PDA

View Full Version : First Competition and the worst thing possible happened!

PekingPorker
09-15-2013, 08:04 PM
We got two calls! 3rd Place Pork and 5th Place Chicken. 7th Overall!

The Atlanta BBQ Festival was our first ever competition and despite registering for backyard we competed in the pro division because backyard filled up. I thought our chicken was going to get disqualified because the piece I tasted when we pulled it off the smoker was undercooked. The next piece was cooked, so we tried to pick the smallest pieces possible hoping they were cooked. When it came to pork, I have been trying to cook the money muscle all summer and failed every time. It always crumbled. For competition we cooked 4 pork butts, and I pulled one at 182 degrees and one at 186 degrees for the money muscles. After resting in a faux cambro for two hours, the 182 degree one sliced perfectly. First time I have successfully cooked the MM! Must have been beginners luck!

Unfortunately, I screwed up our ribs, which going in I thought would be our best category. I've cooked excellent ribs all summer long, and thought is was the only meat we had a chance to do well in. Of course, I over cooked them for the first time in months. Who knows what might have happened if I hadn't done that, but I'm not complaining.

I'd like to especially thank all the Brethren members who offered me support and advice over the past few months leading up to our first competition. We couldn't have done it without the wisdom of experienced teams sharing their knowledge.

Congrats to Hogz Gone Wild on your Grand. Your strategy of coming to Atlanta worked beautifully!

Also, really nice to meet Wilbur's Been Smokin' Somethin' congrats on your calls in backyard!

Here's some pRon. Luckily my sister-in-law is a photographer and got a ton of pictures of us.

LMAJ
09-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Hum... First comp, 7th over all... Worst thing possible? What, that you are now hooked?

Congrats!!!

PekingPorker
09-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Hum... First comp, 7th over all... Worst thing possible? What, that you are now hooked?

Congrats!!!

Exactly!

Teamfour
09-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Congrats!

CBQ
09-15-2013, 08:33 PM

Congrats!!!

Ya, he knows how this goes. New tents, new cookers, new coolers, new truck, cargo trailer, then travel trailer, then a motorhome for appearances at the Royal and The Jack. He's pretty screwed. Congrats, though - excellent results for your first contest.

sdbbq1234
09-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Ya, he knows how this goes. New tents, new cookers, new coolers, new truck, cargo trailer, then travel trailer, then a motorhome for appearances at the Royal and The Jack. He's pretty screwed. Congrats, though - excellent results for your first contest.

^^^^+1

You are screwed! Kiss your weekends, any spare time you "thought" you had goodbye!

It's a blast from here on!

BTW, BIG Congrats!!

wallace

Ron_L
09-15-2013, 09:02 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your call! Your life as you know it is over. You may as well hand your credit card over to the local BBQ supply store, butcher, restaurant supply store and RV dealer.

:becky:

Congrats on a great weekend!

BRBBQ
09-15-2013, 09:06 PM
I like the looks of your turn in box's above,,congrats

hogzgonewild
09-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Congrats! You guys did a great job. Those boxes look beautiful!

KingRanch450
09-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Congragulations....did you take your Assassin?

PekingPorker
09-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Congragulations....did you take your Assassin?

Yep, we cooked everything on the Assassin. Loaded her up and she performed beautifully!

KingRanch450
09-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Yep, we cooked everything on the Assassin. Loaded her up and she performed beautifully!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear....dang I can't wait!

Okie Sawbones
09-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Y'all are killing me with all of this talk of the Assassin. Right when I thought I had my mind made up... :confused:

jeffturnerjr
09-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Great job!!

BillyVoltaire
09-15-2013, 11:08 PM
A chicken call from the Judging Table of Death (4) is extremely impressive, only call from anyone landing on that table I believe. You may have won chicken on any of the other tables.

Did not get to meet you guys (we were in spot 4, Will & The Thrills), next time I will make it a point.

BV

Diesel Dave
09-16-2013, 05:39 AM
A BIG congrats on the results of your first time out!!!!

cpw
09-16-2013, 05:46 AM
Awesome work! You're in real trouble now.

WineMaster
09-16-2013, 05:56 AM
Great job!

hogzgonewild
09-16-2013, 06:59 AM
Y'all are killing me with all of this talk of the Assassin. Right when I thought I had my mind made up... :confused:

You know, I heard the GC used a Superior Smokers SS-One! :)

bruno994
09-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Big congrats!

PekingPorker
09-16-2013, 07:38 AM
You know, I heard the GC used a Superior Smokers SS-One! :)

A fine smoker as well, and Jeff Conley makes both Superior and Assassin :-D

PekingPorker
09-16-2013, 07:41 AM
A chicken call from the Judging Table of Death (4) is extremely impressive, only call from anyone landing on that table I believe. You may have won chicken on any of the other tables.

Did not get to meet you guys (we were in spot 4, Will & The Thrills), next time I will make it a point.

BV

Yeah, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. Congrats on your pork call as well.

I haven't looked at the scores closely enough yet to realize our chicken was at the table of death. Man, now you've got me thinking "what if?" Oh well, we're perfectly happy with getting any recognition our first time out. Our goal going in was to not finish DAL.

BillyVoltaire
09-16-2013, 08:29 AM
I hear you on the "What If", first thing that hit me when I saw the sheet. We finished eight overall with a 36 of 40 in chicken. We totally botched one of the trays of chicken and had to get six pieces from one nine piece tray. Skin was like rubber so we had no thoughts of finishing high in chicken but if we had pulled a 15th place in chicken we could have won GC.

We know what we need to work on but more than pleased with three top ten finishes (5 pork, 7 brisket, 7 ribs) in our first outing. Gotta find some time today to do a post mortem on what went well and what didn't while it is fresh in my mind (organization was totally lacking tops the list).

Only disappointment is no call in brisket, we thought it was spot on. I almost didn't put the burnt ends in the box because I wanted to eat them so badly, hehe.

Congrats again. You guys cooking in Cumming in November? Marietta in a couple weeks?

BV

Yeah, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. Congrats on your pork call as well.

I haven't looked at the scores closely enough yet to realize our chicken was at the table of death. Man, now you've got me thinking "what if?" Oh well, we're perfectly happy with getting any recognition our first time out. Our goal going in was to not finish DAL.

fnbish
09-16-2013, 08:30 AM
So are you already signed up for your next one then?? :becky::clap2:

CivilWarBBQ
09-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Don't say we didn't warn you.

Congrats brother. Looks like you turned in some good stuff!

rxcellentq
09-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Congrats and once the hook is set there is no way out.

Uncle JJ
09-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Congrats! I can't wait to do my first comp. Very inspiring!

Cast Iron Chef
09-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Good job!

PekingPorker
09-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Congrats again. You guys cooking in Cumming in November? Marietta in a couple weeks?

BV

Unfortunately, we aren't signed up for any other events this year. We have a 14 month old baby, so this was a lot of stress on my wife between all my practice cooks all summer, and the logistics of getting people to take care of the baby over the past weekend.

We totally plan on hitting the competition trail more for the 2014 season. We are probably heading to Marietta and Cumming as spectators, so we'll come introduce ourselves.

BillyVoltaire
09-16-2013, 09:57 AM
We will definitely be in Cumming. Couldn't get a commitment from any of my buddies for Marietta unfortunately, especially since the Marietta Square is about four miles from our house.

Haha, I had the same stress with finding someone to take care of our hound dogs (I hate boarding them). Those are my babies, hehe.

Did you see that Stewart Cink's team finished 9th. They had a strong showing except for chicken (worse than ours, peeeeeew, hehe). I think they won ribs (Que School).

BV

Unfortunately, we aren't signed up for any other events this year. We have a 14 month old baby, so this was a lot of stress on my wife between all my practice cooks all summer, and the logistics of getting people to take care of the baby over the past weekend.

We totally plan on hitting the competition trail more for the 2014 season. We are probably heading to Marietta and Cumming as spectators, so we'll come introduce ourselves.

bigzthamoose
09-16-2013, 10:04 AM
congrats man!~ Crazy finish!! Im hooked after finishing 18th, i cant imagine how hoooked you are! lol Good job man!!

hogzgonewild
09-16-2013, 10:35 AM
We will definitely be in Cumming. Couldn't get a commitment from any of my buddies for Marietta unfortunately, especially since the Marietta Square is about four miles from our house.

Haha, I had the same stress with finding someone to take care of our hound dogs (I hate boarding them). Those are my babies, hehe.

Did you see that Stewart Cink's team finished 9th. They had a strong showing except for chicken (worse than ours, peeeeeew, hehe). I think they won ribs (Que School).

BV

Stewart was setup right behind us this weekend and the had a great showing! It 's awesome to see someone who has one the British open show up with a Lang and an EZ-Up and stay up all night long feeding that thing wood. He gets alot of respect from me!

PekingPorker
09-16-2013, 10:53 AM
I totally missed him. I heard he was there when we were loading out.

That's awesome he was feeding that stick burner. Definite respect.

big brother smoke
09-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Congrats and enjoy this addiction.

BillyVoltaire
09-16-2013, 11:33 AM
I didn't even realize he was there until I saw him in front of the stage. I would have gone and bothered him, fellow Tech guy.

BV

IStewart was setup right behind us this weekend and the had a great showing! It 's awesome to see someone who has one the British open show up with a Lang and an EZ-Up and stay up all night long feeding that thing wood. He gets alot of respect from me!

Pole D
09-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Congrats! Great results for first time out. Hell, great results for any time out.

Loved the pictures. One thing I missed was your pork sauce recipe. Could you repeat that please?

wrenfro12
09-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Congrats on the calls...I did not have much time to walk around as I would have liked. This was my first comp cooking, prepping boxes and walking to turn in solo.

PekingPorker
09-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Congrats on the calls...I did not have much time to walk around as I would have liked. This was my first comp cooking, prepping boxes and walking to turn in solo.

You were running solo and won the Reserve Grand in Backyard?!?! Well done sir!

bjgamez
09-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ckelly
09-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Outstanding! Chris G was telling me about this in the lunchroom yesterday but I didn't make it onto the forum until now. Looking forward to hearing of your successes down the road!

BBQchef33
09-17-2013, 06:34 PM
congrats!

Welcome to the dark side, life as you know it will likely be changing..

mep
09-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Congratulations! The Assassin is smoking the competition. You guys have some cooking skills.