PDA

View Full Version : Just Flats

akoda
09-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Does anyone just smoke flats at competitions? or at least you could separate flat and point prior to smoking, correct?

bigzthamoose
09-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Havent done it at a competition yet, but I have tried it every once in awhile at home, when i decided i didnt want to worry about seperating a smokin hot piece of meat halfway through! =) They both turned out great without the point on during the cook. So i dont know. HOld your judgement for someone more worthy of giving you advice, im just a rookie.

akoda
09-18-2013, 08:23 AM
I guess the question could have been how many don't make burnt ends or can you make good burnt ends with a flat. I attempted burnt ends and I am missing something :) besides good flavor ;)

Havent done it at a competition yet, but I have tried it every once in awhile at home, when i decided i didnt want to worry about seperating a smokin hot piece of meat halfway through! =) They both turned out great without the point on during the cook. So i dont know. HOld your judgement for someone more worthy of giving you advice, im just a rookie.

INmitch
09-18-2013, 08:40 AM
I trim at home before comps. I only cook flats, no burnt ends. I've had a little success doing it this way.
The point n trimmings make awesome (but expensive) burgers!

Pole D
09-18-2013, 08:43 AM
I've personally only cooked packers but I might be cooking flats this weekend as I'm having a hard time finding a good packer! Note to self: Don't wait until the week of the comp to purchase the meats!

I do know of several teams that cook flats only. They just don't put ends in the box. Not including them is a better option than putting bad ones in.

Lowki
09-18-2013, 09:23 AM
I don't believe that you would get the same burnt ends from the flat, just not enough fat in there.Not that they wouldn't be tasty, just not the same. Never tried it though. What are you having problems with exactly? Explain your process so far, and the excellent gents here more knowledgable than myself will most likely set you on right path.

akoda
09-18-2013, 11:27 AM
I think my issue is "the process" ;). My first comp was a couple of weeks ago and I tried to make burnt ends for the second time. The first time they sucked and the second time (comp day) I was too tired to realize how much they sucked. I turned them in anyway and I think it cost me. Everything wasn't great anyway but the bad burnt ends made it worse.

What I did was took the best of two points I had (based on flavor and texture) the cubed some pieces tried to get an inch cube then tossed them into a foil pan with some sauce and peach cider. Then back on the smoker top rack (WSM) running 250ish and kept tossing them around occasionally until turn-in time.

I don't believe that you would get the same burnt ends from the flat, just not enough fat in there.Not that they wouldn't be tasty, just not the same. Never tried it though. What are you having problems with exactly? Explain your process so far, and the excellent gents here more knowledgable than myself will most likely set you on right path.

BaggerBill
09-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Note to self: Don't wait until the week of the comp to purchase the meats!

I hope you don't mind a side question, does this mean you buy your meats and freeze them? I've only done two comps so far, both since the last week August so I'm still pretty green as to when to buy meats. I've been busting butt and buying them the week of the comp, in one case it was late on a Thursday night.

Kave Dweller
09-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I tried cooking just a flat last weekend, boy did I screw that thing up. I'll stick to the whole....

Pole D
09-18-2013, 02:07 PM
^^I don't freeze much since I only do a handful of comps a year but I like to get the meats 2 weeks before the comp so I don't have to worry about it. Especially the brisket.

Q-Dat
09-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Cooking a flat by itself can come out just as moist and tender as cooking it whole. You have to cook by feel and color though because the perfect doneness window is smaller. You are flirting with disaster if you try to cook a flat by time and or internal temp. I find that unless you get a really thick one you don't get an accurate internal temp anyway due to the short distance between the center and the bark.

CivilWarBBQ
09-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Back when we cooked on 18" ceramic grills exclusively it wasn't practical to cook whole packers, so we used flats exclusively. It takes different timing obviously, but there is no penalty in the quality of the finished product. The average KCBS entry here in Georgia is more likely to NOT contain burnt ends than it is to have them, so cooking just flats was no problem.

bruno994
09-19-2013, 10:10 AM
I hope you don't mind a side question, does this mean you buy your meats and freeze them? I've only done two comps so far, both since the last week August so I'm still pretty green as to when to buy meats. I've been busting butt and buying them the week of the comp, in one case it was late on a Thursday night.
I like to buy a month in advance, keep it in the extra fridge to wet age for anywhere between 3 to 4 weeks. The week or weekend before a comp, I'll take it out of the cryo, wash it off, trim it up then vac seal it, freeze it for a few days if I trimmed during the weekend, if I trimmed on Tuesday or Wednesday before a comp, I'll just put it back in the fridge. I also keep a backup supply of 3 to 4 briskets in the freezer in case I have a hard time finding some good Choice CAB briskets.

accuseal
09-19-2013, 06:47 PM
I do the same. I buy a case of packers from RD so that I have the kill date. 30 to 35 days wet age then in the freezer. No degradation in quality IMHO. Be sure to allow 5 days or so for thaw.