PDA

View Full Version : kcbs and backyard at same time your thoughts

Rocky_Northern
09-29-2013, 06:17 PM
a local venue is holding a kcbs event this year and they called me wanting to know if i was going to cook this year i told them sure in the kcbs ,they went on to inform me i could cook both events if i wanted to
what to think

Pappy Q
09-29-2013, 07:00 PM
I'd say no. Where is the contest as I was just at the Owensboro contest.

Rocky_Northern
09-29-2013, 07:05 PM
earlington its there first kcbs

TooSaucedToPork
09-29-2013, 08:56 PM
a local venue is holding a kcbs event this year and they called me wanting to know if i was going to cook this year i told them sure in the kcbs ,they went on to inform me i could cook both events if i wanted to
what to think

Same day or different days?

Like here in West NY there is KCBS on Sat and a non sanctioned cookoff on Sunday. If in this format, I see no problem.

Same day...it is clearly two seperate contests. A KCBS and a backyard contest. In that case let the backyard guys have some awards.

Gowan
09-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Asking a team to compete in both Pro and Backyard divisions at the same contest? That's just plain wacky. Why bother to have different divisions at all then?

I just don't get it.

Rocky_Northern
09-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Yes same day already 2 teams doing it I don't understand my self I think if I was back yard and I new they was letting pro teams cook in both I wouldn't go waste my time

Muzzlebrake
09-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Like here in West NY there is KCBS on Sat and a non sanctioned cookoff on Sunday. If in this format, I see no problem.

What contest is that?

TooSaucedToPork
09-30-2013, 08:34 AM
What contest is that?

Oinktoberfest last weekend

Rocky_Northern
09-30-2013, 08:55 AM
City of Earlington OctoberFest its this coming weekend !

Vindii
09-30-2013, 11:11 AM
I've seen pro team cook amateur event when allowed. I think it defeats the purpose of having an amateur event if you let the pro team enter.

Teamfour
09-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Yes same day already 2 teams doing it I don't understand my self I think if I was back yard and I new they was letting pro teams cook in both I wouldn't go waste my time

Personally I think there is a misconception that backyard means less talented cooks. Usually the difference between pro and backyard is the entry fee and prizes. In some cases backyard cooks fewer meats.

We had a recent pro comp where we were short five teams to meet the 25 team minimum for a Jack draw qualifier. We convinced 6 backyard teams competing shortly after us to come over to the pro side. We didn't even make them pay the full fee. A couple of those teams got calls and won money.

Having said all of that, I would not want to impede on a backyard contest - let them have their fun.

Vindii
09-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Personally I think there is a misconception that backyard means less talented cooks.

I view it not as less talented but as not have competed in an official KCBS event (or other sanctioning body).

Maybe I view it wrong.

Rocky_Northern
09-30-2013, 03:40 PM
not at all as far as talented cooking , i understand that

NazBQ
09-30-2013, 04:22 PM
From what I'm hearing Earlington is a first year contest that only had 8 pro teams as of last Friday. They're probably just looking to get anyone to do the backyard so they don't have to cancel it. I'm assuming there are probably sponsors involved.

With that said I personally wouldn't do it. In fact there are some KCBS reps that frown upon a team cooking both pro & BY out of the same cook site. The organizers are obviously just trying to fill holes and pay bills though.

Pappy Q
09-30-2013, 05:09 PM
From what I'm hearing Earlington is a first year contest that only had 8 pro teams as of last Friday. They're probably just looking to get anyone to do the backyard so they don't have to cancel it. I'm assuming there are probably sponsors involved.

With that said I personally wouldn't do it. In fact there are some KCBS reps that frown upon a team cooking both pro & BY out of the same cook site. The organizers are obviously just trying to fill holes and pay bills though.

I figured that was where it was. Terrible scheduling on their part as the most popular KY contest is well established on that same weekend

Rocky_Northern
09-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Well maybe it will work out , they are having the meeting tonight for back yard at least that's what someone told me