PDA

View Full Version : Smart Chicken

cbenney
09-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Hey all - Went to order my chicken thighs today for an upcoming contest and it seems like "Smart Chicken" does not just sell thighs anymore... Is this true? Am I losing it??

Chris

cpw
09-05-2013, 06:40 PM
I just checked out of curiosity. Seems you can only buy bundles online anymore. Must have been too many competitors only buying thighs.

cbenney
09-05-2013, 06:45 PM
bummer.... I have always bought my chicken through them... I wonder if there are any other companies that sell thighs that are as good as they were in quality...

cpw
09-05-2013, 07:18 PM
I've never actually tried Smart chicken, but I do know that Publix greenwise chicken is air chilled and has a lot less fat than regular chicken. Maybe check out the grocery stores in your area for the "organic" stuff.

nucornhusker
09-05-2013, 07:30 PM
We always have them around here. I'll have to check now.

Fat Freddy
09-05-2013, 08:07 PM
I cant and wont speak for everywhere, I will only say what happened to me around here. I went to order Smart Chicken from their website and they no longer sold JUST thighs. The website was different as well. I didnt think to much about it then the next day I got an ad from HyVee, a local grocery store in the midwest that carries smart chicken, the ad was for HyVee now having their own airchilled, issue is they dont have bone in skin on thighs of course. After reading the ad i again tried to order online smart chicken same issues as night before so I did internet research. Seems the company sold or something changed, comments on their facebook page say company sold, anyways the company is no longer Smart Chicken but is now Tecumsah Smart Chicken.

Ok so I talked to the HyVee in Storm Lake Iowa and talked to 3 different people in meat dept and was told that Hyvee is going away from SC and to their own brand. I passed the info to a fellow competitor that orders SC from HyVee. He went into the same store and was told they dont know anything but as far as they know they can still get it. He passed info to me so I called an entire different HyVee an hour away in Spencer Iowa. Was told by that store that Hyvee is going away from SC...So I went back to the website to find other stores in the area that sold SC and there is a smaller chain grocery store up here, Foodpride, that the website said carried it. So I went to the closest store and they did not have smart chicken, they had amish chicken, so I asked the store manager and meat manager what was the story and was told that they(Foodpride) was having real issues with all the SC changes so they as a company chose to go in a different direction. I told my buddy this but he still was able to order a case of SC from Hyvee a week later.

Sorry about writing a book, but I wanted to explain all the confusion regarding SC up here. Again my buddy was still able to order his case so apparently it can be bought, but there are stores having issues.

ShencoSmoke
09-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Springer mountain farms, you can order from their website

Theresa B
09-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Bell & Evans is very good air chilled, organic chicken. I get mine at Whole Foods. The thighs are on the small side so I am able to put 8 in a box. Took first in Chicken my first comp.

luckyduk
09-05-2013, 09:33 PM
I have had the same issues with smart chicken....tried to order this week and I even talked to people at smart chicken and they just referred me to a business that buys it by the case....they stated that they quit doing that because of freights costs.....whatever

Curling Q
09-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Just got a case of SC thighs from Hy Vee last week no issues, but have noticed the Hy Vee air chilled brand in store, asked if it was comparible to SC and could not get a straight answer, might have just been the meat counter person I was talking too.

big brother smoke
09-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Try finding a natural grocer and talk to the butcher. I found mine through the smart chicken website.

do0d
09-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Bell & Evans is very good air chilled, organic chicken. I get mine at Whole Foods. The thighs are on the small side so I am able to put 8 in a box. Took first in Chicken my first comp.

These can definitely be on the small side, but I like them too.

Pappy Q
09-06-2013, 04:13 AM
Not surprising after an issue I had with them this year. My thighs came and were WARM...67 degree internal temp, only 2 cold packs in order of 24. When I called them their response was it happens. No apology. They said they would refund my money and I cancelled my next order when I was told it could happen again. But on when I got my cc statement, they still charged me for the order that was cancelled and not delivered.

cpw
09-06-2013, 07:25 AM

We just got a whole foods down here. I might have to check out the Bell and Evans there.

K-Train
09-06-2013, 09:13 AM
D'Atragnan has thighs. Not on their site though, you have to call to order them. They are pretty good, I've had god results with them.