PDA

View Full Version : IBCS Chicken

coondogbbq
09-24-2013, 06:54 PM
This will be my second comp. Wifie and I enjoyed the first one so... First was MBN and this one is IBCS. They want a whole half chicken. So I'm cookin chicken everyday right now.
Question; I kno chicken about 165-170 is done but to me its tough and rubbery. I've took it way past and made it mushy. About what are you looking for in turn in chicken? Thanks.

bruno994
09-25-2013, 07:55 AM
I usually take them to 175 in the thigh. I don't probe the breast, just the thigh, because I don't want the white meat to dry out. I buy my birds in the 4.5 to 5 # range and cook 4 halves at each comp to give me a selection to choose from. Depending on the number of teams, they might require 2 halves for turn in, another good reason to cook 2 birds.

Razcal
09-25-2013, 07:26 PM
they cut the chicken up the judges each only get a little piece of each chicken I cook my Chicken to 180 in the thigh.

coondogbbq
09-25-2013, 09:31 PM
I saw in the rules about if there's so many teams you turn in two halves. If that's the case, do they give a second box? Surely ya don't have to stuff it in one?

Hawg Father of Seoul
09-25-2013, 11:39 PM
I saw in the rules about if there's so many teams you turn in two halves. If that's the case, do they give a second box? Surely ya don't have to stuff it in one?

It is a bigger box. Don't worry everyone gets the same box and only 1 person gets to experience the chicken before it gets hacked up.

Concentrate on the taste of the chicken, that's the money.