PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks to Warsaw Who's In ??

spicewine
04-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Warsaw will be the first contest of the year for Spice's Team Q. Hope to see some of you MOFO's there.

HoDeDo
04-13-2006, 08:42 AM
This KanFo will be there. I'll get to see Jeff's new rig in action this weekend in Osage. It sure is purty!!!

Jeff_in_KC
04-13-2006, 08:47 AM
We'll be at Warsaw also... would love to bring some hardware to show off the success with the new smoker and make Jay proud but this week, I'm just hoping for a top half finish out of the 67 teams.

slat
04-13-2006, 10:05 PM
I'll be there on the judges side. I look forward to seeing you guys again and meeting those of you that I don't know.

Jeff_in_KC
04-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Looking forward to meetin' ya, Slat! Will you be in town on Friday night?

slat
04-14-2006, 08:57 AM
I should be but I don't know exactly when yet. Depends on when I can get off work. It's about a four and a half hour drive from where I'm at. I'm gonna try to leave town around three.

Jeff_in_KC
04-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Jay, you haven't seen a list of who's signed up for Warsaw, have you? I imagine the Master Basters will be there again. Are they a 25 team contest as far as you recall?

spicewine
04-20-2006, 08:00 AM
They must be because Josh and Tom's were too late to get in. Which is good because I am tired of them handing me my arse at contest. :mrgreen:

Jeff_in_KC
04-20-2006, 08:13 AM
I didn't know Kyle and Steph were wanting in at Warsaw. I assumed they'd be at Sugar Creek instead. Too bad they didn't get in. Their group is a bunch of fun folks to be around and there's always something to learn from 'em.

MoKanMeathead
04-20-2006, 08:17 AM
The Meatheads will be there. Hopefully we can improve 2 positions from last year.

Steph and Kyle wanted in Warsaw because they were too late to get in Sugar Creek - it filled up fast!

Jeff_in_KC
04-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Third place last year, huh? :wink:

spicewine
04-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Master Basters took it last year, we finished 5th overall. I want to improve on that this year and give them a run for their money!!

Jeff_in_KC
04-20-2006, 10:25 AM
I just went back and looked at results from Warsaw last year and there's several teams in those top ten lists that I don't recognize. Jay, are most of those teams that compete in the Central Missouri area rather than the KC area? If so, any heavy hitters in there besides the Master Basters and Smokin 101?

spicewine
04-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Not really, but ANY GIVEN DAY!! We were 6th place???? How soon we forget!!

spicewine
04-20-2006, 02:29 PM
I shore would like to see you and Sweet T come down for a visit that weekend!!:wink:

We will have plenty-o-coffee and Brother Wayne will have his machine I'm sure.

HoDeDo
04-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I can't wait for this weekend... looking forward to it gentlemen,.......(And Atwood). :twisted:

Jeff_in_KC
04-23-2006, 08:49 PM
I can't wait for this weekend... looking forward to it gentlemen,.......(And Atwood). :twisted:

This will be a first for me... start to finish on my own! If I screw up, there'll be no one to blame but myself! :lol: My daughter has a soccer game saturday afternoon at pork time (1:00) so my wife will have to skip this one.

qman
04-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Best of luck Jeff. Just remember to breathe.

HoDeDo
04-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Jeff-
Let me know if you need some help at turn in time. I'm bringing a friend to help out in place of my brother-in-law I usually cook with. Kim would probably be happy to run stuff in for you...

Hey Wayne.... Should I bring a second batch of Tequila to get Jeff hammered ..... I mean, to refresh the machine and draw in the concert goers? :twisted:

Jeff_in_KC
04-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Jeff-
Let me know if you need some help at turn in time. I'm bringing a friend to help out in place of my brother-in-law I usually cook with. Kim would probably be happy to run stuff in for you...

Hey Wayne.... Should I bring a second batch of Tequila to get Jeff hammered ..... I mean, to refresh the machine and draw in the concert goers? :twisted:

Thanks Andy. I'll see how far the trek is from my space to the turn-in area and let you know. Even though I tend to get frustrated, I'm usually pretty organized in most things I do so if I can keep that way Friday and Saturday, I should be OK. May need someone to remind me the low pit temp alarm on my NuTemp is NOT a snooze alarm though. :roll:

Paola Greg
04-24-2006, 03:35 PM
See you guys about noon Friday.

Jeff_in_KC
04-26-2006, 07:49 AM
:eek: :eek: Bring the rain gear, fellas! :eek: :eek:

Friday: mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 70. Southwest winds 5 to 15 mph.
Friday Night: mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 50s.
Saturday: mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 60s.

SinginBob
04-26-2006, 08:48 AM
After Emporia last year, the Meatheads are ready for anything--except microbursts!

Accuweather.com says a chance of rain Friday, high of 65.

Hey Spicewine, I guess that means I'll be "Singin' in the Rain!"

Solidkick
04-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Hey Jay......if you talk to the contest organizer and they are short some judges, give me a call on my cell, T and I will drive down and judge.
Let me know Friday night if possible.

spicewine
04-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Will do Brother!! Mike McMillen and Wife are the Reps, I will tell him also. Hope to see ya there!!

Spice

HoDeDo
04-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Looks like we are guaranteed rain now boys.... A slow rain, moving to a steady flow overnight. Jeff is going to be loving that double walled cooker this weekend. Too bad, he'll be too hung over to remember how good his meat was before Bob helped out ;o)

SinginBob
04-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Hmmmm...rain. I think there may be a song or two I can sing about rain!

Jeff_in_KC
04-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Hmmmm...rain. I think there may be a song or two I can sing about rain!

From the comfort of your new camper? If it's storming, I'm moving in with you guys! :lol:

spicewine
04-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Just got done waxing my smoker, will pack it this afternoon. RAIN??? Bring it on!! I'm still gonna get 4 hours of sleep.

Jeff_in_KC
04-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Just got done waxing my smoker, will pack it this afternoon. RAIN??? Bring it on!! I'm still gonna get 4 hours of sleep.

Jay, I waxed mine on Saturday. Also got some tire-shine on the tires and polished up the wheels. Now rain and dust! :eek: Oh well... Got a feeling I'll be loving that insulation come Saturday morning.

Solidkick
04-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Not to take anything away from this thread, but T and I were like minutes away from making a commitment to cook a non sanctioned event in Fulton this weekend.....Darrel is trout fishing and John had plans, so we were considering do it, just the 2 of us, with a pop-up and a cooker.....UNTIL I looked at the extended forecast....something about setting up in the rain at 4PM, then having a 100% chance of rain through Saturday afternoon late with wind gusts up to 20 mph got me to thinking maybe this may not be the right contest to try and do by ourselves, I depend on my brothers too much.....I guess I'm a fair weather competitior, without my brothers....LOL

Best of luck to all and keep your charcoal/wood dry........

Bellybro
04-28-2006, 03:17 PM
You need to change your icon then if you are a fair weather smoker!

Good luck to all going to Warsaw! Hope you packed your rubbers, boots that is!

Jeff_in_KC
04-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Wow guys! I just got home from Warsaw and was it ever a swamp! Rained almost non stop from about 10 am Friday until 7am this morning. It stopped and was calm until after the awards. It came back on strong and hasn't stopped yet! GREAT night for sleeping!

Anyway, just a quick report. We did not get a copy of all the overall scores, just our individual unweighted scores as the place it was at did not have a copy machine. But I can tell you this... the BRETHREN WERE REPRESENTIN'!! Check out these from what I believe was 34 or 36 teams...

Chicken - Big Creek BBQ - 3rd

Ribs - Paola Greg - 1st
Team Q - 2nd

Pork - Mokan Meatheads - 1st

Brisket - Team Q - 1st
Big Creek BBQ - 3rd

Overall - Mokan Meatheads - 5th
Big Creek BBQ - 6th

Team Q PROBABLY would have gotten at least Reserve but possibly Grand had they not had a chicken accident. Farking toothpick! Damn!

We agreed that Andy (HoDeDo) got hosed by a judge BIG time (lots of 8's and 9'd and one judge with a 2 and a 4 on the same entry! WTFark?

Greg also got 1st in the Miscellaneous category (Lemon Pie I think it was).

I'm not sure where Greg and Andy ended up overall. They'll mail the overall and category scores later in the week.

Counting the Misc. Category, there were seven walks taken by Brethren! AND three of four first places went home with your brothers (Congrats, Greg, Wayne and Jay!) We were all smiles and pumped after that. Didn't get a picture of us all together like we had planned as the rain was pushing back in and we were all anxious to get loaded and go.

Now I need a shower, some sweats and an easy chair til I pass out!

spicewine
04-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Just got home from Warsaw. The weather wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Took 1st. Place Brisket---2nd place ribs--- 12th place pork butt and ---DQed on Chicken!! We missed a tooth pick!!! Could have had Grand Champ if we were more carefull!!

Got to see Brother Jeff, Brother Wayne, Brother Andy, Singin Bob.

Brother Jeff walked twice!!

Brother Wayne--- 1st place pork butt!!

Congrats to all and good night.

Spice

Jeff_in_KC
04-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Oops! Just remembered... Mokan Meatheads 5th in chicken too.

And Jay, it was an honor and pleasure to compete at a contest with Team Q there! A rare priviledge! Had a blast!

UPDATE: Found all top tens:

34 teams
Overall Rankings
1. Smokin 101
2. Pigs In The Pokie
3. Yellow Jacket Bbq
4. Sedalia Masterbasters
5. Mokan Meatheads
6. Big Creek Bbq
7. Crazy “8” Bbq
8. Fat Bastard & Liddy B
9. Maximum Loin
10. Pitside Bbq

Chicken
1. Fat Bastard & Liddy B
2. Bocce “N” Bbq Boys
3. Big Creek Bbq
4. Sparkle Plenty
5. Mokan Meatheads
6. Pigs In The Pokie
7. Smoke On Wheels
8. Smokin 101
9. Peta
10. Maximum Loin

Ribs
1. Ribs 4 U
2. Team Q
3. Tob’s Bbq
4. Moonlight Bbq
5. Fat Bastard And Liddy B
6. Crazy “8” Bbq
7. Sauze Baron.Com
8. Yellow Jacket Bbq
9. Pit Pyros
10. Peta

Pork
1. Mokan Meatheads
2. Pitside Bbq
3. Yellow Jacket Bbq
4. Sedalia Masterbasters
5. Smokin 101
6. Pigs In The Pokie
7. Casual Smokers
8. Pork Q For You
9. Fat Bastard And Liddy B
10. Crazy “8” Bbq

Brisket
1. Team Q
2. Pigs In The Pokie
3. Big Creek Bbq
4. Smokin 101
5. Yellow Jacket Bbq
6. Sedalia Masterbasters
7. Hit & Miss
8. High-Point-Drifters
9. Smokin Buddys
10. Sparkle Plenty

Solidkick
04-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Just got home from Warsaw. The weather wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Took 1st. Place Brisket---2nd place ribs--- 12th place pork butt and ---DQed on Chicken!! We missed a tooth pick!!! Could have had Grand Champ if we were more carefull!!

Got to see Brother Jeff, Brother Wayne, Brother Andy, Singin Bob.

Brother Jeff walked twice!!

Brother Wayne--- 1st place pork butt!!

Congrats to all and good night.

Spice

I guess there's no point in us showing up at the Shrine cook.....:cool: Winning your GC away from you last year put a bull'seye on us?
You know I'm messing with ya! Congrats! Bryan fixes a mean brisket and John's ribs are some of the best, if he can get them in the box! :mrgreen:

scottyd
04-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Great job fellow brothers

The_Kapn
04-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Congrats to all that walked!

Sounds like a challenging event with that weather. :lol:

TIM

JohnMcD348
04-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Congrats guys.

MrSmoker
04-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Congrats Brothers you did good,how many were cooking on Spicewine Smokers?

BrooklynQ
04-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Congrats Guys! Great day for the Brethren!

Paola Greg
04-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Jeff, congrats to you and everyone else that got called! Sure is nice to be home and dry...
We were 11th in brisket, and 14th OA. Dang pork that is usually real dependable kept us out of the top ten OA.

chad
04-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Sounds like most had a good weekend despite the weather. Congrats!

HoDeDo
04-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Nice wet weekend - Great calls for Wayne, Jeff, and Jay!!! My cooking just wasn't worthy this weekend :o) Had a great time, so thanks to everyone who was out there!

Hawgsnheifers
04-30-2006, 05:49 PM
NIce to hear of all the Bro's taking walks. Sorry Jeff I was unable to help out, but you can count me in for the comp at the Woodlands, if you still need someone to help out? With your score at Warsaw, maybe I should stay away?

Jeff_in_KC
04-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Andy, I thought your pork was great. Of course it was the only entry of your's that I tried. I don't know if I'd say your cooking wasn't worthy... when you get mostly 7's, 8's and 9's and one judge gives you a farking TWO and FOUR, something ain't right and it wouldn't seem to be your cooking.

Todd, you're welcome to cook with us at the GAB. The more you see at contests, the better off you're gonna be whenever you and Tom get started. Tammy and I are borrowing an older camper from a co-worker for the weekend but it's only got two beds best I recall. You might want to bring a tent with you. I think there'll be room for it.

MilitantSquatter
04-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Great job brothers.... nice results... keep it going ...

Bubba
04-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Just wanted to let Jay and his guys and Jeff and Wayne and everybody else for ALL the advice at our first comp. in Warsaw. We had a great time except for the weather. We were pleased with ending up in 21st place overall. See you guys soon
:icon_smil 11th in chicken(with one perfect score)
19th in pork
21st in ribs
:oops: 32nd in brisket

Bubba's Remember When BBQ

Jeff_in_KC
04-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Bubba, it was great to meet you and Jeff at Warsaw and we were all glad to help. I think you'll find that there will be people at any contest you go to that will be more than happy to give you advice and pointers. Glad you enjoyed your first contest and that's definitely a respectable showing for the first one, especially that chicken score! That bird looked good! I'll be curious how it scores if you ever decide to turn it in unsauced. And don't worry about the brisket score. Most people will tell you it's the most difficult thing to cook in KCBS contests.

Where are you guys going to be competing next? You hafta bring your dad along too! What a great guy! I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with him about his travels and bluegrass music over coffee Saturday morning!

Glad you found the site, Bubba! Head to the Cattle Call forum and introduce yourself to the Brothers!

spicewine
05-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Bubba: Glad you and Jeff found the site!! These are a great bunch of Men and Women who love good Q. As Jeff said go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself.

Spice

HoDeDo
05-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Bubba, it was great to meet you and Jeff at Warsaw and we were all glad to help.

Where are you guys going to be competing next? You hafta bring your dad along too! What a great guy! I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with him about his travels and bluegrass music over coffee Saturday morning!

Glad you found the site, Bubba!

Ditto Bubba, I enjoyed meeting you guys - and loved your Dad's stories, and musical adventures - I want to hear some of that pickin' when your buddy is playing guitar up this way! I think we said it dosent get much better than good coffee, good bluegrass, and good conversation on a wet Sat. morning. Glad you weren't taking any advice from me. Jeff is being nice with my pork earlier in the thread. I didn't take any walks.:wink: Might have done better turning in those cinnamon rolls as a misc. entry!!

Bellybro
05-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Congrats everyone!!!!!

SinginBob
05-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Great competition and even more special spending time serenading all the brothers in the rain!

Jeff, more alcohol would have done the trick--think Osage!

Andy, I think the camper issues had you distracted.

Jay, I'm always thankful for an apprecititve audience! Sorry about the chicken, truly.

It's too early to say for sure, but looks like us Meatheads may be back!

spicewine
05-01-2006, 05:20 PM
The Rep at Warsaw came by the shop today with our actual Chicken scores prior to the DQ. 2nd place!!!!!! Which would have given us the GC by 20 points!!!

Sometimes you eat the Bear!!

Sometimes the Bear eats you!!

Check for those pix boys!! One can really ruin your day!!

Spice

MrSmoker
05-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Man that sucks Jay,what a farken way to loose.I guest we learn by those mistakes.Next time.

spicewine
05-01-2006, 07:57 PM
There's always another contest!! It would have been nice to get that AR invitation out of the way first time out of the box though!! It kind of takes the pressure off of the year!! Hope to see some of you at the Shrine Club in Columbia 3 weeks from now when we try again.

Hawgsnheifers
05-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Andy, I thought your pork was great. Of course it was the only entry of your's that I tried. I don't know if I'd say your cooking wasn't worthy... when you get mostly 7's, 8's and 9's and one judge gives you a farking TWO and FOUR, something ain't right and it wouldn't seem to be your cooking.

Todd, you're welcome to cook with us at the GAB. The more you see at contests, the better off you're gonna be whenever you and Tom get started. Tammy and I are borrowing an older camper from a co-worker for the weekend but it's only got two beds best I recall. You might want to bring a tent with you. I think there'll be room for it.

Sounds great Jeff. I was thinking just the other day that I should have remembered my Hammock and stand. That dude sleeps great. Have had plenty of naps in that. Send me a private email with your details so I can make my plans.

Going to hit the Lumpkin comp this Saturday and look around.

Thanks.

Jeff_in_KC
05-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Look for Steve (Denver Cajun BBQ Krewe) and tell him I said hello. He's a good guy and has given me quite a bit of good advice in the last few months.

Sounds great Jeff. I was thinking just the other day that I should have remembered my Hammock and stand. That dude sleeps great. Have had plenty of naps in that. Send me a private email with your details so I can make my plans.

Going to hit the Lumpkin comp this Saturday and look around.

Thanks.

BBQchef33
05-01-2006, 08:40 PM
A big congrats guys!!!! Great to see so many of us taking the walk. Spice... no more toothpicks!!! gonna get you some surgical thread that dissolves on its own... :)

Jeff_in_KC
05-01-2006, 08:55 PM
A big congrats guys!!!! Great to see so many of us taking the walk. Spice... no more toothpicks!!! gonna get you some surgical thread that dissolves on its own... :)

Cool idea! :grin:

Someone at Warsaw (can't recall who) watched me put toothpicks in my chicken and told me about a guy who used GREEN toothpicks to shape the thighs and the finished product had green stripes though the middle of the meat from the toothpick bleed! That had to be a bit discouraging for a judge to bite into and see green meat! :lol:

Hawgsnheifers
05-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Cool idea! :grin:

Someone at Warsaw (can't recall who) watched me put toothpicks in my chicken and told me about a guy who used GREEN toothpicks to shape the thighs and the finished product had green stripes though the middle of the meat from the toothpick bleed! That had to be a bit discouraging for a judge to bite into and see green meat! :lol:

Not if there used to KFC...:icon_smil

chad
05-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Tim and I made that mistake last year...fortunately we had 6 pieces of chicken that hadn't been cocktail toothpick skewered...but, I think one piece got overlooked...the rep mentioned color one entry...they didn't DQ, knew exactly what had happened, etc. Stupid is not necessarily a DQ offense....

We've since abandoned the toothpicks in favor of trimming and gently wrapping the skin back around the thigh...we sweated the toothpick count when we were using them...Tim even wanted to go to stainless skewers at one time -- the search for "perfect" chicken skin continues!!!

Solidkick
05-02-2006, 12:30 PM
The Rep at Warsaw came by the shop today with our actual Chicken scores prior to the DQ. 2nd place!!!!!! Which would have given us the GC by 20 points!!!

Sometimes you eat the Bear!!

Sometimes the Bear eats you!!

Check for those pix boys!! One can really ruin your day!!

Spice
As tough of a time as Steve was having with this already.....I'm sure this put him the rest of the way under......Dammit, I hate that it happened, especially to him.....tell him to keep his head up and count the damn toothpicks....:frown: