PDA

View Full Version : Should Kale Be Allowed as a Garnish

Fishin4bass723
09-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Should the rule be changed for garnish to add Kale as a legal garnish?

bbq.tom
09-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Why not?!?!? It's green and fairly easy to use.

Lake Dogs
09-23-2013, 09:32 AM
I think $$$ should be allowed too. I mean, if we're allowing garnish, lets GARNISH!!!

TooSaucedToPork
09-23-2013, 09:38 AM
I would like garnish to be eliminated completely...that way the meat speaks for itself, and new teams and old are on a level playing field. Plus instead of building boxes for two hours on Friday Night, we can get back to drinking, as it was meant to be in BBQ.

But hey, thats just me...

cpw
09-23-2013, 09:44 AM
I would like garnish to be eliminated completely...that way the meat speaks for itself, and new teams and old are on a level playing field. Plus instead of building boxes for two hours on Friday Night, we can get back to drinking, as it was meant to be in BBQ.

I'm with you on that one!

New Pal Frank
09-23-2013, 10:00 AM
My wife thinks that we need to go to food safe plastic astro turf putting greens.(she is the parsley person in the family)

Alexa RnQ
09-23-2013, 10:03 AM
I'd have to vote "no" on this one. Those of us in the warmer regions of the country have a hard enough time with the availability of decent parsley. What you cool-region guys may not realize is that kale is not a year round crop, and is unlikely to ever approach parsley in availability--- I mean, would you ever buy that stuff to eat?

Nor can I support the elimination of garnish-- I want my entry securely wedged to survive handling after I let go of it, among reasons elucidated over countless discussions here.

Ron_L
09-23-2013, 10:16 AM
My wife thinks that we need to go to food safe plastic astro turf putting greens.(she is the parsley person in the family)

I've been saying this for years! :-D

Pole D
09-23-2013, 11:08 AM
I'd have to vote "no" on this one. Those of us in the warmer regions of the country have a hard enough time with the availability of decent parsley. What you cool-region guys may not realize is that kale is not a year round crop, and is unlikely to ever approach parsley in availability--- I mean, would you ever buy that stuff to eat?

Nor can I support the elimination of garnish-- I want my entry securely wedged to survive handling after I let go of it, among reasons elucidated over countless discussions here.

I hear what you're saying but why not include it as an acceptable garnish? He's not saying you would have to use kale only.

Fishin4bass723
09-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Yes
I buy it to eat and also grow it year round to eat. I cook it like collard greens or any other greens. Also sprinkle with EVOO and saute with crushed garlic, mix with swiss chard it is some good eats.

TooSaucedToPork
09-23-2013, 11:54 AM
would you ever buy that stuff to eat?

:tape:Not from the South huh? We won't hold that against ya!:tape:

deepsouth
09-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Yes
I buy it to eat and also grow it year round to eat. I cook it like collard greens or any other greens. Also sprinkle with EVOO and saute with crushed garlic, mix with swiss chard it is some good eats.

:goodposting:

Alexa RnQ
09-23-2013, 01:25 PM
I hear what you're saying but why not include it as an acceptable garnish? He's not saying you would have to use kale only.
No, not requiring kale exclusively, but. Kale is a no-brainer to throw in a box; its advantages are that it's sturdy, fluffy, and uniformly dark in color. Given these advantages, it's not a level playing field if good chunks of real estate can't source it reliably during the warmer months.

And yes, I eat it too -- juice it, primarily -- but given all the griping I hear about vegetables, it was hard to leave that without taking a poke. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

Diva
09-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Garnish is optional. You don't have to use it.

TooSaucedToPork
09-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Garnish is optional. You don't have to use it.

You are correct totally optional if you don't want first place.

You know as well as I, that if you don't use it, the teams that do will 9 times out of 10 score above you.

My opinion...so prove its a meat contest, drop garnish completely.

Guranimo
09-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Personally I don't like having to use the garnish. We just have a couple of folks on our team and prepping a box just seems like a waste of time that could be spent on the actual meat.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-23-2013, 02:49 PM
If they take away garnish, they have to take away pooling as a dq and not ding for it either. As much as I hate making boxes, they help a lot. kale is fine. I could careless what garnish they allow.

fnbish
09-23-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't see why it couldn't be allowed, but I also accept that kcbs had to make a decision to say what they want to use vs not use. They had to set the cutoff point somewhere or else you could garnish with anything and marking could be easier if I could garnish with chopped carrots :grin:.

Kale just fell out of that list I guess. If they allowed kale then how long till we would be doing this dance again with another non accepted garnish? Not saying conversations like this don't have their place and talking about improving the system is always a good thing. But for me on this subject I'm fine with leaving kale out. Though I do think it would make an awesome bed to put food on:-P.

BMerrill
09-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Bump

Lake Dogs
09-24-2013, 07:10 AM
You are correct totally optional if you don't want first place.

You know as well as I, that if you don't use it, the teams that do will 9 times out of 10 score above you.

My opinion...so prove its a meat contest, drop garnish completely.

I haven't competed in a KCBS contest in quite some time, mostly due to money constraints, but when we competed in other sanctioning bodies and not KCBS it was largely because of this. For that matter, a few times, when cooking for other pork-only contests, I'd cook a brisket for the team to eat (we like beef)...

I completely agree with your opinion above. It is about BBQ, it should be about nothing else, therefore the only thing in the box should be BBQ. If we want it "purdy", lets have the special made green boxes... :razz:

Jorge
09-24-2013, 08:46 AM
If they take away garnish, they have to take away pooling as a dq and not ding for it either. As much as I hate making boxes, they help a lot. kale is fine. I could careless what garnish they allow.

Why would the pooling rule have to be axed? I can think of more than one organization that uses foil in the box, and still has a pooling rule or something similar.

sslak
09-24-2013, 10:16 AM

This. I like cookin' BBQ but I'm no expert on "plating" and making it look all pretty.

It looks good when it comes off the cooker, and it'll look good sitting in the box...I really don't like that a team with better food can lose to a team with a prettier arrangement of parsley.

But I'm just a noob who cooks Q in his backyard. Gonna be at a few more comps next season tho, so we'll see how it goes!

Alexa RnQ
09-24-2013, 01:31 PM
I really don't like that a team with better food can lose to a team with a prettier arrangement of parsley.

Given the weightings for the taste and tenderness scores, I very much doubt that could happen.

Fishin4bass723
09-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Bump