PDA

View Full Version : Leaving my old team, starting my own....

Craigie Mack
10-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Hello Everyone!

I was referred by two of my buddies Mike Coffroad and Rob Watson, from the PA/DE area. I've been through here before, but never took the time to register and everything....

So I've been a member of the Flavor of Rub BBQ Crew for the past 3 years. We went from not knowing a thing to a handful of trophies....Highest place has been 2nd place chicken, 3rd Place Brisket in Wildwood NJ State Championship....Most recently our sauce won 1st place in the Smoke on the Water Atlantic City competition....

I have twin 7 yr old sons who love everything BBQ. They are "special needs" children, so the fact that BBQ gets them to be more social, focus on specific tasks, and work as a team is awesome. However, they can't usually be around during a contest with 6 men running around doing their jobs. They know what's hot, what's sharp and what they are supposed to do...However, we keep them away until 1:30 on Sundays just so they stay out of the teams way.

It kills them when they show up and see everything is done by the time they show up, so now we are going to do things on our own. We are starting up Craigie Mack's BBQ Shack (because we'd like to go from Comps, to vending/catering, to maybe even a bbq spot one day).

I've been working to picking up stuff from here and there (supplies, cookers, etc). I mean for the past 3 years, I've donated to the other cause, with nothing to show for it...Now I'm going to work hard to try to get my own return on investment.

So far as a family we did one charity chicken and rib competition and it went a lot better than I expected...overall 7th place. 6th in Ribs and 15th in Chicken. Due to how expensive these competitions are (reason why our team had 6 members), I might not be able to do as many competitions at first, but I'm going to take quality over quantity.

I plan on putting the finishing touches on a kickstarter business plan and hopefully that will help me get going with a small enclosed trailer, cookers, supplies, etc. The rest will be up to me. Probably try to sell some T Shirts and home can in mason jars our homemade sauce for family and friends to make some $$$ and offset these costs.

We have a facebook page, just search craigiemacksbbqshack on there and we should pop up...

You'll see the boys in their BBQ glory! Anyway, I'm sure I'll be asking questions, looking for advice and help and anything else I can think of....

Thanks for the welcome so far!

Ron_L
10-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Welocme to the asylum!

landarc
10-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Welocme to the Brethren, best of luck as well

okiej
10-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Welcome!

IamMadMan
10-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Welcome aboard Craigie mac, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

peeps
10-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Welcome! Sounds like no matter the finish, your journey is the definition of winning!

The Cosmic Pig
10-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Hi, Craig! I went to your Facebook page and you've got a great looking "team" there! Facebook is acting up and it wouldn't let me like your page, though. I'll try to remember to go back and like it later! Best of luck to you and your family on the BBQ trail! I'm sure you'll create many great memories for those boys! They're very fortunate to have you as a father that wants to make them a part of the team! You've certainly got your priorities in order! May God bless you all!

BBQ_MAFIA
10-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Welcome from Hudson County NJ

Diesel Dave
10-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Welcome to the madness and good on you for doing this with your boys.
That's the true meaning of a father/dad :thumb:

PigTamer
10-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Welcome from Minnesota

Backfirin' BBQ
10-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Welcome and good luck with your team!

Craigie Mack
10-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Thanks guys for the kind words...They were very touching (in a manly way, hahahhaa)....

It should be a fun journey!

cowgirl
10-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the forum!

BurninTree BBQ
10-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Craigie Mack is back!!!!!!!

Toast
10-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Welcome!

bluetang
10-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.