PDA

View Full Version : Chicken breast category - ideas??

GrillBillie_D
09-19-2013, 05:24 PM
He are doing a comp next weekend and chicken breast is one of the 3 categories (they say KCBS style judging....we are also doing ribs and tri-tip).

A few of us were kicking around ideas on how we might cook chicken breast.

We were thinking of getting 3 whole, smaller chickens....rubbed, oiled, etc....after smoking, cutting out all 6 of the breasts to turn in (skin on). It's a no garnish box too so we think 6 could fit. What do you think about that idea?

My first thought was boneless, skinless chicken breasts but I the only time I love breasts (from a chicken :icon_smile_tongue:) is when I cook it whole.

Anybody got any ideas? feedback? Should we sauce?

ShencoSmoke
09-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Have you thought about pulled, sauced breast meat? No experience here but it might be possible to provide a box style similar to pork boxes. Sliced breast (like u describe above) beside pulled white meat.

landarc
09-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Zero experience with the idea of chicken breast competition meat. But, I like the idea of cooking the breast on the bones, even on a whole chicken, then removing and boxing. I suspect that I would give it a light brine or injection to aid in moisture.

Podge
09-19-2013, 07:28 PM
I got plenty of ideas.. I'll post the day after the jack.

Big Mike
09-19-2013, 08:35 PM
I would start with boneless skinless instead of whole chickens. I think you will end up with better presentation than you would if you cut the breast off after cooking. If you are wanting to put 6 breasts in the box, you can go to Sams and get a package of the individually sealed breasts. They are usually fairly small and evenly sized. If they don't have those, you can get there multipack of breasts. They are usually a bit bigger, but with a little trimming you should be good to go.

Get you some of your favorite chicken marinade or injection and use it. Try and let it sit for a few hours before putting in the cooker. When done marinating, wipe off the excess and coat with your favorite rub (top and bottom) and put it on the cooker. When done, pull off the smoker and put on your favorite sauce (not too much though). You will probably want to slice it instead of having the judge pick up a whole breast and take a bit out of it.

Hawg Father of Seoul
09-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Breast fatty.

GrillBillie_D
09-19-2013, 10:22 PM
We are definitely going to inject....and brine if we can (1 day comps don't give much time from meat inspection till time to get on the grill).

Sounds like you all have the same thoughts we have....just not really sure the best way to go. I gotta give the organizer some credit....threw in a twist that got us thinking outside the box.

I do remember that when I have done boneless, skinless breasts, that after they were cut into slices, the tend to cool and dry out pretty fast. That was the main reason we kicked the idea around of parts of a whole breast. I know the presentation would probably be better with a couple of boneless, skinless breasts but not so sure taste and tenderness would hold up.

While the rules don't specify, we also thought about stuffed chicken breasts....but I don't think that would hold up to the spirit of what they are trying to do. We try to play fair :wink: Breast stuffed with bacon wrapped thigh meat??

GrillBillie_D
09-19-2013, 10:23 PM
I got plenty of ideas.. I'll post the day after the jack.

Love the honesty.....best of luck!!

GrillBillie_D
09-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Have you thought about pulled, sauced breast meat? No experience here but it might be possible to provide a box style similar to pork boxes. Sliced breast (like u describe above) beside pulled white meat.

This definitely sound interesting....would be pretty easy to do...gonna kick this one around a bit :thumb: