PDA

View Full Version : Landing on same tables.

quarters69
09-08-2013, 03:41 PM
What are the standards on hitting the same table, with the same teams??
This past weekend, we hit different tables, but we actually ended up competing against the same team in each category and a few other ones were a couple times?? Any one know what the deal is?? Didn't think that was supposed to happen.

mobow
09-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Someone did not do there job if there was four or more tables.

quarters69
09-08-2013, 04:06 PM
34 teams. So 6 tables.

Slamdunkpro
09-08-2013, 04:06 PM
This past weekend, we hit different tables, but we actually ended up competing against the same team in each category and a few other ones were a couple times?? Any one know what the deal is?? Didn't think that was supposed to happen.
Your team isn't supposed to land on the same table twice but it's very possible for you to land on the same table as another team multiple times.

Uomograsso
09-08-2013, 04:13 PM
If this is KCBS, no team should land on the same table twice. As far as landing with the same team on different tables there is nothing wrong with that. Each entry is judged on it's own and is not compared against other entries. In almost all of the contest I have judged the boxes are grouped in the order they are turned in. First 6 on the first tray, second 6 on the next, etc. Table Captains keep track of box #'s that they have had and swap out any that their table has judged before. If the Reps did try to keep teams from landing on the same table again, it would almost impossible and require a lot of time to juggle the boxes around.

mobow
09-08-2013, 05:31 PM
What they said. I misread the question. Keith

Coz
09-08-2013, 06:11 PM
We hit the same tables as 1 other team all 4 times this weekend .I don't know how they could do any thing different with out spending more time then any of us want our boxes to sit.

Capn Kev
09-08-2013, 06:50 PM

This happens quite frequently. You're not supposed to hit the same table twice, so, if you are at a comp with only 4-5 tables, odds are that you're going to compete against many of the same 5 teams you did on your chicken entry. I think it's more evident now because of the new scoring system. So... if you think there's a "tough" team coming up at the same time you're turning in chicken, then wait a minute or two to get on a different tray ;)

Rookie'48
09-08-2013, 06:52 PM
We hit the same tables as 1 other team all 4 times this weekend .I don't know how they could do any thing different with out spending more time then any of us want our boxes to sit.

And that, right there, is the point. Sometimes it's tough enough to make sure that you don't hit the same table twice, especially at a 4 or 5 table contest. To make sure that you didn't hit with the same team would take a LOT longer.

CBQ
09-08-2013, 09:26 PM
And that, right there, is the point. Sometimes it's tough enough to make sure that you don't hit the same table twice, especially at a 4 or 5 table contest. To make sure that you didn't hit with the same team would take a LOT longer.

Might not even be possible in a smaller contest.

As I understand it, boxes pretty much go in the turn in order for the early categories, but are more likely to get swapped around (due to the next to avoid hitting same table) later in the contest. Some reps due randomize the turn in order too...but I think that depends on how much help they have to handle all the boxes. It's not a KCBS mandate for them to do that.

jeffturnerjr
09-08-2013, 10:41 PM
This may sound weird... Is there a certain strategy with turn ins and getting into a "certain" table?

Rookie'48
09-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Might not even be possible in a smaller contest.

As I understand it, boxes pretty much go in the turn in order for the early categories, but are more likely to get swapped around (due to the next to avoid hitting same table) later in the contest. Some reps due randomize the turn in order too...but I think that depends on how much help they have to handle all the boxes. It's not a KCBS mandate for them to do that.

The Reps at a KCBS contest will do everything possible to make sure that you don't hit the same table twice. Obviously that can't be done with less than four tables. At a larger contest it's easy to do.

This may sound weird... Is there a certain strategy with turn ins and getting into a "certain" table?

Nope. There's just no way to figure out where your box is going. And really, you shouldn't even try. (Double blind mod) :clap2:

mobow
09-09-2013, 07:42 AM

If I saw Pellet Envy or TrueBud or a handful of other teams turning in I would try and get on the same tray as them. The same table judging their product and mine would tell me alot. Keith

New Pal Frank
09-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I am more concerned that I don't land on the same table twice. The Reps in our area work very hard to see to it that this doesn't happen. I have seen this first hand being a MCBJ and working the renumbering table with them.
If I landed on the same table with top notch teams more then once, then so be it.The judges are supposed to judge an entry on its own merit, not to another entry.
BTW, I was getting ready to come visit you after awards and walked around the camper only to see you pull out.
See you soon.

Scottie
09-09-2013, 11:42 AM
It has happened way more than it should since July when these sheets came out for the contests I have cooked. While ultimately it falls on the reps. In reality it is the table captains not doing their jobs properly. If they aren't doing it properly, then it falls on the reps. So ultimately it is not a good thing for KCBS when this reflects negatively on the reps... that is my opinion. There have been enough issues with reps that have been swept under the rug the last few years. I really do not think this should just be another 'oh well' moment.. again, my opinion.

FWIW I like the additional stats. Im not fan of the same table judging...

Gowan
09-09-2013, 11:53 AM
I think many of you are misreading the original post.

He's not complaining about being on the same judging table more than once, he's talking about being on the same table as ANOTHER TEAM. There is no attempt by KCBS Reps to prevent this from happening, and as others have said, it is inevitable in all but the largest events.