PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Question

Dex
09-12-2013, 11:58 AM
I've read that it is best to have your brisket aged for ~40 days before using them in a competition. I am considering purchasing one online from either SRF or Creekstone Farms. Do any of you know if they are aged at all when they arrive?

Also, what is your take on how necessary it is to have them aged for that long?

Cayman1
09-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Creekstone should only be a day or so on the aging if you get it direct from Creekstone.

Basted moral support guy
09-12-2013, 12:32 PM
I've never dealt with that side of things (or any side of things aside from the drinking, really), but I think you can ask them the kill date on the brisket when you order it.

jaestar
09-12-2013, 01:05 PM
My understanding is that once the meat is frozen, wet aging won't help. I don't have my notes handy to go over why, but this came from a meat scientist.

Dex
09-12-2013, 01:08 PM
My understanding is that once the meat is frozen, wet aging won't help. I don't have my notes handy to go over why, but this came from a meat scientist.

As I mentioned this will be my first time ordering online... are they shipped frozen?

INmitch
09-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Creekstones are shipped fresh (unfrozen). SRF are shipped frozen. I've heard somewhere that SRF ages them before they freeze them. A quick call to customer service could answer that question.
As far as aging a prefrozen brisket.....I do between 15-25 days and I get a LOT of blood out of them when I open to trim.

Dex
09-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the help. I ordered a Creekstone online that has been wet aged for about 60 days then frozen.

CBQ
09-12-2013, 09:04 PM
The answer is...maybe.

SRF normally ages brisket 28 days before freezing, but if demand is high then they don't. So you don't really know.