PDA

View Full Version : Locked and Loaded-Osage City, KS (merged)

Jeff_in_KC
04-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Didn't remember how much work this was! :shock: But I'm packed, loaded and ready to pull out in the morning for Osage City. The wall climbing officially ends tomorrow! :biggrin: See all of you who'll be there at Osage tomorrow. And anyone competing in King's Mountain or Charleston this weekend, best of luck to you! And for anyone not doing the road show this weekend, here's to good Q and have a happy Easter weekend! Later!

Jeff_in_KC
04-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Oh and Andy... if you see this... your daughter is going to have some competition in the Kids Q. My five year old will be down shortly before the contest starts and will enter. Here's to our pair taking top prizes!

jgh1204
04-13-2006, 10:50 PM
I hope you dont get that, "Man, I know I am forgetting something" feeling.

I do all the time and I usually am forgetting something that I remember later when it is too late. :biggrin: :biggrin:

But, just remember, there is a Wal-Mart somewhere.

bruno
04-13-2006, 11:13 PM
But, just remember, there is a Wal-Mart somewhere.

Not in Osage City.

Hawgsnheifers
04-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Not in Osage City.

Yup. It's confirmed. Bruno is a half glass empty kinda person...

MrsMista
04-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Good luck to you and the kiddies Jeff.

chad
04-14-2006, 05:52 AM
Have a great weekend.

icemn62
04-14-2006, 06:38 AM
Have a good weekend, and enjoy the contest.

chad
04-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Jeff, you may need to get Jay to touch up the paint on your cooker after everyone "oohs and aahs" and just has to touch it!!

slat
04-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Good luck to all who are competing this weekend.

Jeff_in_KC
04-15-2006, 08:59 PM
We took 4th out of 65 teams in chicken and collected a good sized check! Nudged out the big boys, Parrothead Smokers for the position by about a half point! I was happy with pork and ribs but a couple of the judges did not share my enthusiasm. In ribs, we were 26th. Pork was 39th. Brisket was 34th. Overall, 21st. So far so good on my goal of finishing in the top third in each contest. Long way to go, though.

Thanks a BUNCH to Todd (Hawgsnheifers) for the help and company!

And Jay, I had a busy day on Friday showing the smoker to everyone who stopped by. I bet there were no less than 50 people ask about it. Don't think anyone has seen anything like it before! Honestly, it got to be quite a distraction! LOL! But you know I was proud of it and hopefully we can "get the word out" in the KC area!

I'm beat! I'm showering and going to bed.

chad
04-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Congratulations!

The_Kapn
04-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Congrats on the Chickie Walk.

TIM

Kevin
04-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Jeff, good job. 21st of 65 on only your 4th (I'm guessing) or so outing. You should be proud. Way to go.

Jeff_in_KC
04-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys! And I feel like a heel for forgetting to mention... my daughter got 5th place out of I think 9 in her division for Kids Q! I was proud of her and she was excited. But I gotta let Andy tell you HIS two newsworthy items. I'll post pictures but probably not til tomorrow night with it being Easter.

BrooklynQ
04-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Congrats to you and your daughter.

MrsMista
04-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Congrats to you and the little one.

bruno
04-15-2006, 10:45 PM
I didn't see this before I psoted the new thread. Congrats to you and your daughter.

MrSmoker
04-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Congrats Jeff and your daughter.There's no looking back now.

scottyd
04-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Good Job Jeff, And Get They Young Lady Of Yours Her Own Trophy Shelf, She Is Going To Fill It.

Hawgsnheifers
04-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Jeff,

Thanks a million for letting me get my first taste of competition with you and your family. Mrs Hawgsnheifers and I had a blast Friday night and I was quite suprised to find out how differently things are done in competition than I had imagined. After doing quite a bit of smoking on my smokers, I'm going to have to re-train myself if I ever expect to have a chance at competing competatively. I'm looking forward to more opportunities to help you in the future so when it's time for the PB and I to start my own comp team, we will have some experience under our belts.

Paola Greg
04-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Jeff, it was good to see you, your new cooker, and Wayne there. Congrats on your chicken call.

Photo, left to right: Eric (my teammate), Jeff, Wayne (Mokan Meatheads), me.

Ron_L
04-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Eric and Jeff look like they could be brothers...

Congrats, Jeff... That's a nice way to start out the season!

Jeff_in_KC
04-16-2006, 03:10 PM
I got to looking at my score sheet this afternoon and I still have to look again to believe it says Big Creek BBQ up there on chicken where all the heavy hitters normally are supposed to be! It may not happen again this year but dang it was fun! Thanks for all the comments!

Todd, like I said, you're welcome any time. We enjoyed having you!

stan
04-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Jeff great job!! Glad you and your daughter had a good time. Can't wait until my kids get old enough!

HoDeDo
04-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Ok,Ok.... I told Jeff to spill beans for me since I wouldnt see my laptop til this afternoon.... but since he didn't ---

We had a great weekend. First, Taylor (Jeff's daughter)and my daughter Kaylin had thier run of the place. Fast friends, so our daughters obviously have good taste :razz:

And they both are getting thier first BBQ checks!!!
Kaylin took 1st in the Kid's Q with a 166!!!! Two judges gave her straight 9's. She rocked! I'll have to get her a little Brethren shirt for the next call she gets :twisted:

Our weekend went well also. We got a call for 2nd in Pork!!! (Nice check to boot)
Scores: 13th Overall
19th Chicken
47th Ribs
2nd Pork
15th Brisket

Great weather, great friends, and mostly respectable scores out ofthe first cook on a new cooker.

Jeff will be posting the pic of us holding our trophies... BBQ Brethren were representing in KS!!!!!8-)

MrSmoker
04-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Congrats Andy and Kaylin,WTG

HoDeDo
04-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Oh and Andy... if you see this... your daughter is going to have some competition in the Kids Q. My five year old will be down shortly before the contest starts and will enter. Here's to our pair taking top prizes!

Our girls are taking thier first checks!!! Kaylin's already asking when they get to play again..... Looks like our girls are Que buds right out of the gate :wink:

Sawdustguy
04-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Jeff,

Sorry I didn't post sooner but Congratulations Man! Great job by father and daughter! I see you have your Spicewine now. I will PM you because I have a ton of questions. A great way to start the season buddy, for all your efforts, you certainly deserve it. Lets keep it going. I have 30 more days until d-day for our team.

ThomEmery
04-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Well Congrats Bro

Jeff_in_KC
04-16-2006, 07:58 PM
OK here's a few pictures before I have to ... ummm... go do my taxes and submit. :oops:

I haven't figured out how to caption each photo so...

The first one is my daughter (pink shirt/black shorts) and Andy's daughter (red hair) getting their awards and from there on, I guess no captions are necessary.

By the way... I always said I'd give credit where credit is due when I won my first award in BBQ... so here goes: THANK YOU to Wayne (Mokan)! Buddy, you taught me how to do chicken last year! If it weren't for you, I doubt I'd have done what I did yesterday. Thanks!

spicewine
04-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Congrats Jeff: I forgot to tell you that showing the smoker can be a Pain in the Arse at contest!! My Team Mates tell me that they don't get paid to be smoker salesmen----Unless I'm buying the Coffee!! Fill me in on the performance details of the smoker. ( P. M. Please)

Spice

Brauma
04-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Congrats Jeff. And to your daughter. What a cool paint job on the Spicepit. Sometimes it looks blue, sometimes it looks green. And I love the American flagpole mod. Way to go! Keep it up.

qman
04-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Jeff, fill us all in on the performance details. every time I read this thread, I go to Spicewine's website and try to figure out how I can get one of his medium smokers, bring it to Orlando and sneak it into my backyard without my wife knowing:redface:

Congrats to you and your daughter.

Doorbusters
04-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Good Job Jeff!!! I had a feeling you and your daughter might just surprise everyone!! Keep it up!!

homebbq
04-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Way to go Jeff, congrats on the chicken and your finish. From what I could see it was a very tough crowd..

Bellybro
04-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Way to go guys! You had fun, which is the most important thing and you got to walk always makes it better!

You've started the season off on the right foot!!!

HoDeDo
04-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Jeff-
You posted that pic, so now I can say with definitive proof, mine's bigger :twisted:

Heh, just kiddin, who'd believe that anyway 8-)

Here are a couple more pics from the weekend. I'm hoping my boxes are on Kim's camera. But Kaylin's was on mine -- she did the garnish herself. I told her uneven lettuce adds character :wink:

Jeff_in_KC
04-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Awesome pictures, Andy! Thanks for sharing! Do you want to break it to Kaylin that Taylor won't be at Warsaw on the 28th? She has a soccer game on Saturday at 1pm. I imagine they'll have fun at GAB.

MoKanMeathead
04-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Congrats to Andy (PK), Jeff (CK), and Greg (BR) for you calls...and a special congrats to Taylor and Kaylin for their kids Q - that was cool!!

Seems like all my buds got hardware except for the the meatheads - oh well had a great time, no trips to the emergency room, and nothing got broken!! Oh and the margartia machine was a chick magnet after the Rick Springfield concert!!!:twisted:

So...Jeff was complaining all weekend about "having" to show his new cooker...well I look over there on firday night and he actually has spot lights on it!!!!!:roll:

Tod (toad) and Bruno - nice to meet you guys!!

HoDeDo
04-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Congrats to Andy (PK), Jeff (CK), and Greg (BR) for you calls...and a special congrats to Taylor and Kaylin for their kids Q - that was cool!!

Hey Jeff - Didn't Wayne say he was glad he didn't have to worry about us guys on the new cookers. :twisted:

I'll file my claim now however for the retinal damage your spotlight inflicted on me. All the Bling on that cooker, did damage to my sensitive eyes. You dont have to keep it pretty even at 3am....:wink:

HoDeDo
04-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Awesome pictures, Andy! Thanks for sharing! Do you want to break it to Kaylin that Taylor won't be at Warsaw on the 28th? She has a soccer game on Saturday at 1pm. I imagine they'll have fun at GAB.

We're doing Okie Joe's, instead of the GAB - We have two weddings on the GAB weekend. I'm sure we will be out on Friday night though, so they can party a little bit then. Kaylin opted out of Spring soccer, but wants to play in the summer again - so we'll see how she does on weekends when we have a game and a kid's Q...

MrsMista
04-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Once again, congrats to all. I think it's great you guys have involved your daughters. I would say the same for sons but being a woman I'm all for girl power. Keep it up all.

I actually look forward to the day Neil gets his first Spicewine smoker. Could save a lot quicker if I could keep him out of the grocery stores.

Jeff_in_KC
04-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey Jeff - Didn't Wayne say he was glad he didn't have to worry about us guys on the new cookers. :twisted:

I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole! :lol: Wayne's kicked my arse at the two previous contests we've been in together AND he taught me how to do my chicken so it wouldn't be right for me to comment. One walk doesn't earn me any right to smack a guy who's been a RCG before! :wink:

HoDeDo
04-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Fair enough, I like to claim to be the catalyst that pushed them over the edge to compete - Especially when they walk!! :lol: So I'll put a smack on 'em every chance I get! Wayne has kicked my butt more than once also. That is what makes it fun. Once NLC splits off from Sprint, however, I won't have the interoffice bragging rights to shoot for. Just friendly pride at that point...

The year I placed 2nd in Ribs @ SITS- Mark G. (4 Men and a Pig) trimmed half my slabs for me to "show me how to do it right". He was tired of watching me butcher them (haha).... I owed him that walk for sure. It's great to be able to learn so much from those around ya. Wayne is a good one to learn from too... I've pocketed alot of ideas he's thrown my way.:eusa_clap

Doorbusters
04-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Jeff, Just what is this secret to winning chicken? From what I have learned is to let my kids cook it. My best is a 16th out of 86.

Jeff_in_KC
04-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Not sure, DB! I've never won! LOL! But it seems to me that too much effort is made to try to get skin crisp when getting it to tear easily when it is bitten through makes more sense. It isn't cooked up as much and probably has better color. I've seen rub just placed on the skin too, not up between the skin and meat. As simple as chicken supposedly is to cook, it sure seems to me that I end up going to a heck of a lot more steps to get it done and to the judges than I do any of the other three meats.

Hawgsnheifers
04-17-2006, 08:47 PM
The secret is the Margarita's. Right Jeff?

Jeff_in_KC
04-18-2006, 08:00 AM
The secret is the Margarita's. Right Jeff?

No comment. :shock: