PDA

View Full Version : Central North Carolina, 9/23-27/13

dwfisk
09-12-2013, 08:01 PM
My wife and I will be in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Winston Salem region of North Carolina the week of September 23 (she has a business trip, I'm just driving & playing). Going to try and get down to Lexington one day for lunch, but other recommendations are welcome. Oh, yea, I'm a breakfast junkie too if there is anywhere worth going out of my way to find. Thanks.

bbq.tom
09-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Raleigh - Clyde Cooper's BBQ, 109 E Davie St., Raleigh, NC 27601 - (919)832-7614
Raleigh - The Pit Authentic Barbecue, 328 W. Davie St., Raleigh, NC 27601 - (919)890-4500
Chapel Hill - Allen & Son's Pit Cooked BarBQ, 6203 Millhouse Rd, Chapel Hill, NC 27516 - (919)942-7576
Winston-Salem - Bibs Downtown (It's not Eastern or Western… it's "Bestern!"), 675 West 5th Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101 - (336)722.0007
Winston-Salem - Hill's Lexington Barbecue, 4005 Patterson Ave. Winston-Salem, NC 27105 - (336)767-2184

Here are a couple Q-joints that are pretty dad-gum good (IMHO).
The two in Raleigh are on the same street a couple blocks apart in downtown Raleigh. Clyde Cooper's is a historic establishment that still does "Eastern" barbecue the old fashioned way. Debbie and Randy Holt (the owners) are great people and take pride in keeping things authentic and of ultimate quality.
The Pit is a fairly "new" Q-joint that was started a few years ago by Ed Mitchel (after he got out of prison). Ed is a great pitmaster, but left The Pit early last year. I've not been there since Ed left, but have heard that it might not be quite as good as when he was there. It is a "fancy place" and you pay for the atmosphere!!!
Allen & Son's is betwen Chapel Hill and Hillsborough on HWY 86 (right at the RR tracks). Pretty good smoked stuff, but a wee bit expensive. Right down the street (about 5 miles) from where I live.
Bib's in downtown W-S has the best pulled pork that I've tried at a Q-joint in NC! (MOST places serve it chopped in a variety of chop - finely chopped (minced) to coarse chopped, but few served pulled. Bib's was on BBQ Pitmaster last year.
Hill's is just north of W-S, but is one of the best "Lexington style" Q-joints in NC (IMHO). Not too fancy, but "shut the front door" GOOD!

Just a couple ideas on barbecue in the areas you mentioned. A trip down to Lexington just might be disappointing if you are thinking that it is the Nirvana of NC BBQ. Gets LOTS of attention and publicity, but not the best in NC - AGAIN IMHO.

For breakfast - Brig's in Raleigh and Durham is pretty good. http://www.brigs.com/locations/

Let us know where you stopped and how everything was!!!

Gore
09-13-2013, 09:54 AM
My two favorite places to go are not actually for NC BBQ.

I really enjoy the original Q-Shack on University Blvd. It is Texas-style BBQ, so get the brisket and/or ribs. Here's a couple reviews here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125785

The other place I really enjoy is the Blue Note between Durham and Chapel Hill. Most people prefer their ribs (I don't), but the reason to go there is for the music. They have open mic nights on Monday (jazz) and Tuesday (blues) that are great fun and various bands on other nights.

http://www.thebluenotegrill.com/

Gore
09-15-2013, 11:01 AM
I just want to note that many BBQ joints close early in NC. I've made the trek to Clyde's and Allen & Son's, only to find them closed (about 6:30). I'm usually working late when I'm down there. I'm trying to talk Pole D into going for lunch sometime, but he keeps turning me down. :tsk:

jgbmgb
09-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Don't know if you'll be flying or driving, but if driving up 95 stop in Fayetteville on your way up or back at Fatback's BBQ and Rib Shack. Corey Brinson from BBQ Pitmasters. Small place with some great Q!!