View Full Version : Another transplant southerner here

09-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Hello All,

I am very happy to have found this community. There is an enormous amount of information and experience here. I look forward to avoiding newbie errors from your collective generosity.

18 years ago we moved from the Hudson Valley in New York to Chapel Hill in North Carolina. Almost immediately upon moving here I learned that one must support only one of the three college basketball teams: Duke North Carolina or NC State. Almost as immediately I learned that barbecuing is different than grilling. That subtlety didn't really sink in until I started watching BBQ Pitmasters... NOW I get it. So here I am.

I've been able to produce passable Boston Butt, Pork ribs, Beef ribs and Chicken wings by setting up my in-ground Broilmaster to cook with indirect heat with a smoke box. However I just couldn't get much smoke flavor on the meat. Additionally the temperature varied by as much as 78F in the grill according to the Maverick thermometer. So I decided to start to learn to cook with briquettes and got a Weber OTS. I set it up with fire bricks partitioning the briquettes away from the meat and using Apple and Cherry wood chunks. The Boston Butt came out much better. Now I am looking for a controller to make it more "hands off." Hopefully there is a solution among iQue, PartyQ, Aubers or others.

Sorry for the long intro, guess I'm excited to progress.

09-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Welcome from another newbie and I look forward to good BBQ chat!

09-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Welcome to both of Y'all! Jump on out into Q-Talk and become a Pitmaster like me! ;D

09-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Diesel Dave
09-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Welcome to the best BBQ forum there is

09-11-2013, 07:21 AM
Welcome to the forum.

09-11-2013, 09:48 AM

09-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Now to the IMPORTANT question - What team did you decide to follow?????????

My story is a little similar to yours - I'm a transplant from Ohio to NC (33 years ago), and live close - Hillsborough.

Sounds like you are progressing in your smoking endeavor. That's great! Keep on smoking and posting on here. We are basically a pretty good and friendly bunch.

09-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the welcoming messages, makes a newbie feel good!

Hello Tom, Thanks for posting. If you need any volunteer help please let me know. I have so much to learn about the "Art of the Q". I'm researching controllers now - and enjoying every minute of it.

And I had North Carolina chosen for me, my wife did her graduate and terminal degrees there. Color me Tarheel!

09-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Color me Tarheel!

You (she) picked the RIGHT team!!!

UNC = University of National Champions!!!

We (UNC) is still kinda struggling with football (at least we are in the upper half of the conference!), but between Basketball, Soccer, Lacrosse, and other sports - both men's and women's - it's difficult to find another school that consistantly wins national championships like UNC does!!!

Okay, climbing down from my soapbox...

09-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Welcome neighbor!

09-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Welcome to the forums Erle, Hope to see you in "Q-Talk"

09-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Welcome to the party!

09-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Bob S
09-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the Brethren! My daughter graduated from UNC in 2011. We loved visiting her at college. The Chapel Hill area is beautiful.