PDA

View Full Version : Chicken in comp's after the bird flu

Yakfishingfool
04-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone. As you know I'm a new judge but also a medical professional and was wondering if there is any scuttle butt about the use of chicken in the competition arena after the bird flu hits.

My hospital has taken a census of all the employees and their families for immunization after the first arrival. This is going to be a serious thing, the possibility of mass 2 week isolations of whole parts of the country is a real possibility. It will happen this year, the infection of the US, unsure how many and where will be affected.

the reason the virus is so virulent is that it is a virus. Bacteria reproduce by bringing their own house (cell) with them. viruses inhabit a host and use the host cells to mutate. When it passes on to the next person and then reinfects the orginal host, the body doesnt recognize it because it's in the new host cell, and thus differnt than originally seen. Also the virus is able to mutate the cells aggressivley. Think AIDS. Tough to treat

So, we know that taking chicken past 165 should, and I repeat should, render the chicken safe to eat. Last chicken I had was...uhhhh....165???? Not sure I'm ready to take that chance. What say all of you? Scott

Sawdustguy
04-07-2006, 08:21 PM
I have heard that the KCBS is considering pulling chicken from the four required meats and adding sausage once the Bird Flu shows up.

Pork Avenue BBQ
04-07-2006, 08:55 PM
That will solve the chicken skin problem , does anyone have a good sausage injection to share
Allways planning
Walt

Yakfishingfool
04-07-2006, 10:03 PM
man, sausage coud be really great. Hows about fish maybe?

Jeff_in_KC
04-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Do we REALLY know for sure this will be as bad as the Doomsday people out there are telling us? I mean seriously... what are the odds things get as bad as Scott mentioned? I'm not saying Yak is one of the Doomsday folks... just that the "experts" you see on the news and read about in the paper are preaching a lot of doom and gloom lately.

I guess for me, I'll stock up on chicken now every chance I get... just in case.

But I think KCBS should switch to squirrel instead of sausage. :lol:

Hawgsnheifers
04-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Ohh yumm. Rocky on a stick. What a carnival treat...

Jeff_in_KC
04-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Todd, the dude in your avatar looks like the perfect guy to judge the squirrel category! :lol:

Hawgsnheifers
04-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Todd, the dude in your avatar looks like the perfect guy to judge the squirrel category! :lol:

Bro. Where's the love? That's me at our last family reunion. I lost my teeth in the mud pit, but we found them a little later in my Aunt Sharonjean's bra. :icon_smil

kcquer
04-07-2006, 11:26 PM
my Aunt Sharonjean

So you're Roy D's nephew, well knock a pop knot on my head big enough to tie off a boat anchor!!

Hawgsnheifers
04-07-2006, 11:32 PM
How big a ole boy are ya?

Jeff_in_KC
04-07-2006, 11:59 PM
On second thought, sausage could be cool! Fatties go nation wide?! Can you imagine turning in an armadillo egg as a KCBS category entry? :wink:

Yakfishingfool
04-08-2006, 07:08 AM
It's not a doomsady scenario. I too thik everything the media get's it;s hands on get's way overplayed. However, this probably will show up this year. what hppened when mad cow disease reared it;s head? this may be a bit worse. I was simply asking if, as a judge, that pinkish chicen rolls through. How fast are you going to down it? the reason this country has done so well with so many illness's is that we believe, typically, in hygeine and have laws to protect us.

want to see what ahppen when the that fails. go read about whooping cough and it's major resurgence. Scott

Sawdustguy
04-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Do we REALLY know for sure this will be as bad as the Doomsday people out there are telling us? I mean seriously... what are the odds things get as bad as Scott mentioned? I'm not saying Yak is one of the Doomsday folks... just that the "experts" you see on the news and read about in the paper are preaching a lot of doom and gloom lately.

I guess for me, I'll stock up on chicken now every chance I get... just in case.

But I think KCBS should switch to squirrel instead of sausage. :lol:

Jeff,

It's a virus. You can't take a antibiotic for a virus. If I am not mistaken you must be vaccinated to prevent a virus. I heard that this virus mutates so a vaccination is hard to find. It is serious but not the end of the world as we know it.

kcquer
04-08-2006, 10:20 AM
The KCBS taking some time away from the boiled in sauce then grilled thigh catagory would be nothing but a good thing, at least sausage would be Q'd and not grilled.
Now, if they'd just get rid of that nasty pork shoulder catagory, there would be reason to be excited about doing a contest.

Yakfishingfool
04-08-2006, 01:08 PM
SDG, you're right, it is a virus. A vaccination woul dbe required but it would not account for mutation. While I don;t think we would ever see, in this country at least, the 50% kill rate, it could happen easily in underserved areas. A new plague. Would help population spikes. 50-100 million less people....hmmmm.......S

FatDaddy
04-08-2006, 01:25 PM
i personally dont think it will be as bad as the media plays it out to be. i was watching the news the other day, and they were talking about the arsenic levels in chicken, and trying to get everyone worried that they maybe taking in dangerous lvls of arsenic by eating chicken. I just wish for once the news would show something about the good people are doing or medical breakthroughs, not stuff to try to scare the crap out of people and make em scared to leave the house. Farmers use the arsonic to prevent some diseases in chickens and it is well with the lvls that are harmless to humans. We as humans take in arsenic in a variety of different foods, chicken be the primary one, but it is not in the lvls they made it out to be on tv. They stated that by us eating more chicken now then we did in the 70s when the DRI was approved that we are injesting more thand double the limit. I havent died yet.. and i eat chicken almost 7 days a week.
Bring on the Chicken!!!

Rockaway BeachBQ
04-08-2006, 01:34 PM
The US poultry industry is already feeling the effects of this hysteria. I sure hope the KCBS does not add to the madness by pulling chicken. Why not pull sausage and Brisket because of Mad Cow and Pork because of trychinosis. As for judging raw chicken take a nibble off the corner and score it low.

This is the link to the BBC Bird Flu FAQ
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3422839.stm

Sawdustguy
04-08-2006, 05:24 PM
The US poultry industry is already feeling the effects of this hysteria. I sure hope the KCBS does not add to the madness by pulling chicken. Why not pull sausage and Brisket because of Mad Cow and Pork because of trychinosis. As for judging raw chicken take a nibble off the corner and score it low.

This is the link to the BBC Bird Flu FAQ
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3422839.stm

I for one would welcome the pulling the pulling of chicken. One, I would not want to gamble with my life, despite what the so called experts say. Two, Chicken has always been more of a grilled entry not BBQed. I would welcome sausage as an entry because it is a true BBQed food. If you have to have chicken, leave it for the grilling contests. This is my humble opinion and is open for debate.

rookiedad
04-08-2006, 09:31 PM
i might be wrong but i spoke to a few of my costomers who are doctors who said that the dangerous mutation that would bring bird flu to epidemic proportions among humans has not happened yet and may never happen. even though bird flu will get here within the year, i am not sure that it will affect domestic poultry in this country the way it has affected those of other countrys. i think that there has to be some comingling of wild and domestic birds in order for the carriers to give it to the domestics. i don't think the major chicken suppliers would ever let that happen, especially now. also, chickens are killed way quicker here than in other countrys(where outbreaks have happened) drasticly cutting down the probability of production chickens being infected. personally, i am more concerned about mad cow disease as statistics show that many more people may have been exposed to the dangerous prions than previously anticapated. let me know what you all think.
phil

Yakfishingfool
04-08-2006, 09:54 PM
a nibble off the corner and score it low.

LMAO!!!! too funny, If it's raw, it goes to the table judge and get's 1's.

Agree with the thought that chicken is much happier with the grill rather than the smoker. Sausage could/would be wonderful.