PDA

View Full Version : slicing brisket

blue ox
04-10-2006, 10:14 PM
What do you use to get uniform pieces for your turn in boxes? To you just eyeball it and take your time or do you use something as a guide. Also does anyone have some pics of boxes for various entries? Thanks, Perry

Jeff_in_KC
04-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Perry, I just eyeball it and try to imagine the thickness of a #2 pencil as they teach in judging classes and in the cooking class I took. That's right at 1/4 inch.

HoDeDo
04-10-2006, 10:43 PM
I bought a small, inexpensive slicer for roughly $65 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. A Waring Pro , with a 10" blade. Alum. contruction - so it is light, and portable. It makes perfect slices everytime. And on the off chance you get a brisket you can't get tender in time.... slice it thin to win! :o)

cmcadams
04-11-2006, 04:59 AM
I use either a sushi knife or an electric knife.

MoKanMeathead
04-11-2006, 08:05 AM
We use an electric knife and eyeball it.

Blue - I think if you go to the photo gallery you will see some pics of turn in boxes.

Bigmista
04-11-2006, 11:54 AM
A good knife and a steady hand make all of the difference.

blue ox
04-11-2006, 01:05 PM
I bought a small, inexpensive slicer for roughly $65 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. A Waring Pro , with a 10" blade. Alum. contruction - so it is light, and portable. It makes perfect slices everytime. And on the off chance you get a brisket you can't get tender in time.... slice it thin to win! :o)

I have that same slicer, I also have an electric knife. Do they usually supply power at the comps? I guess even if they don't I'll have power in the motorhome.

cmcadams
04-11-2006, 01:19 PM
This will do a great job on brisket... just waiting to get one for myself!
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/factorydirect2_1889_24916803

Sawdustguy
04-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Gents.

A Granton Slicer is a great knife to use. The hollow outs on the side of the knife prevent friction on the blade so the knife will cut the brisket like butter.

HoDeDo
04-11-2006, 08:41 PM
I have that same slicer, I also have an electric knife. Do they usually supply power at the comps? I guess even if they don't I'll have power in the motorhome.

Usually you will know in advance if they won't have power. Most include that in thier packets of information. Some provide power free, some charge a small additional cost for 15/20/30 amp service. There are very few that dont have something available. I say try the knife and slicer at home and see which you like the best. The Granton Slicer works just as sawdustguy says.... like butta. I just happen to usually be starting with a carryover buzz after cooking, drinking and BSing all night at the contest. I suck at making consistant slices, so I use the slicer. At home, I actually use same henkel pictured! You can pick up decent ones at just about any restaraunt supply store ( like RJ's in Kansas City) for $50 or less.

Cheers
AG

Bigmista
04-12-2006, 03:35 PM
One of my teammates bought one of these and it worked like a dream!

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/3536.jpg

Sawdustguy
04-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Neil, that just happens to be a Granton Slicer. Notice the hollow outs on the side of the blade. That limits friction on the blade so it cut like butter. They are available from many manufacturers.

Sparky
12-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I have the same one that Neil showed, it is from Victronox and it makes GREAT slices in almost anything!

Brian in So Cal
12-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Hey Sparky, Long time no hear from.

I have that same Forschner Knife, it works like a charm.

Jaberwabee
12-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Holy old posts, but I have the Henckels and a Forstner and they both work great.

Alexa RnQ
12-03-2008, 09:07 PM
VQ uses Forschners. Best birthday present I ever got for him.

bbqbull
12-03-2008, 09:28 PM
I use a 14 inch long Forchener knife for slicing my briskets.

PatioDaddio
12-04-2008, 01:45 AM
My slicer is a Forschner, but I can't say enough good things about Dexter-Russell knives (http://www.dexter-russell.com/Universal_Prod_Display_2.asp?Line=SG&Type=13). They are very well made, comfortable to use, inexpensive, and they have an edge that won't quit.

John

CivilWarBBQ
12-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Johnny cuts our brisket - he's such a good carver he can slice meat so thin you can read through it! The big Granton makes quick work of a brisket but I still can't get the slices as even as Johnny does so I leave it to him unless he has to leave early. I guess I was born to be a butcher, not a chef, as I truly enjoy knife work with raw meat more than cooked.

backporchbbq
12-04-2008, 02:33 AM
Before we put the rub on we put 2 slices on the long sides to make the slices even. then we use an electric knife.

Bud's BBQ
12-04-2008, 05:26 AM
We've tried three different knives plus an electric. After all is said and done, it's practice, practice, practice.......

Scottie
12-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I use a 12" Granton. I have a eletric, a cordless and about 4 other big slicers that I should sell on eBay. One bit of advice that I started doing. Right after brisket turn in. Go back you your camp and slice everything to turn in size. No matter how much you want to sit and catch your breath. Practice on them at comp style conditions than on those practice one's you do at home. Or don't just wrap them up and do them the next day. Hit them when they are hot. As Walt said... Practice.

Speaking of Walt. When are you going to be ready to get rid of that FE? I need to leave one out NE. Save me some driving.

Doctor Porkenstein
12-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Back off my FE

Scottie
12-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Oh yea, I was asking for you...

Against The Grain
12-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Remember to slice Against The Grain

Bud's BBQ
12-05-2008, 06:01 AM
I use a 12" Granton. I have a eletric, a cordless and about 4 other big slicers that I should sell on eBay. One bit of advice that I started doing. Right after brisket turn in. Go back you your camp and slice everything to turn in size. No matter how much you want to sit and catch your breath. Practice on them at comp style conditions than on those practice one's you do at home. Or don't just wrap them up and do them the next day. Hit them when they are hot. As Walt said... Practice.

Speaking of Walt. When are you going to be ready to get rid of that FE? I need to leave one out NE. Save me some driving.

Of the knives that we've tried, Theresa finds that the inexpensive Dexter Russel 12" Granton works the best and, as Scotty says, we carefully slice the entire briskets after each comp to gain more practice. We carry the majic chef sharpener and keep the knives very sharp. Theresa quickly wipes the blade after each slice (otherwise, you can get particles all over the next slice).

As for the FE, consider returning to your roots and pick up our slightly used and award winning Lang 60 which is up for sale......sticks rule!!

Back off my FE

Hmmmmm, do I smell a bidding war? :icon_pissed

Chipper
12-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Forschner purchased at the Restaurant Store.

Scottie
12-05-2008, 10:15 AM

Nah, I'll just talk to Cookshack. My friend from Wisconsin wants to be just like me. Soon, he will have the power of 2 FE's... :roll: :eek: :twisted:

To keep on topic, I also have a 14" granton that I think is too big for slicing.

tonto1117
12-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Back off my FE

LOL....It's not for sale fellers.....:icon_smil

Scottie
12-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Everyone knows that you can't cook on both a FE and a Geer pit. No how no way... I couldn't even imagine anyone being able to accomplish such a feet. It's new school v. old school.... :icon_shy

billm
12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
To keep on topic, I also have a 14" granton that I think is too big for slicing.

I like the 14" one....chicks dig it too:-D

barbefunkoramaque
12-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I vote for slicing the brisket all the way through.

tonto1117
12-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Everyone knows that you can't cook on both a FE and a Geer pit. No how no way... I couldn't even imagine anyone being able to accomplish such a feet. It's new school v. old school.... :icon_shy

lmao....whoda thunk!!:tongue:

barbefunkoramaque
12-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Remember to slice Against The Grain

First time I heard this phrase was from Charlie Alkali himself in Galveston. I didn't get what he was saying. He had to show me on a flat of fajitas.

His first instruction was slice diagonal to make 1 to 2" slices in width. I looked at the flanks steak and said.."It's a half an inch thick. How can I make meat larger than it is"
I think I was maybe 12 at the time.

This scene and the fire my father started with Charlie's secret marinade in the fireplace are in my book.

The Pigman
12-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Scottie if you have a slaicer for sale maybe we can work something out.

scottyd
12-05-2008, 05:01 PM
I over cook it and grind it and put miracle whip with it a little sweet pickle relish and put it on a bun and call it a dam day. because dude I messed up. Feed it to the neighbors.

Sparky
12-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Brian, we have got to get you on a date to get a better picture for your avatar! Of course "bashey" was pretty tasty...

Sparky
12-14-2008, 10:23 PM
We carry the majic chef sharpener and keep the knives very sharp.
Which sharpener do you have?

tonto1117
12-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Which sharpener do you have?

We have the Chef's Choice model 130 Professional Sharpening station. Would highly reccomend it to anyone, makes quick work of keeping all of are knives very sharp!

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/3681/chefs130tuq0.jpg

Stoke&Smoke
12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ditto what she said! We have the same one. Only thing I would say is practice the first couple of times with a knife you don't mind screwing up a little. That first wheel has some bite!

I usually just use the steel and the strop disk

I know Cooks Illustrated rated it their favorite as well

smokincracker
12-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Uniform Slices

ique
12-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Uniform Slices

Those that don't like garnish and say they are forced to in order to compete, just dont know how to do it. That right there gets all 9's in a KCBS contest in my opinion. Kudos.

Jacked UP BBQ
12-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Those that don't like garnish and say they are forced to in order to compete, just dont know how to do it. That right there gets all 9's in a KCBS contest in my opinion. Kudos.

I agree

smokincracker
12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree

Thanks Guys

Funny you say that! The fact is this box is proof.
The Lakeland, FL Pig Fest, KCBS
Reserve Grand, 1st Ribs, 3rd Brisket, 2007

Not too offen I ever use garnish.

smokincracker
12-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks Guys

Funny you say that! The fact is this box is proof.
The Lakeland, FL Pig Fest, KCBS
Reserve Grand, 1st Ribs, 3rd Brisket, 2007

Not too offen I ever use garnish.

I'll look around for the score sheet....

Sidw
12-19-2008, 12:03 PM
We have the Chef's Choice model 130 Professional Sharpening station. Would highly reccomend it to anyone, makes quick work of keeping all of are knives very sharp!

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/3681/chefs130tuq0.jpg

We have the CC model 110 - similar but earlier version I believe. I read some real good reviews regarding the model 110, but I stll have not been able to get an edge I am happy with. I do think it is an operator thing and not a product issue though. Dang - I can't cook or sharpen kniveshttp://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Vince RnQ
12-19-2008, 12:14 PM
There's a place about 10 minutes from my house that sharpens knives and will even do it while you wait if you so desire. I had my Forschner slicer, Santoku, boning knife and paring knife done and it set me back about $9.00 for the lot. I love having gadgets but I think I'll leave the knife sharpening to the experts and just stick with honing them myself with my steel.

Dale P
12-19-2008, 12:25 PM
We have the CC model 110 - similar but earlier version I believe. I read some real good reviews regarding the model 110, but I stll have not been able to get an edge I am happy with. I do think it is an operator thing and not a product issue though. Dang - I can't cook or sharpen kniveshttp://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

HA! Cant cook, thats a good one!:grin:

I bought the CC 300 and love it. $80 I think it was. It takes a few minutes to get a new knife ground down to fit the sharpener right but after you get the knife set, it doesnt take much time to keep them super sharp. It came with a hand held serrated sharpener that really does a good job too.

Sidw
12-27-2008, 03:03 PM
HA! Cant cook, thats a good one!:grin:

I bought the CC 300 and love it. $80 I think it was. It takes a few minutes to get a new knife ground down to fit the sharpener right but after you get the knife set, it doesnt take much time to keep them super sharp. It came with a hand held serrated sharpener that really does a good job too.

I didn't think you were allowed to carry anything sharp - did the judge back-off on that ruling?http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

smoke showin'
12-27-2008, 07:05 PM
#2 pencil eyeball it a good sharp carving knife with fluted edge only used for brisket

Dale in GA
01-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Ditto on the Forschner slicing knife, they are about $40 bucks -- a great deal. You can also wash them in the dishwasher and they re-sharpen easily.

Lake Dogs
02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Uniform Slices

Jimmy, nice lookin' brisket. I'm curious, is that from The Jack?

Congrats on beating Myron and team Bub-Ba-Q. I know of
both and they're both on their game this past season. Great
job (at the Jack)!!!

I did also notice, you guys are from Florida and competing in
The Jack (Tennessee), all areas where judges are more accustomed
(from what I've personally experienced) seeing boxes sans garnish.

I wonder if folks from IA or MO see the same frequently? <--- this
is just a curiosity question; not trying to make a point whatsoever.

wickedbbq'r
02-03-2010, 05:42 AM
On BBQ Pitmasters a few of the teams seem to have a white and blue cutting board with measurements on it. Am I correct? If so, what is it called and where do I find it? Thanks!

BigJimsBBQ
02-03-2010, 06:13 AM
On BBQ Pitmasters a few of the teams seem to have a white and blue cutting board with measurements on it. Am I correct? If so, what is it called and where do I find it? Thanks!

http://www.cutandtoss.com/pricing.htm

RubMeTender
02-03-2010, 08:21 AM
I figure the best way is to grab a laser chalk line and a fine edged table saw.

Nomanerz
02-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I use the Forschner Fibrox slicing knife with the hollow edge...it's relatively inexpensive (around $40) and it slices very nicely. It's also easy to sharpen.

Lake Dogs
02-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Jimmy, nice lookin' brisket. I'm curious, is that from The Jack?

Congrats on beating Myron and team Bub-Ba-Q. I know of
both and they're both on their game this past season. Great
job (at the Jack)!!!

I did also notice, you guys are from Florida and competing in
The Jack (Tennessee), all areas where judges are more accustomed
(from what I've personally experienced) seeing boxes sans garnish.

I wonder if folks from IA or MO see the same frequently? <--- this
is just a curiosity question; not trying to make a point whatsoever.

Jimmy and Chris, My sincere apologies to you both. In a complete
dain-bramaged moment, clicking back and forth between your two
URL's (on your signatures), I obviously confused you. My bad,
and my apologies. Sorry!

For those needing/requiring a road map as to how on earth someone
could unimaginably do something so stupid, I offer this pic:

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/hance_patrick/untitled2.jpg

juicybuttsbbq
02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I didn't think you were allowed to carry anything sharp - did the judge back-off on that ruling?http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

That's Hilarious!! Now I understand why they say Mike's the sharp One :),,,,,,Gotta Love those Perry Brothers !!!