PDA

View Full Version : Thighs or drumsticks

NASTY
10-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Is anyone having luck putting legs in the box rather than thighs? I have always liked the legs myself but don't want to take a chance in a comp. Let me hear your guys experiences.

bbq.tom
10-15-2013, 09:43 PM
I judged a box of legs at the AR Open that were great and the whole table thought so.

Alexa RnQ
10-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Tony Presgraves of Big Daddy's Q'n Crew just won chicken at Dana Point, CA (around 100 teams this year) for the second time with drumsticks.

DoctorVapor
10-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Is anyone having luck putting legs in the box rather than thighs? I have always liked the legs myself but don't want to take a chance in a comp. Let me hear your guys experiences.

I've always used thighs. But judging from the two replies, maybe I should try legs.

My team has taken a first in Wings in the past, but that was a Wing competition. I'd like to try legs sometimes, should be fun.

Candy Sue
10-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Legs can do well. Can bomb too. Last weekend, a box of thighs and sliced chicken breast were offered. It was awesome chicken! And totally out of "norm." My opinion is that the box has to be neat and pretty, but taste on chicken is where it's won or lost. I believe that those cooking chicken hot and fast and quick should be careful with temperatures. IMO, texture of smoked (low and slow) chicken is very nice. Hot and fast chicken can be squishy. Especially if the judge takes a big bite.

I like legs, not lollipopped or dolled up. Just legs, seasoned with a dunk in sauce. Simple!

Rookie'48
10-16-2013, 08:35 AM
A good drumstick will beat a so-so thigh any day for me :grin:.

fat heads bbq
10-16-2013, 08:49 AM
we like legs.
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p480x480/1395435_218065955028309_1196241743_n.jpg

Kave Dweller
10-16-2013, 09:05 AM
I've scored poorly with both......

Shiz-Nit
10-16-2013, 11:58 AM
I like the way they look in the box and have cooked them, but always seem to go with the thighs

HarleyGirl14226
10-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Legs for us - they were pretty hit and miss this year.

We will be practicing thighs in the off-season so we have more options...

hogzillas
10-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Having judged, I've seen good & bad from both. If done well I think a leg box can be better than thighs just like making a combo box w/ breast can score better than w/o. It's outside the norm so can be more appealling to judges but then again there's some judges who'll score it down because it's not thighs :sad:

Jacked UP BBQ
10-16-2013, 03:48 PM
If you are thinking about trying it, go for it. Chicken is that category that is so inconsistent for many that we will give anything a shot. We have won with both. We have also got crushed with both.

NASTY
10-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Guys this is some great info. Thanks for the input.

peterz
10-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Me as a KCBS CBJ would love to see more legs. Kinda tired of the same old thighs.
Just my 2c.

Peter

5string
10-16-2013, 08:15 PM
I judged a box last weekend at the Eastern Carolina BBQ Throwdown that had 5 thighs and 3 legs. By the time it got to me the legs were gone. After scoring we discussed our scores, all 6 judges were within 1 point. Go for it.

dano
10-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Makes me want to rethink what we are turning in.:shock:

Cayman1
10-21-2013, 02:38 PM
For the judges, do most people remove the tendons in the legs or just leave them?

Smokin' Sparky
10-21-2013, 09:15 PM
I've began to just purchase the hind quarters, separate the drumstick and thigh, trim them up, cook them both and turn in whichever I'm more comfortable with. I've even turned in a combination of the two if I was comfortable with them both at the same time. I will say though that if the thigh has a lot of fat under the skin, so will the leg and it is a LOT harder to remove than the thigh skin without breaking it.

I will say though, when I'm judging I am probably a little harder on drumsticks just because they are kinda easy to cook properly where Thighs take more attention to timing to get them perfectly between chewy and overdone.

GrillBillie_D
10-21-2013, 10:08 PM
I will say though, when I'm judging I am probably a little harder on drumsticks just because they are kinda easy to cook properly where Thighs take more attention to timing to get them perfectly between chewy and overdone.

I thought it said judge what is presented based on appearance, taste and tenderness...I don't think it says you base your score on how difficult you think it is to cook. SMH :confused:

bigdogphin
10-21-2013, 10:16 PM
We did drums for two years straight. We found that it is too polarizing for the judges... Our scores were either at the top or near the bottom. Some people just don't like legs but thighs are the excepted norm. We are back to thighs and our scores have evened out.

peterz
10-21-2013, 10:37 PM
I've began to just purchase the hind quarters, separate the drumstick and thigh, trim them up, cook them both and turn in whichever I'm more comfortable with. I've even turned in a combination of the two if I was comfortable with them both at the same time. I will say though that if the thigh has a lot of fat under the skin, so will the leg and it is a LOT harder to remove than the thigh skin without breaking it.

You should NOT be judging at all !!!

BBQ_Mayor
10-22-2013, 12:30 PM
We've put 6 thighs and 6 legs in a box once..:shock:. It was stuffed. It was our best chicken score for the year until we won with thighs only.

early mornin' smokin'
10-22-2013, 01:58 PM
i've gotten calls with legs at one comp, exact same recipe and technique, crushed. Still hate chicken, at least for comp cooking.

bbq.tom
10-22-2013, 02:09 PM

EASY there peterz!!! Re-education may be beneficial to adjust a judge's thinking about how to judge "what is presented", but that doesn't mean that you should ban them from judging based on this statement of what he "probably" does.

ShencoSmoke
10-22-2013, 02:46 PM
We turned in both (leg quarters) the first half of the season with so so results. From the score sheets it was obvious that some judges loved it and some were not impressed. We decided that it wasn't worth the risk.

NASTY
10-22-2013, 04:26 PM
We turned in both (leg quarters) the first half of the season with so so results. From the score sheets it was obvious that some judges loved it and some were not impressed. We decided that it wasn't worth the risk.

That's about what I have gathered. I hate to put that much time and effort in just to bomb because someone doesn't like a drumstick.

ShencoSmoke
10-22-2013, 04:42 PM
That's about what I have gathered. I hate to put that much time and effort in just to bomb because someone doesn't like a drumstick.

In theory leg quarters would offer both. But if the judges decide to take a bite in the middle they get a big bite of knuckle. Too risky. And you may think our issue could have been flavor profile, but the comp after we stopped cooking quarters we won 1st place. Back to thighs for us.

NASTY
10-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Looks like I will keep rocking the thighs.

Smokin' Sparky
10-23-2013, 03:17 PM
If it's done properly then you have no worries. If it's yet another overcooked, fatty, over sauced mess then it will get the scores it deserves. As easy as they are to cook properly, its surprising how many entries still come in substandard. Now if you insist of culling the herd to ensure only judges that agree with your cooking style then feel free to try it, but I assure you if you turn in a box, regardless of what cut it is, it WILL be judged fairly by me and every other CBJ.

Smitty250
10-23-2013, 03:49 PM
I've turned in legs ONCE this year...

BB-Kuhn
10-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I got a first place with drumsticks this year. Non-KCBS, but an organized comp, not just a backyard gig.

I always say, i'd rather turn in a perfectly executed "non-traditional" drumstick than a just decently made thigh.