PDA

View Full Version : Judging Class

Fishin4bass723
09-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Does the cost of the class to become a CBJ vary or is there a set price?

If it is a set price what is it? Is it worth it as a compettitor to take the class to see what the judges are looking for?

CivilWarBBQ
09-25-2013, 03:59 AM
The price is always the same from what I have seen.

Becoming a CBJ is the best value going for educating a potential competition cook. IMO, if you fail to take the judging class and judge at least a half dozen events you are simply playing a game of pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey.

How can you know what your turn-ins should be like if you've never experienced what goes on at the other side of the turn-in table?

mobow
09-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Cost is always the same. Look on the KCBS web site for info. Taking the class by itself will be of some benefit but then actually judging a few contest is where the real education will take place. Keith

Pole D
09-25-2013, 08:38 AM
$65 for KCBS member - $100 for non-members.

Personally I did not get much out of the class as it was a lot of "it's up to what you think". If it tastes good then score high. Nothing that said this is what KCBS BBQ is and what it should taste like.

Not much of a structured system to the whole thing. For instance we were told some judges start at a 9 and take point off, others start at the low end and add points and yet other just have a number in their heads. It's all up to you how you want to do it.

I do believe I'll get a lot more out of actually judging comps and seeing what comes across the table.

Stoke&Smoke
09-25-2013, 09:19 AM
$65 for KCBS member - $100 for non-members.

Personally I did not get much out of the class as it was a lot of "it's up to what you think". If it tastes good then score high. Nothing that said this is what KCBS BBQ is and what it should taste like.

Not much of a structured system to the whole thing. For instance we were told some judges start at a 9 and take point off, others start at the low end and add points and yet other just have a number in their heads. It's all up to you how you want to do it.

I do believe I'll get a lot more out of actually judging comps and seeing what comes across the table.

I thought that was the whole point of restructuring the score cards to grade from excellent down to inedible. Not sure why any rep would be teaching to start at 9 and take points off, or start at the low end and score up. The cards are very specific. I don't have one in front of me now, but know they correlate numbers to things like inedible, poor, below average, average, above average, etc. There should be no reason to "start at 10" or "start at 2" or the older one, "start with what your 7 will be that day" How long ago did you take the class? If recent, this doesn't seem to be following current KCBS criterion

Scottie
09-25-2013, 10:48 AM
The cost to KCBS is the same. There are up charges that each event has varies, which add to the cost

arrowhead
09-25-2013, 04:14 PM
kcbs fee is $30 for the table captain class, $40 for the cbj class for kcbs members and $75 for the cbj class for non-members. media folks may attend the cbj free of charge.

like scottie stated, the cost above those amounts are up charges from the event. from

Rookie'48
09-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Okay, we need some explanation on the "starting point" here. :-D

In the beginning . . . the first CBJs were taught that every box started out as a 9 and the judges took points away for things like sloppy sauce, tough meat, too salty, etc. This was the standard for many years and there were many, many 180s.

Then the newer judges (from about 2007 :confused: on) were taught that you start at 6 (average) and go up or down from there. No definition of average was or would be given, that was up to each judge to figure out for himself.

Now the judges are taught that you decide what each meat scores on your own - not at 6, not at 9, just what YOU feel that entry deserves on a scale of 2 to 9.

So, in effect, we have three distinct schools of judging going on at the same table. And some of those judges have been judging for many years.

Scottie
09-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Any thought to mandatory continuing education for CBJ's? Whether that be on-line or co.e to a contest an hour early? Try and get everyone on the same page. There are definite scoring differences across the country.

Rookie'48
09-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Any thought to mandatory continuing education for CBJ's? Whether that be on-line or co.e to a contest an hour early? Try and get everyone on the same page. There are definite scoring differences across the country.

Yes, that is one of the things that is being looked at by the CBJ Committee.