PDA

View Full Version : what is a bad burnt end

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-18-2013, 09:37 AM
I hear a lot of teams say " don't put burnt ends in the box if they aren't perfect" . what makes a perfect burnt end. I have been turning in tender, not fatty, "moist" and flavorful burnt ends and it doesn't seem to make a difference between just slices or endz and slices. Anyone know what a judge (or anyone else) considers a good vs. bad burnt end?

columbia1
09-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Funny you asked, we had some really horrible burnt ends at our last comp, the briskets got done about two hours earlier then normal(goofy weather and the pit was just not happy), we let them rest for five hours waiting for turn-in, by then all the fat had melted out of the point leaving nothing but dry burnt ends, STUPID me, we turned them in and got hammered!!(brisket is normally our best category)

Slamdunkpro
09-18-2013, 10:29 AM
what makes a perfect burnt end.
If you find out please let me know.

Uncle Buds BBQ
09-18-2013, 11:31 AM
I have never had a "perfect" BE but have judged many excellent ones.

They are crunchy and dark on the outside...soft flavorful on the inside. Tastes like a ribeye steak.

Scottie
09-18-2013, 11:34 AM
No resistance when you are chewing it. Not mush, as it should hold it's shape when slicing. But melt in your mouth.

When in doubt, leave it out....

Rich Parker
09-18-2013, 11:40 AM
I have had a problem with mine overcooking lately to where they are just too rendered and don't want to stay together when slicing.

boogiesnap
09-18-2013, 11:45 AM
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t573/boogiesnap/photo99_zps8b0cbb79.jpg?t=1379522720

this one did not suck.

akoda
09-18-2013, 11:48 AM
I just licked my monitor, mmmm

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t573/boogiesnap/photo99_zps8b0cbb79.jpg?t=1379522720

this one did not suck.

sdbbq1234
09-18-2013, 12:34 PM
To your original subject question, "what is a bad burnt end", stop by our site at Keystone. I usually have a great example of a bad burnt ends. :oops:

wallace

Uncle JJ
09-18-2013, 01:00 PM
I tried to make them, and I didn't like the sweetness of the bbq sauce on them. I mixed 1/2 sauce and 1/2 au jus. Do y'all (and the judges) like the sweetness, or do you use a sauce that isn't sweet?

TooSaucedToPork
09-18-2013, 01:29 PM
If tasting your burnt ends causes unmentionable parts of your body to jump to life...put them in the box. Otherwise leave em out. Lol

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-18-2013, 01:59 PM
If tasting your burnt ends causes unmentionable parts of your body to jump to life...put them in the box. Otherwise leave em out. Lol

those would be some winning endz!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-18-2013, 02:01 PM
I have actually been cubing up the point, reseasoning and saucing prior to putting them back on the cooker. I cook SUPER hot so the render pretty quick.

Kave Dweller
09-18-2013, 02:04 PM
I have had a problem with mine overcooking lately to where they are just too rendered and don't want to stay together when slicing.

You've been called in brisket everytime I've been around ya this year?

Stoke&Smoke
09-18-2013, 04:49 PM
I think scottie nailed it. Crispy crust and just melts in your mouth!

island smoker
09-18-2013, 07:28 PM
They melt in your mouth and have a great beef flavor. I had some of the best burnt ends when judging the Sam's Club event in Laurel MD!

Skip
09-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Funny you asked, we had some really horrible burnt ends at our last comp, the briskets got done about two hours earlier then normal(goofy weather and the pit was just not happy), we let them rest for five hours waiting for turn-in, by then all the fat had melted out of the point leaving nothing but dry burnt ends, STUPID me, we turned them in and got hammered!!(brisket is normally our best category)

From the description I am thinking these were wagyu?

Did you cool them after an hour or let them cook in a cambro?

I like the crispy crunchy outside and tender smooth inside. Even better when you can get some good clean white fat to crisp up after you separate.

We don't put endz in a box unless we want to eat them all and are confident in everyone we pick up. If they are hit or miss we leave them out. We don't dig around.

rookiedad
09-18-2013, 08:30 PM
humor me!!! i know this is what we are accepting as burnt ends in competition bbq and i myself am in trying to get them right, but... they are not burnt ends! they are carmelized deckle cubes or point cubes or whatever you want to call them. real burnt ends are just that. the crispy burnt ends of the flat. they are an important part of barbeque and i think they have a place in the box, not that i would try putting them in there just yet, but i would like to see burnt ends represented as such and the point, weather it be cubed or sliced (as in moist as oppposed to lean slices, as it is often served) adressed with its own treatment. okay, i guess i'm done!

Hawg Father of Seoul
09-18-2013, 08:59 PM
humor me!!! i know this is what we are accepting as burnt ends in competition bbq and i myself am in trying to get them right, but... they are not burnt ends! they are carmelized deckle cubes or point cubes or whatever you want to call them. real burnt ends are just that. the crispy burnt ends of the flat. they are an important part of barbeque and i think they have a place in the box, not that i would try putting them in there just yet, but i would like to see burnt ends represented as such and the point, weather it be cubed or sliced (as in moist as oppposed to lean slices, as it is often served) adressed with its own treatment. okay, i guess i'm done!

How does your brisket do in a competitive field?

Ever cooked a comp within a couple hours of KC?

jeffturnerjr
09-19-2013, 12:01 AM
I just licked my monitor, mmmm

you're dang right.

sweetracks
09-19-2013, 07:35 AM
We've been leaving ours out the last 4 or so comps as a bit of experiment and have noticed a big jump in scores. Which means one of two things...our BE suck really bad or the judges are tired of chitty BEs and are relieved to not have to suffer through the BE roulette. I'm going with the former and we have chitty BEs :twitch:

akoda
09-19-2013, 07:47 AM
I am sorry to hear you say that but thanks, for a newbie I have tried to force the issue. I like what someone else said and I will continue to try and make them but leave them out until I get them to the point of not wanting to give them away.:wacko:

We've been leaving ours out the last 4 or so comps as a bit of experiment and have noticed a big jump in scores. Which means one of two things...our BE suck really bad or the judges are tired of chitty BEs and are relieved to not have to suffer through the BE roulette. I'm going with the former and we have chitty BEs :twitch:

sweetracks
09-19-2013, 08:00 AM
I am sorry to hear you say that but thanks, for a newbie I have tried to force the issue. I like what someone else said and I will continue to try and make them but leave them out until I get them to the point of not wanting to give them away.:wacko:

We continue to work on ours and when they hit the point of "food-gasm" we'll put them in again. Until then, I'll leave them out and take the "calls"

Ford
09-19-2013, 08:01 AM
In kcbs and FBA it's different than going to a restaurant in kc. Especially on the east coast. They think a burnt end is beef candy. When you separate the point to wrap add lots of sugar. Then slice, add sauce. All the comments on moist and tender are spot on. Melt in your mouth.

Gowan
09-19-2013, 08:31 AM
At a KCBS contest? Let me break it down for you as simply as possible:

Forget the term "burnt end" completely. Think "soft cubes of brisket" and you'll be on the right track.

boogiesnap
09-19-2013, 08:46 AM
both excellent observation and comments above.

Rich Parker
09-19-2013, 11:37 AM
You've been called in brisket everytime I've been around ya this year?

I have been having an ok year with brisket but only turned in burnt ends maybe three times this year.

Q-Dat
09-19-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm in the camp of only putting them in the box if you eat one and you KNOW that it has to go in the box because they came out that good!

One time they were so good that I almost left the slices out if the box and they were pretty good too!

Scottie
09-19-2013, 02:19 PM

I had flat and point in my box at Silver Lake. No Wagyu. Prime...

sweetracks
09-19-2013, 03:33 PM
I had flat and point in my box at Silver Lake. No Wagyu. Prime...

We used a Chairman's Reserve Brisket. Feel pretty good I was only 4 points behind a brisket master :clap: