PDA

View Full Version : For all those texas folks

rooftop bbq
11-11-2013, 06:25 PM
IBCA questions. We are headed to texas in january to compete in the W3 series. Now weve done a few ibca contests and done pretty well. But they were still California judges.
I think we are good on texture and apperance, but im nervous on how our flavors will fair in texas.

Chicken: we sauce with a sweet sauce with some heat and a hint of citrus
Change or no change?

Ribs: sweet with heat
change or no change?

Brisket: no sweet just straight au jus (is au jus going to be a problem). rub is mainly Simply Marvelous Peppered cow
change or no change?

ArnieTex
11-11-2013, 09:30 PM
it's all going to be terrible, just stay home there, lol.

Seriously though I dont think I would change much if I were you. A little more smoke on the brisket and a little more salt and garlic on that peppered cow. jmo though.

ArnieTex
11-11-2013, 09:31 PM
What spot are you in?

rooftop bbq
11-12-2013, 01:31 PM
What spot are you in?

no idea

ArnieTex
11-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Your name spot is already posted on the WW page and the Gruene HD page. Good luck

Smoke'n Ice
11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
c-08 -- be there friday am

Candy Sue
11-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Just remember to set your sauce and carry a paper towel to turn in to sop up juices. Good luck to you!

rooftop bbq
11-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks Candy. Im in the January contest I dont think they've released spots yet for that one

DiamondW
11-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Run the flavors you know. The easiest way to prevent puddling is to set your sauces well and like candy said, carry a paper towel with you to turn ins. Judges will inspect your box on turn in to make sure it meets requirements, if not you have a chance to fix it. There is more than enough time to run your own boxes that way you are in control if you need to make an adjustment.

bruno994
11-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Seems like everyone has you covered so far...cook 'em tender, no pooling of sauce or juices in the box, chicken with some pop will probably do well, I agree with the ribs sweet and heat, brisket a bit more salty than you would normally do. Best of luck to you!