PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Barn Burner Libertyville IL

Kave Dweller
09-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Who's in, I don't see a list on there site?

Ron_L
09-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que is in! Coffee as usual by around 6:45am on Saturday!

Scottie
09-26-2013, 11:01 AM
I'll be back to defend the title and also drink Ron's coffee.. :-P

Ron_L
09-26-2013, 11:03 AM
I'll be back to defend the title and also drink Ron's coffee.. :-P

If everything goes as planned I may have a little something special for you to try :-D

Scottie
09-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Is it because I named my k-cup for you? I bet Rich hasn't done that...

Rich Parker
09-26-2013, 12:03 PM
If everything goes as planned I may have a little something special for you to try :-D

:evil:

oifmarine2003
09-26-2013, 12:18 PM
I am going to try and come by and watch. I am supposed to be out of town that weekend but I am trying to change that.

Pig Daddy
09-26-2013, 01:10 PM
We'll be there!

Kave Dweller
09-26-2013, 01:27 PM
The new lady running it said she would have team packets out today with the list of attendies attached.

In my irish world of "Murphys law" I am going to only bring Carharts and forget my sunglasses that way the weather will be better then last year.

Ron I hope you are bringing a couple of bags with?

Scottie I think you mentioned it being an off year to defend, glad you will attend and allow the rest of us a chance at the title.

T-Bone44
09-26-2013, 01:28 PM
T-Baum BBQ will be there.

Kave Dweller
09-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Rich? You busy with that little Sam's Club thing that weekend? Afraid of us? J/K good luck down there.

Scottie
09-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I am more into rewriting history...

Ron_L
09-26-2013, 01:46 PM
T
Ron I hope you are bringing a couple of bags with?

I always have some with me. First come, first served :-D

I will take reservations, however. :thumb:

Kave Dweller
09-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I am more into rewriting history...

I still get impressed just to hear our name, so don't think i will threaten the re-write.

Coz
09-27-2013, 11:22 AM
I am coming down to visit some friends .

Stoke&Smoke
09-27-2013, 12:02 PM
We'll be back, finally! Fuel pump died 2 years ago, I almost did last year....will be good to do it again! (we were there last year Friday night and for awards but I was just out of the hospital) Looking forward to it!

Kave Dweller
09-27-2013, 03:29 PM
I am coming down to visit some friends .

I don't even know what to have on hand now that your "hops" free......

Yellow Card BBQ
09-28-2013, 11:39 AM
We are taking the plunge into our first competition. May you all have mercy on us, or something like that.

Stoke&Smoke
09-28-2013, 04:02 PM
We aren't setting the world on fire. But if there's something u forget or need , we will help if we can. Look 4 2 skinny cooks

rdstoll
09-29-2013, 07:47 AM
When/where is this? Would love to swing by and see how these comps are done...

cheapbeer
09-29-2013, 08:51 AM

This is being held at Lambs Farms. if you google them and find their website look at the events section and the information will be listed there. It is the weekend of october 18-19. friday night the teams will start to cook and turn-ins will start at noon Saturday.

Ron_L
09-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Chocolate milk! :-D

We are taking the plunge into our first competition. May you all have mercy on us, or something like that.

Fantastic! We're looking forward to meeting you!

Here is the info...

http://www.lambsfarm.org/marquee-events/barn-burner-bbq/

Friday evening/night is best for visiting since we aren't as busy, but Saturday morning is best for watching the "action". But, the teams get very busy on Saturday morning, especially between 11am and 1:30pm, so if you are there during that window please don't be offended if we don't have time to visit.

Coz
09-29-2013, 03:35 PM

I haven't drank as long as you have known me cept when my lil bro forces that shine on me :icon_blush::icon_blush: If youfind any one lookin foe coker or trailer they could get em after Lville.

Fishin4bass723
09-29-2013, 04:51 PM
If youfind any one lookin foe coker or trailer they could get em after Lville.

Coz you getting rid of your cooker or trailer?

Coz
09-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Coz you getting rid of your cooker or trailer?

Any or all . I have new cookers in the works and the wife wants a different trailer.

Kave Dweller
09-30-2013, 11:26 AM

You should have mercy on us, we have a long history of proving we don't know what we are doing, your's isn't proven yet!

JUST SMOKIN'
10-15-2013, 06:39 AM
The crew will be there again! Shoved in the Northwest Corner with a 10 amp extension cord and a 5 gallon bucket of water, but there at least!

TIMOTHY J SCHOPP
TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI

OSHKOSH,WI

Ron_L
10-15-2013, 06:44 AM
The crew will be there again! Shoved in the Northwest Corner with a 10 amp extension cord and a 5 gallon bucket of water, but there at least!

You got the upgrades! Woo hoo!

At least you're close to the porta-potties :rolleyes:

:becky:

SMOKEHUNTERS
10-15-2013, 10:32 AM
We will be back again. See you 6:45 Ron

Kave Dweller
10-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Weather is going to be cold enough I might be at Ron's for coffee...... Nah who am I kidding.

Kave Dweller
10-15-2013, 11:55 AM

TIMOTHY J SCHOPP
TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI

OSHKOSH,WI

Last year weren't you in the puddle that was the walk way to turn ins?

Coz
10-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Weather is going to be cold enough I might be at Ron's for coffee...... Nah who am I kidding.

Careful your drinks don't freeze. :shock:

Ron_L
10-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Careful your drinks don't freeze. :shock:

Just put enough alcohol in them and they won't freeze!

JUST SMOKIN'
10-16-2013, 06:25 AM
Yes last year we were in the puddle of MUD! This year in the far Northwest corner! That's the downfall of having the big trailer! And, Mr Coz, you need to spend some time with us, we have tamed the partying wayyyyyyy down! And it has helped in the results. We are not having Saturday morning church services yet, but that may come. But, I guess that's the problem with having a young crew!

Tim Schopp
TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI

HotDiggityHog BBQ
10-16-2013, 07:53 AM
We will be there! Captain Ron, We are looking forward to that coffee! Need me to bring some cream or sugar to donate to the cause? That coffee put a smile on my face at Westmont. Needed it after a long night!

Ron_L
10-16-2013, 08:00 AM
We will be there! Captain Ron, We are looking forward to that coffee! Need me to bring some cream or sugar to donate to the cause? That coffee put a smile on my face at Westmont. Needed it after a long night!

We have sugar, Splenda and 2% milk. If you need something special then bring that :-D

See you in a couple of days!

Kave Dweller
10-16-2013, 09:04 AM
I guess that's the problem with having a young crew!

Tim Schopp
TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI

You seem to hold your own, don't blame the whipper snappers.....

Gonna guess my drinks freezing not all that possible. . . . .

Coz
10-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Yes last year we were in the puddle of MUD! This year in the far Northwest corner! That's the downfall of having the big trailer! And, Mr Coz, you need to spend some time with us, we have tamed the partying wayyyyyyy down! And it has helped in the results. We are not having Saturday morning church services yet, but that may come. But, I guess that's the problem with having a young crew!

Tim Schopp
TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI

Ya Ya I have heard ya tell me that . :blah::blah::blah: LOL

HotDiggityHog BBQ
10-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Any pot luck dinner planed for this event?

Kave Dweller
10-16-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm going to be lucky to get there by dinner time. I'm further behind then normal this comp. . . Can't be good.

Ron_L
10-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Kathy sent me a team layout via e-mail and it seems that not everyone received it. I'm sure that it is subject to change, but here it is...

Scottie
10-16-2013, 04:33 PM
If any teams are signed up and can't make it, let me know. I know a team that will buy your entry.

Jack Daniels
10-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Designated Smokin' Area will be there. This contest will be our one year anniversary competing!

Thanks to Ron for pointing me to the layout here; I definitely didn't receive it. I did talk to Kathy this morning and she said layout may be a little flexible depending on when folks arrive. Let's hope that's true because where I'm all will be tough to put in a 32ft RV if others show up before me.

Kave Dweller
10-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Designated Smokin' Area will be there. This contest will be our one year anniversary competing!

Thanks to Ron for pointing me to the layout here; I definitely didn't receive it. I did talk to Kathy this morning and she said layout may be a little flexible depending on when folks arrive. Let's hope that's true because where I'm all will be tough to put in a 32ft RV if others show up before me.

Same for me with a 24' trailer and dually. I'm not a backup trailer pro.

Ron_L
10-17-2013, 11:14 AM
It could be worse :) You could be in the back row on the west side. Those spots back up to a fence so the inly way in there is through the team in front of you! Look at Smokehunter's spot. If Bearcat shows up first, Bearcat will have to move in order for Smokehunter's to get their trailer in there.

Ron_L
10-17-2013, 11:19 AM
For anyone planning on showing up tonight, Kathy just called, and despite earlier e-mail and calls telling me that power would be available tonight, it WILL NOT be available until tomorrow morning.

cmohr74
10-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Too much upgrading Corey, need to throw everything in the back of a van. You can pack it, drive it, sleep in it, and more. :wink:

Pig Daddy
10-17-2013, 01:43 PM
I should be rolling in tomorrow around noon. See you all there.

Kave Dweller
10-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Too much upgrading Corey, need to throw everything in the back of a van. You can pack it, drive it, sleep in it, and more. :wink:

But real beds, heat and air (since no comps are ever nice weather) will be NICE next year. Its just an empty cargo trailer this weekend, but next year we will be cozy.

you've seen me sweat, it ain't pretty dan.

Kave Dweller
10-17-2013, 03:28 PM
It could be worse :) You could be in the back row on the west side. Those spots back up to a fence so the inly way in there is through the team in front of you! Look at Smokehunter's spot. If Bearcat shows up first, Bearcat will have to move in order for Smokehunter's to get their trailer in there.

Agreed, if the bands good, come down by us, if not we will be coming to see you!

Shot Fairy
10-17-2013, 05:14 PM
It's not on the site . . .

Yellow Card BBQ
10-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Goal - 0 D.A.L.'s.

Well, Columbus took a chance. Will see you there tomorrow. I'll be the one in over my head :twitch:

Coz
10-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Goal - 0 D.A.L.'s.

Well, Columbus took a chance. Will see you there tomorrow. I'll be the one in over my head :twitch:
Everyone is in over their head for a while . Take deep breath :icon_smile_tongue:

oifmarine2003
10-17-2013, 08:50 PM
If anyone needs anything, I live 15 minutes away. Ron has my #.

Ron_L
10-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Goal - 0 D.A.L.'s.

That's a good goal! You'll do fine. Remember that we all started out at the same point. If you need anything or have questions, just ask! We'd rather that you are on top of your game when we kick your butts :becky:

Looking forward to meeting you!

Ron_L
10-17-2013, 08:57 PM
If anyone needs anything, I live 15 minutes away. Ron has my #.

I think I do :)

Are you going to be able to stop by?

Ron_L
10-17-2013, 08:57 PM
It's not on the site . . .

What's not on what site, Fairy Girl :)

Ron_L
10-17-2013, 09:04 PM
We dropped the trailer off earlier this evening. Bearcat move to a different spot, so there is some flexibility.

oifmarine2003
10-17-2013, 09:19 PM
I think I do :)

Are you going to be able to stop by?

I am planning on coming by after I get off work Saturday probably around 1 or so. I may come by Friday night. Not sure yet though.

Ron_L
10-17-2013, 09:33 PM
OK. Look for us. We have a Wolf Pack toy hauler

Smokin' Deal
10-17-2013, 09:33 PM
So, bad news is that I won't be competing. I agreed to judge the event but will look to see some of these legends before I step into closed sessions.

Good luck to all...I know it's going to be a great competition!

Ron_L
10-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Stop by and say hello when you are done judging!

Stoke&Smoke
10-17-2013, 10:35 PM
For anyone planning on showing up tonight, Kathy just called, and despite earlier e-mail and calls telling me that power would be available tonight, it WILL NOT be available until tomorrow morning.

When did arriving on Thursday become an option? Had I known we would have been there with our generator. Could have taken yesterday off and been out there at noon today.

Website said nothing about early arrivals. Said they'd be open at 8 am tomorrow.

Been waiting 2 years to get back....it'd be nice to have the same info as other teams?
Do we need to know a secret handshake or something?

Ron_L
10-17-2013, 10:36 PM
When did arriving on Thursday become an option? Had I known we would have been there with our generator. Could have taken yesterday off and been out there at noon today.

Website said nothing about early arrivals. Said they'd be open at 8 am tomorrow.

Been waiting 2 years to get back....it'd be nice to have the same info as other teams?
Do we need to know a secret handshake or something?

I asked. We did it two years ago.

Shot Fairy
10-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Having been through too many "exceptions" at comps, you should NOT need to ask if you can set up earlier than the posted times. EVERY paying entrant should be informed of that, perhaps with a time restriction.

As of now, it's just total BS . . . Please define who's so much more "special".

If everyone is not notified of the opportunity to arrive when it bests suits their schedule, it automatically creates an unfair advantage and a sense of entitlement.

Scottie
10-18-2013, 12:09 AM
I don't think its an unfair advantage or any sense of entitlement. All it takes is to ask. I do it at just about every contest. I'd rather get my rig in before the cluster starts in the morning. East peasy

Stoke&Smoke
10-18-2013, 06:21 AM
We dropped the trailer off earlier this evening. Bearcat move to a different spot, so there is some flexibility.

Good to know. Wish they'd posted that possibility on the barn burner site. It said check in was this am.

See u when we get through traffic.

Ron_L
10-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Having been through too many "exceptions" at comps, you should NOT need to ask if you can set up earlier than the posted times. EVERY paying entrant should be informed of that, perhaps with a time restriction.

As of now, it's just total BS . . . Please define who's so much more "special".

If everyone is not notified of the opportunity to arrive when it bests suits their schedule, it automatically creates an unfair advantage and a sense of entitlement.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I certainly don't feel entitled. When I saw the site layout that Kathy sent out a couple of weeks ago I figured that it would be tight getting parked with the trailer so I asked it it was possible to drop off on Thursday night. It's really that simple. No special treatment or entitlement involved.

Stoke&Smoke
10-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Just would have been nicer had it been posted. As I said, had we known we'd be set up as well.

Missed a couple years but didn't recall being able to do this in the past. But then again, early set up of the pop up wouldn't have been an option.
Its all good....maybe we'll see you on 294 this morning. :-).

Hawg Father of Seoul
10-18-2013, 08:04 AM
You guys crack me up. If you ever need something from me it is best to ask. The organizers can not guess every possible scenario. I bet they have actual day jobs.

Brew-B-Q
10-18-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm going to try to stop by tonight. I can bring anything but heat, so let me know if anyone needs anything.

Mugsterdad
10-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Gonna try to make it out and see how the pros do it. Good luck to you all!

Smokin' Deal
10-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Stop by and say hello when you are done judging!

Will do Ron! Looking forward to it! Hoping the forecast changes in the next 24 hours.

Scottie
10-18-2013, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=Stoke&Smoke;2662528]Just would have been nicer had it been posted. As I said, had we known we'd be set up as well.

Missed a couple years but didn't recall being able to do this in the past. But then again, early set up of the pop up wouldn't have been an option.
Its all good...year you on 294 this morning.OTE]

They didn't have it listed. When I actually emailed Kathy, she didn't have a clue what I was talking about (rookie organized) and had to check. I explained that is how I usually did it in the past and she said OK. The only year that I didn't drop off and/or stay for the night was last yesrand I pulled in at 7:30 am on friday so I could pull my RV in without getting blocked

Smokin' Deal
10-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Great to meet you and your wife today! Good luck tomorrow and stay warm!!

Stoke&Smoke
10-21-2013, 03:53 PM
I thing you're right Scottie, my bad for not asking. It was her first one, and with no band Friday, no food vendors, a DJ and the band they had Saturday, guess it was obvious.

Hopefully they do better next time, and I'll ask ahead if I can either do early drop off or just arrive Thursday.

We took our time getting out Saturday evening as we had a lot of folks in front of us. One team left behind 1 and 1/2 22" WSM's, a folding table, and a huge fire pit. :shock:

The cleanup guys asked me if it was mine....should have said yes, but instead told him no, but if nobody contacted them about picking up I'd be happy to do so! Gave them a card. It'd be an add from the perfectly good Weber OTS one of my neighbors left on the curb a couple of weeks ago!

Kind of a tough year for us, only 1 call in 6 comps. But after only 3 or 4 in 2011 because of trailer/truck issues, and 2 last year before C diagnosis, I can't complain. I think we've got our timing back now, and are used to the new trailer, and have it more organized. So with the help of a class in the off-season, maybe we can start hitting more often

Had a lot of fun with our next door neighbors Yellow Card BBQ, who were doing their first contest.

Yellow Card BBQ
10-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Had a lot of fun with our next door neighbors Yellow Card BBQ, who were doing their first contest.

We had fun as well...learned some lessons and got some experience Definitely have some ideas of what we need to change up for next season, but we knew we had to crawl before we, er...well, it will be awhile before we walk :).

The lowlight was coming home and having my wife tell me I'm smoking brisket for a party next Saturday...after we finished D.A.L. in brisket.

"Ugh, can't we do ribs??? We were respectable there...."

I'm still ticked...I know I can make a better brisket than that. :)

Til next year!

Kave Dweller
10-22-2013, 08:03 AM
We had fun, not the finish to the year we wanted, things we could have done differently. Bought too big a butts, time line was off.

OIFMarine it was nice to meet ya.

Overall good time.

Coz
10-22-2013, 10:00 AM
It was great seeing every one for the last time before winter sets in and I lock myself in the garage for a month or two. Hi Hi Ho its off to build I go ! Corey understands any ways !

Thermal Mass
10-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Congrats on the RGC Coz! :clap2:

It was pretty cool, and a pleasure chatting with you and you're brother.:thumb:

Coz
10-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks Josh

Kave Dweller
10-22-2013, 11:44 AM
I understand all to well Coz! For me it starts this weekend with that sketch I sent you. The goal is cooking on it in March for a CBJ class I am cooking for. . . Shouldn't be a problem.

Until May, looks like we are back to progress emails. . . Kinda upset the season is done.

Stoke&Smoke
10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
The lowlight was coming home and having my wife tell me I'm smoking brisket for a party next Saturday...after we finished D.A.L. in brisket.

I'm still ticked...I know I can make a better brisket than that. :)

Til next year!

I know it might have tightened up a bit from the cold, but I think your brisket tasted ok, but wasn't quite done. Chewy is not what you want.
You guys did fine.

I was really surprised how many new cooks chose to do their first comp in those conditions!

Coz, congrats on the RGC Hope to see you a few times next year