PDA

View Full Version : Saturday/Sunday contests

Podge
11-11-2013, 10:36 AM
I wish KCBS's website had an easy way to search which competitions are held on Sat./Sun. but they do not. Can you all suggest some good competitions that will probably happen in 2014? I would kind of like to plan on going to some. :thumb:

Ron_L
11-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Westmont, IL is traditionally Saturday/Sunday over Memorial Day weekend.

bbq.tom
11-11-2013, 10:50 AM
February 22-23, 2014 (Saturday-Sunday) - San Juan, Puerto Rico. Ancillaries on Saturday, with KCBS categories on Sunday (1 hour between turn-ins).

I can't wait! 75+ degrees in FEBRUARY!!!

Ron_L
11-11-2013, 10:51 AM
February 22-23 (Saturday-Sunday) - San Juan, Puerto Rico. Ancillaries on Saturday, with KCBS categories on Sunday (1 hour between turn-ins).

I think this would be a fun one to cook, but maybe a little expensive :-D

Fat Freddy
11-11-2013, 10:51 AM
My wife just started a new job and wont get off until 6pm on Fridays but is off on Saturdays and Sundays as well as the summer. So during the school year we too are looking at trying to find more Sat-Sun contests so that way we can start our season earlier and keep going later. Right now what I am doing is just as soon as I see a contest listed for next year on the KCBS website I check how far it is away and then on a calender I check to see if Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun.

Ron_L
11-11-2013, 10:59 AM
My wife just started a new job and wont get off until 6pm on Fridays but is off on Saturdays and Sundays as well as the summer. So during the school year we too are looking at trying to find more Sat-Sun contests so that way we can start our season earlier and keep going later. Right now what I am doing is just as soon as I see a contest listed for next year on the KCBS website I check how far it is away and then on a calender I check to see if Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun.

The competition that was held in Davenport last June was Saturday/Sunday. They had some issues with power and water availability, but it was the first time at that site, so they should be able to resolve those. I haven't looked to see if it is listed for 2014 or not.

Fat Freddy
11-11-2013, 11:49 AM
It is listed Ron L and it is a Saturday Sunday again. It is after school lets out for Summer so we will see, already on our list, but i appreciate some of the other info you gave as well. That may help determine alot. It is 291 miles away from me so still barely in my travel distance.

Rich Parker
11-11-2013, 12:17 PM
I wish there were more Sat / Sun events myself. The wife doesn't like it when I use all of my vacation time to hang out with my bbq buddies. :-D

cynfulsmokersbbq
11-11-2013, 12:51 PM
The competition that was held in Davenport last June was Saturday/Sunday. They had some issues with power and water availability,

You can say that again, I had to run a 100 foot drop to get electricity that I paid for!
They also cashed my check, but lost my entry! I thought parking was a pain in the butt. I don't know why they didn't just throw us out into the green space along the river.

Scottie
11-11-2013, 01:13 PM
I wish KCBS's website had an easy way to search which competitions are held on Sat./Sun. but they do not. Can you all suggest some good competitions that will probably happen in 2014? I would kind of like to plan on going to some. :thumb:

I know a Sat/Sun contest that is planning on making it a double header... a Fri/Sat, then a sat/sun and Monday is a holiday....

Big George's BBQ
11-11-2013, 01:20 PM
I dont know about anyone else but when I am able to compete I need Sunday to recuperate

INmitch
11-11-2013, 01:42 PM
February 22-23, 2014 (Saturday-Sunday) - San Juan, Puerto Rico. Ancillaries on Saturday, with KCBS categories on Sunday (1 hour between turn-ins).

I can't wait! 75+ degrees in FEBRUARY!!!

YOU GOTTA BE CHITTEN ME!!! I'm getting on a cruise the 23rd in San Juan.:mad2::mad2: I just booked the flights yesterday. Grrrr!
If nothing else I could have flown in early and finally used that cbj badge layin in the drawer.
I'm so kickin myself in the a$$ for this one.:evil::evil:

Ron_L
11-11-2013, 01:45 PM
YOU GOTTA BE CHITTEN ME!!! I'm getting on a cruise the 23rd in San Juan.:mad2::mad2: I just booked the flights yesterday. Grrrr!
If nothing else I could have flown in early and finally used that cbj badge layin in the drawer.

You may be able to change the fights if it's within 24 hours.

Hijack alert!

What ship are you going on? We're on the Celebrity Summit our of San Juan in a few weeks going to St. Croix, Dominica, St. Kitts, Grenada and St. Thomas.

INmitch
11-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Dang I'm pi$$ed. Anyway Chad. Liberty & Connersville are both Sat-Sun comps.

INmitch
11-11-2013, 01:57 PM
You may be able to change the fights if it's within 24 hours.

Hijack alert!

What ship are you going on? We're on the Celebrity Summit our of San Juan in a few weeks going to St. Croix, Dominica, St. Kitts, Grenada and St. Thomas.
I saw that on FB. I was gonna tell ya I was jealous. Cause I gotta wait.

Were on RC Adventure of the Seas. St Croix, St Martin, Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados.

I may make a call to US Air in a little bit. If I can get the flight changed to Saturday the 22nd I'm gonna at least judge!

Rich Parker
11-11-2013, 05:25 PM
I know a Sat/Sun contest that is planning on making it a double header... a Fri/Sat, then a sat/sun and Monday is a holiday....

Are you serious? :shock:

motoeric
11-11-2013, 10:53 PM
The Battle of the BBQ Brethren, the hallmark event for the Brethren is a two day event usually held in August.

Eric

Smokin Hoggz
11-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Come up here to NEBS land!!! most of the contests up here are Sat/Sun.

Lippy
11-12-2013, 06:02 AM
OH cry me a river! The last "cruise" i went on I went to Madison, Westport, New Albany, and ended in Louisville. All on the beautiful OHIO RIVER!:becky::thumb:

esselle
11-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th May 2014. Q on the Canal 2. In Snarestone England U.K. We would be glad to host a few U.S. teams. If we get over 15 teams it is a bung for the Jack and Royal too. :-D

goodsmokebbq
11-12-2013, 08:03 AM
http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=&month=&id=4593

Come visit Roc City!

nmayeux
11-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Whole Hog Happenin' in Marietta, Ga. Last weekend in September. We can't get the city to close the square on a weekday, so are forced into a Sat/Sun contest. Come out and see us!

Scottie
11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Are you serious? :shock:

Time to pull up the big boy pants... :-P

djqualls
11-12-2013, 11:18 AM

Smokin At The Run Shootout in Miami, OK is submitting to be sanctioned this week as a twin contest on March 14-15 in a shootout style and then another single constest on Sat/Sun March 15-16

Rich Parker
11-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Time to pull up the big boy pants... :-P

Oh you know I am game! :thumb:

Scottie
11-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Although, it is not 'official'... yet...

TooSaucedToPork
11-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Most contests up here in Buffalo are Sat/Sun.

We have 7 with in and 80 mile radius...

I think 5 are two days.

Kave Dweller
11-12-2013, 03:48 PM

Is this going to happen scottie? Was in the early planning stages of a hangover at libertyville when I thought we had this discussion. Could be fun.

Scottie
11-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Nothing official. I am pushing it through though. They lime the idea

Kave Dweller
11-13-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm stupid enough to think it sounds like fun.

Sat winner, Sunday winner, Overall?

Scottie
11-13-2013, 09:05 AM
There will be incentive to cook both.... come on, I'm the cook on a BBQ committee. If it was up to them, we would be fighting it out over $2k!!! :-P

swamprb
11-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Come up here to NEBS land!!! most of the contests up here are Sat/Sun.

Same goes for most (if any) KCBS events in PNWBA land!

Kave Dweller
11-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Sat/Sun would be perfect, lot less vaction time burned.