PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Weston, Mo

cntryblues
09-09-2013, 10:06 AM
This is my first time venture into the BBQ World.

I have enjoyed looking through the proverbial window for a little while.

I am in the search for my first pit. Only to find out there are a ton of folks out there building pits. How do you find what's right for you?
Sometimes you don't even know the right questions to ask, to gain the knowledge your seeking.. I guess there could be BOOKS written trying to answer just those ideas....

I am sure I will have many more questions than opinions, I appreciate any and all thoughts and advice... there are nuggets of wisdom everywhere.
you just have to dig them out... :thumb:

Anyway Hello from here is Weston, MO.

BMCSRET
09-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Welcome, I am a newbie to the site as well but have been on the Q for years and years. As far as what pit to get? That will depend on several things like how many you expect to cook for most of the time and how often. What is the budget? Gas or Coal? So many questions.

I've acquired a wide range of pits over the years and each has their own role. I have the little portable jobs for a quick day trip to the lake all the way up 24''x 48'' Pipe Smoker with integrated 24''x24''x36'' vertical smoker that I just ordered. The latter of course will be for larger get togethers and bulk smokes.

If you are truly new to BBQing I would start with a kettle (just my opinion). A kettle would give you a wide range of skills to learn. You can smoke on one, direct heat grill, indirect heat grill, add a water pan on the lower grate with coal on one side and pan on the other. They are very versatile and will get you acquainted with this wonderful life of BBQ while you decide where you want to take it next.

PaPaQ
09-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Welcome

LMAJ
09-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Welcome to the party!