has expired. I was wanting to know if they have corrected the problem or if any one has had a problem.

swamprb
11-13-2013, 11:12 AM
next time write down the phone#to KCBS - 1-800-963-5227 or 1-816-765-5891 and let them explain it to them. Membership has its rewards- don't stand for RD's bs

gmag
11-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Good to know....was it a problem with the one day pass?

I've never once had an issue with the day pass.

Their employees are full of attitude. Customer service gets a D-.

DUBBAGA
11-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Guess you gotta come out and change a spark plug to make it "legal". And a beer. Cant forget the booze!!!

And didn't we cook against you in Ontario this year?

You repair the equipment, why are you offering to let me do even more damage? :confused:

We were set up across from you in Ontario, we had the Brethren banner

RumRunner_1492
11-13-2013, 04:12 PM
I will be at RD tomorrow using the one day pass. I will let you know if I have an issue.

Theresa B
11-13-2013, 05:21 PM
I used my KCBS card at the Virginia Beach RD about 2 weeks ago with no problem. The checker always takes the slip from me so no chance of keeping it.

Theresa B
11-13-2013, 05:23 PM
You can print a certificate off the KCBS web site. I keep it in my purse but have never had to pull it out.

RumRunner_1492
11-15-2013, 06:43 AM
I went to RD yesterday and used the one day pass. No issues at all.

New Pal Frank
11-15-2013, 07:55 AM
You can print a certificate off the KCBS web site. I keep it in my purse but have never had to pull it out.

Thats what I did and they said it had expired.

Stoke&Smoke
11-15-2013, 11:53 AM
I still have the actual card that was given when KCBS and RD made this agreement. For a while, when I swiped it on the way in, it would ask for cashier verification, saying "please see the attendant". But the last two times I went, both last month, it just said "thank you"

I need to go in a few weeks to pick up some stuff for making sausages (just waiting for consistent cold weather)

DUBBAGA
11-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Just went to RD in Colton CA yesterday and was told that the KCBS membership has expired. The lady at the counter is readily familiar with KCBS and stated that she just found out the prior day that it was no longer valid.

She was very helpful, and tried to locate BBQ Brethren in their system to no luck, but I was able to get a day pass under CBBQA

Hawg Father of Seoul
11-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Did you tell her to look under the KC address. I had the same thing, but they were looking at some weird combo of city/state that some well intentioned employee made to get someone in, but is now confusing the heck out of the slow ones.

Porcine Perfection
12-04-2013, 11:37 PM
In Kansas City you just walk up and say KCBS. There are quite a few teams that go there.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
12-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Yet one more benefit to starting an LLC for my comp team. All the expenses are tax write offs and I don't have to bother with day passes to RD. :)

RumRunner_1492
12-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Yet one more benefit to starting an LLC for my comp team. All the expenses are tax write offs and I don't have to bother with day passes to RD. :)

How does that work?

Truck Stop BBQ
12-20-2013, 03:45 PM
This still seems to still be an on-going problem, At least in California. I went to the RD in Colton, CA yesterday, with the one day pass figuring this thread began in November and the problem must have been resolved by now. gave all the documents to the front and after they checked their computer, I was told that the KCBS acct had expired. The woman at the desk was professional and provided me with a one day pass but advised I should contact KCBS and find out what is going on. If no one has contacted KCBS about this situation, I will call and ask.

RUDEMIX

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
12-20-2013, 09:10 PM
How does that work?

Just fill out the paper work and apply for an LLC. It's different in each state but there should be a good walk thru on your states website.

BBQchef33
12-20-2013, 09:33 PM
I needed a business license from the Minnesota Secretary of State(the original so they could copy it) and a state tax ID no. I have to bring in a renewal of the license every year.
My business......Drywall contractor.

You only need the tax id number if your account is set up as a resellers account. That way they dont charge you sales tax. If its not a reseller account, you only need the business license.

shirknwrk
12-20-2013, 10:26 PM
If you're a KCBS member, you will find a coupon on their site... It's a good thing to have in case the local RD is unaware that the KCBS/RD arrangement is still intact. My local RD (Kansas City) saw my KCBS card issued a one day pass (repeatedly) without blinking... but, of course, they're located 3 blocks from the American Royal building.