PDA

View Full Version : Headin to KC -> St Louis -> Chicago next week!

stan
04-25-2006, 11:08 AM
I am leaving this Sunday morning and flying to KC for work. I will get to see my sister and twin nieces born last Oct on Sunday (they were premies and had a lot of health issues, one just finally came home from the hospital). I hope to hit OK Joe's if I can either Sunday or Monday. Staying in Olathe area. Monday visit the local office and spend time doing some research. Monday night fly to STL.

In STL until Wed. afternoon. Not sure if any good BBQ anymore in the area. Please give recommendations otherwise at least one night will be down on the hill Conetos (sp) maybe. I will be staying close to Westport. I will have to get an Imo's pizza while in town. Research by day see a couple of friends in the evening. May have to meet the in laws not sure yet. Wed afternoon fly to Chicago.

Chicago meeting with a group staying downtown. Bill any recommendations on places to eat while downtown? I leave Chicago Friday afternoon to go home.

Any and all recommendations from everyone on places to eat are welcome. I will be busy traveling around but will have to eat in all the locations.

First time being gone this long since my 4 month old little girl was born. Leaving Mom home with the 2 1/2 yo and 4 mo! Will need to find a nice gift while I am on the road for her.

Doorbusters
04-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Stan, my office is 1/2 mile from OK joes in Olathe. Pm me Monday maybe we can have lunch!

stan
04-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Doorbusters, I will be in KCMO during the day I just found out. Most likely I will try to hit it either on Sunday or Monday early dinner.

Ron_L
04-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Hey Stan... In St. Louis, there is a Bandana BBQ (http://www.bandanasbbq.com) just north of Westport. Not great, but not bad, either. Here's a map (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&searchtype=address&cat=&address=12222%20Dorsett%20Rd&city=Maryland%20Heights&state=MO&zipcode=63043%2d2408&search=%20%20Search%20%20&searchtab=addresss&cat=&address=12222%20Dorsett%20Rd&city=Maryland%20Heights&state=MO&zipcode=63043%2d2408&search=%20%20Search%20%20&searchtab=address).

As far as Chicago, where will you be staying, and what kind of food are you looking for? Lots of great places. Some classic Chicago places are...

Pizzeria Uno - the original Chicago Style Pizza
Gene & georgetti (http://www.geneandgeorgetti.com/home.html) - One of the best (and oldest) steakhouses
Billy Goat Tavern (http://www.billygoattavern.com) - Made famous on Saturday Night Live

Lots of others.

I am going to be gone next week, but feel free to PM me and I'll give you my cell number in case you need info.

Bill-Chicago
04-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Stan
What exactly you looking for?

Lunch, Dinner, Business, Casual, Chicago original, etc.

Gene and Georgetti is a great spot, but the lobster tempura at Sullivans can be tempting too. Chicago hot dog can be found at Portillo's, and there is a great italian beef place downtown here (think its Al's on Orleans). I also like Keefer's for steak (there are about 10 quality places downtown here. Smith & Wolensky's uses a dry aging process)

Plenty of commercial establishments to stay away from (IMO)

Weber Grill is a great place to seperate you from your money.

Topopoblano (sp) is Rick Bayless's mexican restaurant. Great place for a margarita.

parrothead
04-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Bandana's will feed you good in St. Loius. The one that Ron is mentioning is on Dorset right off of 270. It's a hop, skip and a jump from Westport.

Gotta love Imo's pizza with the provel cheese on it. Good stuff.

If you are looking for some serious quality dining while in St. Loius, go to Deerdorf and Hart's for some prime aged beef.

Oh yeah, if you go to Bandana's you have to have the deep fried corn on the cob.

stan
04-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks Bill, Ron and Greg.

I will check out Bandana's in STL. I lived in STL for 3 years and never ate at Dierdorf and Harts. My favorite place is Fast Eddie's in Alton, Il. Another good bar is KenRods on Hwy 67 in North County. I have not been back in a couple years.

In Chicago I am staying downtown at the Fairfield Inn and Suites 216 E Ontario. I heard Weber Grill was OK nothing great. I will be with a group so we will probably look for a steak Thursday night somewhere. Any of the steak places relatively close to where I am going to be?

Thanks again!

Bill-Chicago
04-26-2006, 11:38 AM
All of the good steak places are within walking distance.

Take your pick:
Gene and Georgetti's
Smyth & Wolensky's
Mortons
Cuelio had a great time in Chicago at Schmick & McCormicks (I think it was there)
Keefer's
Sullivans
(I'd personally stay away from Ruth's Chris)
Magnums

And stay away from the Brazilian steakhouse's. There are two right downtown there. Fogo d'Chivao/ Sal&Chiavo or whatever they are. Most are a tourist trap rip off.

Portillos is right there, so make sure a lunch includes a Chicago Hot Dog (or on the way to the airport!)

Too bad its business Stan. You'll be within walking distance of my building.

Woulda been nice to meat you

Jeff_in_KC
04-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Stan, too bad you won't be down south from KCMO Monday at lunch. I'm not far from there myself and OK Joe's sounds pretty danged good about now!

stan
04-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Jeff,

Since I have relatives in that area I will get a hold of you and Doorbusters when I am in KC for more than a day.

Bill,

Thanks for the info. I will try to do eat at Portillos.

qman
04-26-2006, 09:53 PM
All of the good steak places are within walking distance.

Take your pick:
Gene and Georgetti's
Smyth & Wolensky's
Mortons
Cuelio had a great time in Chicago at Schmick & McCormicks (I think it was there)
Keefer's
Sullivans
(I'd personally stay away from Ruth's Chris)
Magnums

And stay away from the Brazilian steakhouse's. There are two right downtown there. Fogo d'Chivao/ Sal&Chiavo or whatever they are. Most are a tourist trap rip off.

Portillos is right there, so make sure a lunch includes a Chicago Hot Dog (or on the way to the airport!)

Too bad its business Stan. You'll be within walking distance of my building.

Woulda been nice to meat you

Question, Bill, If I may. Why would you stay away from Ruth's?

Bill-Chicago
04-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Hope I'm not gonna step on chops Qman, but I tried to resist naming any "chains". There are a couple in there, but only the ones I have had positive experiences.

Ruth's is a chain originated on the west coast. When you have so many high line establishments here in Chicago (remember, we had the Stockyards here in the early years) its hard to pass up Gene and Georgetti's for a Lone Star De jour.

It wasnt a personal slam, it was just the Chicago has plenty of dry and wet aged beef, that is something the chains overlook

Sorry if there was an offense.

Ron_L
04-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Topopoblano (sp) is Rick Bayless's mexican restaurant. Great place for a margarita.

Topolobampo... Also Frontera Grill... Both are Bayless' and are great!

Also, an evening at the House of Blues is fun. Food's OK, but if they have live music that's fun!

The food at Weber Grill is very good, just way over-priced.

Also, if you like music, there is a nice place to have a drink and listen to live music just down the street from your hotel... Red Head Piano Bar (http://www.redheadpianobar.com/)

Ron of Japan is a nice japanese steak house at 230E Ontario. Also, there is a decent sushi place on Ontario just east of Michigan (next to the Orvis store). I can't remember the name, however.

Pizzeria Uno is at 29 E. Ohio, BTW.

Bill-Chicago
04-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Ron, thanks for the correction.

I MEANT Fontera Grill. Toppoblano is a A List type white cloth $50 a plate neuvo mexican place.

kcpellethead
04-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Unless Jeff's hours have changed recently, Oklahoma Joe's in Olathe is closed on Sundays. You might double check that before you make plans. If you want something a little different, try the Z-man. It's their most popular sandwich.

Rod

stan
05-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Well guys I got lucky today and got to eat a late lunch around 2pm at OK Joes. I tried the Zman! Very good. My coworker from KC had never eaten there and she loved it. Thanks for the advise on the sandwich!

With the storms in STL tonight my 50 minute flight from KC took 2 hours while we were in a holding pattern for the weather to clear. Oh well, I will update everyone later.

stan
05-07-2006, 04:37 PM
A long week.

I did not get to eat at any of Bill's recommended spots. Ate at some Italian place right down from the hotel off of Ontario (not sure of the name). It was not that great and service was poor for the price. Thursday night we ate at the Grand Lux (sp) and it was very good. Found out that it was owned by the Cheesecake Factory. Very good meal. I am hoping to get back to Chi town in the summer.

Thanks everyone for input.

Bill-Chicago
05-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Sounds like Maggiano's and yes, it does suck.

Stan, you were stuck in River North aka Tourist Trap.

Hopefully next time you will get to venture to some of Chicago's finer establishments.

Glad you got home okay

Neil
05-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Stan, if you would like great authentic Italian food, you need to check out Club Lago at the corner of Orleans and Superior. Another can't miss is Greek Town: Greek Islands, Roditi's, The Athena are all good. BTW These are all in Chicago.

Bill-Chicago
05-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I've thrown up Saganaki after too much wine at Roditi's

Great stuff (both times)