PDA

View Full Version : world food championship

Pappy Q
11-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Okay I'm confused.....the KCBS site shows Warren County Pork Choppers as the GC of the contest but the WFC site shows Pitmaker was the winner. Whats the deal?

Stark-O-Rama
11-10-2013, 08:35 AM
They took the top 10 Teams for a final judging to pick the WFC Champ.

Pitmaker was 9th overall, but won when it was just the top 10.

Podge
11-10-2013, 10:05 AM
I was surprised myself that the contest itself was split up like that. I had just assumed it was a normal contest, cook one contest, and the winner is the winner. That's the way it should be, but then I'm a little biased maybe because I wanted Warren co. to win the whole thing..

When having to cook the next day, and you get to pick your meat, I personally think that is screwed up. Way too many judging variables. Pitmaker won, and I'm sure they cooked something awesome to do so, be nice to know what that was.

But it's their contest, and I reckon I should respect it is what it is. I don't have to cook it if I don't like it.

djqualls
11-10-2013, 11:14 AM
I was surprised myself that the contest itself was split up like that. I had just assumed it was a normal contest, cook one contest, and the winner is the winner. That's the way it should be, but then I'm a little biased maybe because I wanted Warren co. to win the whole thing..

When having to cook the next day, and you get to pick your meat, I personally think that is screwed up. Way too many judging variables. Pitmaker won, and I'm sure they cooked something awesome to do so, be nice to know what that was.

But it's their contest, and I reckon I should respect it is what it is. I don't have to cook it if I don't like it.

The exact reason I didn't enter.

smokeisgood
11-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Well I want to offer a big congratulations to the guys at Pitmaker on their win...couldn't have happened to a nicer buch of guys. I was truly impressed when I visited their facility and picked up my pit. A true class operation......

smokeisgood
11-10-2013, 12:24 PM
I see WC Porkchoppers in the pic, is that Leanne Whippin as well?

Pappy Q
11-10-2013, 12:52 PM
So as I understand it, Anything Butt category wins a BBQ contest? Sure seems odd. I'm sure Pitmaker did something great so congrats to them.

smokeisgood
11-10-2013, 01:15 PM
from their site...

Competition Structure

In 2013, the World Food Championships is unveiling a “tournament-style” cook-off process for all of its category competitions. The competition structure will be split into multiple rounds, including an opening “Challenger” round, a Category Finals round, after which each category champion will advance to the Final Table.

sharks_guy
11-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Not sure if you all saw, but a competition BBQ team has made it to the final table in the dessert category. https://www.facebook.com/PorkyMcBeef . Exciting to see BBQ so well represented.

Chappy
11-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Congrats to Whiskey Bent on a 6th place finish! Chad had some colorful pants on it that pic.

cmohr74
11-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Another competition team was represented in another category as well. Winning the Burger title was a local Chicago team Second City Smoke. Top 10 at Sams Finals and a Burger title, well rounded I'd say.

RLTXBBQ
11-10-2013, 07:01 PM
They took the top 10 Teams for a final judging to pick the WFC Champ.

Pitmaker was 9th overall, but won when it was just the top 10.

Hugh? Sorry I dont get that explanation, please elaborate.

jks1911
11-10-2013, 07:18 PM
The guys at pit makers are great. They will help you from can to can't. Plus they build a great BBQ rig. They earned the win.

sharks_guy
11-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Hugh? Sorry I dont get that explanation, please elaborate.

Top 10 teams make it to a final competition. I believe WPC won the first round, but Pitmaker won in the finals. Pitmaker is representing BBQ in the Final Table.

Scottie
11-10-2013, 08:37 PM
The exact reason I didn't enter.

Same here. I remember it was messed up last year with Butcher.

smokeisgood
11-10-2013, 08:53 PM
If you know the rules going in, I don't think it's messed up. It's only messed up if they change the rules mid stream. Taking the top 10 teams into a final heat and determining the champ from there is not different that a lot of tournament formats. I would also think that with only 10 teams to judge, it does away with the dreaded table of death that is often talked about.

Nordy
11-10-2013, 09:24 PM
First round was 40% of final score and 2nd round (top ten) was 60% of the score...

Warren County PC was 1st after round 1 and Pitmaker was first after both days...

CBQ
11-10-2013, 09:36 PM
OK, here's the deal. (We were actually in this thing, 17th though..ick)

The first round is a KCBS competitor's event contest that had 61 teams enter. It's ribs, pork, and brisket only - no chicken. KCBS scoring is used, and KCBS reps run the contest.

The top ten win nothing but bragging rights and advancement to round two. The results you see on the KCBS site are from this round only.

Round two is Anything But - 10 portions on 2 platters the event provides. The WFC "EAT" scoring system is used for the second round. Also, all teams are filmed...so you will see them sometime in Feb/Mar.

Round one and round two scores are combined, with 40% of round 1 and 60% of round 2 scores combined to determine the winner. If you finished low on day one (like Pitmaker did) you have to really hit it out of the park on day 2 to win it, so kudos to them. Ironically, for Anything But, they turned in chicken :becky:

The first place finisher of the combined round 1/ round 2 score (Pitmaker) goes on today to battle the winners of the other non-bbq categories.

I would like to give a special shout out to fellow NEBS team Insane Swine for finshing 4th overall in the combined scoring and RGC for round 1. :clap2:

RLTXBBQ
11-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the explanation guys, now I get it.

2Fat
11-10-2013, 10:21 PM
had a chance to be involved with this years WFC--it really was quite an experience--think the tournament aspect of it adds a little more to the event and was told that the Pitmaker crew knocked their chicken out of the park---we are on the road home wondering what happened today??

Crash
11-11-2013, 12:57 AM
OK, here's the deal. (We were actually in this thing, 17th though..ick)

The first round is a KCBS competitor's event contest that had 61 teams enter. It's ribs, pork, and brisket only - no chicken. KCBS scoring is used, and KCBS reps run the contest.

The top ten win nothing but bragging rights and advancement to round two. The results you see on the KCBS site are from this round only.

Round two is Anything But - 10 portions on 2 platters the event provides. The WFC "EAT" scoring system is used for the second round. Also, all teams are filmed...so you will see them sometime in Feb/Mar.

Round one and round two scores are combined, with 40% of round 1 and 60% of round 2 scores combined to determine the winner. If you finished low on day one (like Pitmaker did) you have to really hit it out of the park on day 2 to win it, so kudos to them. Ironically, for Anything But, they turned in chicken :becky:

The first place finisher of the combined round 1/ round 2 score (Pitmaker) goes on today to battle the winners of the other non-bbq categories.

I would like to give a special shout out to fellow NEBS team Insane Swine for finshing 4th overall in the combined scoring and RGC for round 1. :clap2:

Thank you for the explanation. Clears up a lot.

Crash
11-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Oh yeah, and not that is truly BBQ but apparently the 1st place dessert winner opted out on cooking on Sunday due to religious beliefs. That bumped up 6th place into the final.....they won it all.

Congrats to Porky Mcbeef and the Cluckers!!

Phubar
11-11-2013, 02:33 AM
Congrats to my buddies George and Hugo from the Pitmakers!
Met them at The Jack couple of weeks ago...very cool guys!

Pappy Q
11-11-2013, 05:24 AM
The "anything butt" round was weighted heavier than the BBQ round at a BBQ contest.....well that makes perfect sense. I'm glad I declined my invitation.

rooftop bbq
11-11-2013, 10:00 AM
I was in the finals and I can say that those anything butt plates were awesome, Those judges ate good in the second round. I thought tippy had it with his.

smokeisgood
11-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Pitmaker took Reserve Grand in the final cookoff between all catagories.....

Pitmaker, LLC (https://www.facebook.com/Pitmaker.BBQ.Pits?ref=stream&hc_location=stream)

Pitmaker wins Reserve Grand Champion at the 2013 World Food Championships against the six other categories, and wins the Crowd Pleaser presentation category (best looking dish that you want to eat) with this Vegas inspired dish called "Rackin' N Rollin' Ribs"!! Yay BBQ! Stay tuned here for the great story on this amazing event, and tune in to the A & E station in early 2014, for the six episode TV show!

smokeisgood
11-11-2013, 10:13 AM
I am still confused by the "Anything Butt" catagory. Anything but what?

rooftop bbq
11-11-2013, 10:17 AM
It was anything butt the 3 meats we turned in the day before (ribs, pork, Brisket) but it had to be a single protein no sandwiches ect

Nordy
11-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Anything but = any single protein other than what you turned in the day before (ribs, pork, brisket).

We had a great time at this contest... finished 36 of 66... If given the opportunity would I do it again?... Probably. I can think of several ways the contest could be improved, and I'm sure it will be. This contest will only get bigger, especially with TV and more sponsors being involved.

To all the "glad I didn't compete in this one" guys out there... This isn't a standard contest, it isn't meant to be and won't ever be. It's a different twist, different rules, and honestly a nice change/challenge. It's a made for TV type event. Evidently it's not for everyone, but I would encourage teams to cook in this if given the opportunity.

Nordy

Podge
11-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Anything but = any single protein other than what you turned in the day before (ribs, pork, brisket).

We had a great time at this contest... finished 36 of 66... If given the opportunity would I do it again?... Probably. I can think of several ways the contest could be improved, and I'm sure it will be. This contest will only get bigger, especially with TV and more sponsors being involved.

To all the "glad I didn't compete in this one" guys out there... This isn't a standard contest, it isn't meant to be and won't ever be. It's a different twist, different rules, and honestly a nice change/challenge. It's a made for TV type event. Evidently it's not for everyone, but I would encourage teams to cook in this if given the opportunity.

Nordy

I love my standard KCBS BBQ contests!! :clap2: this just ain't my kind of contest.

Slamdunkpro
11-11-2013, 01:09 PM
What won overall?

Scottie
11-11-2013, 01:18 PM
So do they do anything but for hamburgers and desserts as well? To me, the rules seemed lopsided and not in a good way for BBQr's.

Nordy
11-11-2013, 01:29 PM
The other categories had second rounds with different challenges... for example, Round 2 for Bacon required their dish to include duck.

I don't think a "cooks choice" 2nd round is a bad thing for BBQ.

In the overall finals (called the Final Table... contest between each category winner)- BBQ could cook their choice of any of the 4 meats they previously had cooked... I'm assuming that rule was same for the other categories... they could cook any dish they had previously cooked.

Remember there are three rounds....
Category
Category Finals (Top 10)
Final table (winners of each category)

So for BBQ
Category - Ribs, pork, brisket
Category Finals - Any protein except ribs, pork shoulder, or brisket
Final Table - Any of the 4 previously cooked meats.

For Bacon
Category - Teams "Signature dish", and a casserole featuring bacon
Category Finals - Dish including duck and bacon
Final Table - One of the previously cooked dishes

Each category is a little different due to the nature of the category. But its a fair contest... just different.... Heck BBQ finished second at the Final Table... that's pretty darn good...

Nordy

Podge
11-11-2013, 01:32 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the total prize money for BBQ was $50k, everyone else $25k ?

Nordy
11-11-2013, 01:42 PM
I think that is correct Podge... and the Final Table winner is $50k also

However, I did find out that other categories received $1000 travel money and no entry fee (BBQ was a $300 entry fee). So... I guess that was our trade-off for higher pay-outs

Podge
11-11-2013, 02:16 PM
I think that is correct Podge... and the Final Table winner is $50k also

However, I did find out that other categories received $1000 travel money and no entry fee (BBQ was a $300 entry fee). So... I guess that was our trade-off for higher pay-outs

I don't think that's a fair trade off. BBQ'ers had to cook 3 totally different meats, all take several hours. The equipment to bring down large smokers costs more to travel with than someone cooking bacon, etc. The higher payouts could easily be justified for cooking 3 times the categories, in my opinion. Hell, bacon is just one part of the pig, BBQ'ers had to cook 2 parts of the pig, and a part of a cow!..:doh:

Slamdunkpro
11-11-2013, 02:17 PM
However, I did find out that other categories received $1000 travel money and no entry fee (BBQ was a $300 entry fee).
Somebody has to pay the KCBS fees:wacko:

columbia1
11-11-2013, 03:44 PM
What won overall?
From what was on the website, Carrot cake!!

Podge
11-11-2013, 03:46 PM
If it were Carrot Cheesecake, a BBQ'er would have won it!

columbia1
11-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Can anyone confirm this?

Kave Dweller
11-11-2013, 04:14 PM
It was carrot cake and it was a bbq'r that won it, Porky McBeef and the Chickettes.

Kave Dweller
11-11-2013, 04:15 PM
I love my standard KCBS BBQ contests!! :clap2: this just ain't my kind of contest.

Chicken free contest is my type of contest

Pappy Q
11-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, at one of the qualifying contest for the bacon category they told us that the winner got $1000 for travel expenses.

Second City Smoke
11-11-2013, 06:12 PM
So basically this is what happened.....
Three BBQ teams made it to the final table the desert category came in first, the anything but (burger) category came in second, and the brisket category came in third! All in all the overall message is that competition BBQ teams ruled! Congrats to pitmakers and porky mcbeefy and the cluckers, it was an awesome experience!

Hawg Father of Seoul
11-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Can anyone confirm this?

It was only at events where a sponsor paid for it. This was not for everyone. Even the guys that "won back" paid for travel.

musicmanryann
11-11-2013, 07:51 PM
So basically this is what happened.....
Three BBQ teams made it to the final table the desert category came in first, the anything but (burger) category came in second, and the brisket category came in third! All in all the overall message is that competition BBQ teams ruled! Congrats to pitmakers and porky mcbeefy and the cluckers, it was an awesome experience!

Congrats on your amazing burger!!! :eusa_clap

Nordy
11-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Can anyone confirm this?

I can confirm this... I posted it... I cooked the contest... I talked to other competitors...

I'm not sure the extent... but I know for sure bacon got travel $$$.

gettinbasted
11-11-2013, 08:25 PM
I can confirm this... I posted it... I cooked the contest... I talked to other competitors...

Only if they had a sponsor. Burntfinger cooked Bacon, and I finished 4th in burger to second City. There was an entry fee as well. Potato salad is the only one that got a free ride for all competitors and that came from resers.

Butcher BBQ
11-11-2013, 08:39 PM
My take on the contest was last year the organizer had some things to work out, this year they had made some leaps in the right direction. One thing to remember is this is a contest trying to find the best food cook. Not all BBQ's can cook anything but the 4 categories done every week. So if you want to challenge you're cooking ability and just try something outside the BBQ box give it a try.

Podge
11-12-2013, 08:09 AM
My take on the contest was last year the organizer had some things to work out, this year they had made some leaps in the right direction. One thing to remember is this is a contest trying to find the best food cook. Not all BBQ's can cook anything but the 4 categories done every week. So if you want to challenge you're cooking ability and just try something outside the BBQ box give it a try.

Heck, I have a hard enough time trying to cook 4 perfect things!! much less want to venture out to cook another type of competition!:becky:

BurntFinger_Jason
11-12-2013, 10:17 AM

Not true. I cooked the bacon category and paid our own way. There were some Wright Bacon qualifying events that earned a paid entry into the WFC, but that was not the majority of people there.

All in all, it was a good time. We got eliminated in the first round, but thoroughly enjoyed watching our friends compete in the finals. Huge congrats to Dave Elliot with Porky McBeef and the Cluckers for bringing home the title. He and his mom worked their butts off to earn that title. Awesome success story!!!

Nordy
11-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Not true. I cooked the bacon category and paid our own way. There were some Wright Bacon qualifying events that earned a paid entry into the WFC, but that was not the majority of people there.

I stand corrected :icon_blush: SOME got travel money :wink:

smokeisgood
11-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Heck, I have a hard enough time trying to cook 4 perfect things!! much less want to venture out to cook another type of competition!:becky:
That's why it's called "The World Food Championship" and not the World BBQ Championship". I think it would be a blast to cook in, but don't think I'll ever get the chance.....my game is not that good and do not do it enough to really improve.

Uomograsso
11-13-2013, 12:51 AM
I TC'ed the BBQ preliminary rounds, Thursday and Friday. A lot of KCBS judges did multiple categories, i.e. bacon in the morning, BBQ in the afternoon, or BBQ Thursday, Chili Friday. The final tables for each category on Saturday were judged by "celebrity" judges. Ray Lampe and Dave Anderson were two of the BBQ judges. I don't recall who the others might have been. From a judges stand point there was a little confusion on Thursday, but Friday ran smooth. The rib entries were some of the best I have had all year and I judged the Sam's Club National Championships. Other judges at my table had judge at Jack Daniels and said the ribs were better than they had there. The contest was stretched up and down Fremont street which was kind of neat. I would judge it again sometime. The total prize pool was $300K, give it a couple of years and the number might push up to half a million or more.

Kit R
11-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Can anyone confirm this? At awards at Shelby, it was announced the bacon ancillary comp winner would recieve $1000 travel money to go to Las Vegas for WFC. Seeing as how it was the very next weekend, I wonder if the winner actually went? I can't even remember who won the bacon comp.....

Iamarealbigdog
11-13-2013, 12:41 PM

We are one of those BBQ teams that cross compete, we expected to cook Steak in the Recipe division only at the last minute the category were involuntary switched to PASTA. What does a BBQ'er know about pasta. We sucked it up, did our best and came in fourth overall, pretty good as far as I am concerned....

This event is only 1/7th BBQ competition and should be respected for that. Problems last year were worked on and the event so much better.

Yes there are still a few issues but remember that this is the size of the American Royal. There are going to be logistic issues and this is only their 2nd year....

Great event, great people

Can’t wait for next year

CBQ
11-13-2013, 09:04 PM
The "anything butt" round was weighted heavier than the BBQ round at a BBQ contest.....well that makes perfect sense. I'm glad I declined my invitation.

Well, in round 2 you only compete against the top 10 from round one...so it makes sense that the new round of stuff you are cooking counts more than the stuff you cooking the day before.

Round two IS barbecue. It was open garnish, so teams could plate items and decorate with side dishes, etc. (if it fit on the platters provided), but they could only use 1 protein, and the judges were instructed to score based on that protein alone and not any other edibles on the platter.

The judges were also instructed that the entry must be a barbecue entry, i.e. smoked meat. Deep fried chicken, pasta, etc. were to be scored down.

The final table (round 3) had to be one item you had cooked in the previous rounds, (The Pitmaker went with ribs)

CBQ
11-13-2013, 09:25 PM
I had heard all sorts of stories about the first year being a mess. For me, it was fun and I would consider doing it again if I qualified.

Only things I didn't like:

Competitors in the parking lot (vs. on street) were subject to construction activities during the contest. The lot owners apparently decided that installing an overhead lighting system across the whole lot was a perfectly acceptable activity to do during the contest. Timing could not have been worse, we had to dodge lift trucks and listen to incessant safely sounds (beep beep BEEP BEEP BEEP!) Thursday and Friday.

Since the streets were used, perimeter security was not great, and some teams were harassed. The Smoke on the Water production in Atlantic City (which has it's own wandering citizens) felt much more secure since it was in a fenced in lot and had 24 hour guards.

Spydermike72
11-14-2013, 04:13 AM
I stand corrected :icon_blush: SOME got travel money :wink:

I can add a little to this. When the Qualifiers were announced earlier in the year, I contacted Trybe and KCBS to try and figure out why Michigan,Ohio,and Wisconsin did not have a qualifier (GLBBQA region). I was told if I could get an organizer to put up $1000.00 travel money plus $300.00 for the entry fee that they would make one of the contests a qualifier. I pitched this to several organizers and none of them accepted this proposal.

My beef with the WFC (and I was fortunate enough to cook it last year) is that not all States had a qualifier.

TheSmokeRing
11-14-2013, 01:03 PM
It was an honor to be there and cook with the Pitmaker team. I've been cooking on my Pitmaker Vault for 4 years and I learned some things. I posted a complete report and pictures here.

http://www.thesmokering.com/index.php/component/content/article/16-2013-contests/100-2013-world-food-championships

Phubar
11-15-2013, 04:58 AM
It was an honor to be there and cook with the Pitmaker team. I've been cooking on my Pitmaker Vault for 4 years and I learned some things. I posted a complete report and pictures here.

http://www.thesmokering.com/index.php/component/content/article/16-2013-contests/100-2013-world-food-championships

Nice to have met you on the Jack.
Didn't know you were on the Brethren forum.
Maybe I'll see you guys next year in Amsterdam (Tony Stone Low 'n Slow competition)...Victor and Hugo were talking about it.