PDA

View Full Version : Which Lockhart mecca?

kyle corn
10-12-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm driving from Corpus Christie to Dallas tomorrow afternoon. I can stop and have lunch at one place in Lockhart, which should I shoot for, Kreuz, Smitty's or Black's? Or just go to whichever is least crowded. I've been in Texas for a year and a half and this is the first time I've been down in this area and want to see what all the hype is about. We're just passing through and have no time to sample all of them, need to pick one and move on. I'm also traveling with my boss who is a native New Yorker that moved here 4 years ago and has yet to be sold on brisket, I'm really hoping tomorrow he gets a good piece.

sliding_billy
10-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Since you specifically asked about the three of them, I would say Kreuz. If I had to stop somewhere in Lockhart, I would stop at Chisholm (the prices are better, and I think their Q is just as good as the others). Honestly though, I would skip Lockhart and (depending on exactly when you need to stop for food and if you can veer off a little) consider a few other places. Snow's is out because of the time you are leaving, but that would be worth the detour and the early Saturday trip. Otherwise, you have Louie Mueller in Taylor, the "big 3" in Austin (Franklin, John Mueller and La Barbecue - though they may all be out of the question because of the time you are leaving) and for a wildcard Miller's in Belton if you want to eat a little later.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
10-12-2013, 06:54 AM
I've had great brisket at Kreuz's and at Black's but not every time I go. Smitty's is the best overall experience though and I fully expect to hit them at the right time for great brisket anytime.

Just like most of the great BBQ joints anywhere, they have their off days or off times of a day. They even have off briskets on a good day.

dwfisk
10-12-2013, 06:56 AM
I really enjoyed Kreuz's.

kyle corn
10-12-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm aware they can all have bad days and good days. And we're taking this route and don't want to take any detours so were gonna stick with Lockhart; I will make it down to Austin sooner than I'm in Lockhart. Well probably just see what happens when we get there. Thanks for the input guys!

frognot
10-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Been 3-4 years since have visited Lockhart in but would rank them:
1. Kreuz's
2. Smitty's
3. Black's

Dallas Dan
10-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Another vote for Kreuz's.

IamMadMan
10-12-2013, 11:48 AM
I was there in June, Kreuz's is my #1, if your looking for atmosphere then Black's is second on my list...

yakdung
10-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Remember, Blacks is open on Sunday's.

kyle corn
10-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Went to Black's at the recommendation of one of the people we were meeting with in Corpus Christi. Brisket was on point. I made my boss but a slice and he even told the lady behind the counter he didn't like brisket. One bit in he just said "holy crap" and gobbled it up. Also got spare ribs (so-so), hatch chili sausage (great flavor but mealy texture was off putting), no sides and a Shiner- $27! Ah well brisket was worth it. My boss also got turkey which was great, which was delicious. He isn't the biggest bbq fan but when we left he just said "good call."

trufunk
10-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Since you specifically asked about the three of them, I would say Kreuz. If I had to stop somewhere in Lockhart, I would stop at Chisholm (the prices are better, and I think their Q is just as good as the others). Honestly though, I would skip Lockhart and (depending on exactly when you need to stop for food and if you can veer off a little) consider a few other places. Snow's is out because of the time you are leaving, but that would be worth the detour and the early Saturday trip. Otherwise, you have Louie Mueller in Taylor, the "big 3" in Austin (Franklin, John Mueller and La Barbecue - though they may all be out of the question because of the time you are leaving) and for a wildcard Miller's in Belton if you want to eat a little later.
Oh my world you said Chisholm, I like them better than Kreuz..I had the shoulder clod did not like it at all. Ribs are better at City market. I have not been to Blacks or Smittys but Chisholm is very good!

smokainmuskoka
10-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Blacks for brisket - Kreuz for sausage - Smitty's for history.

I don't think you can really go wrong at any of these places - that order is just my preference.