PDA

View Full Version : Food truck/trailer. Handling hot coals

Chubbs
08-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Hi there, I'm thinking about building a bbq business out of a concession trailer to offer the good people of New Zealand low and slow bbq straight from the smoker and over the coals. Outside of complying with local fire/health department regulations, when it is time to pack up and move on, what are the practical steps you can take to putting out the fire in your smoker/pit/grill while out and about at an event or kerb side. And what do you do with the ash, left over charcoal?

landarc
08-30-2013, 09:43 PM
The problem with coals, is that short of drowning them, they can relight. I would consider storing them in a tightly sealed steel container. And I would think having that steel container outside of your vehicle is a good idea. To be honest, I have never done a vend or cook, there I had to take the coals with me.

Pyle's BBQ
08-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Most smokers on mobile kitchens are outside on a porch. The smoker that you would have inside are electric, gas or pellet smoker. If you want to have the safest way to go get a pellet smoker.

Chubbs
09-01-2013, 01:48 AM
I've seen a couple backwoods inside enclosed trailers during my google trawling with chimneys up through the roof or under extractors. But I do agree it looks a lot safer working from a deck or ramp, even for lighting starter chimneys.
In New Zealand we don't really have a daily food truck scene and do not operate out of commissaries. So I'd like to include everything I need for prep and cooking on board the trailer to avoid the high price of renting or establishing an offsite registered kitchen. And I want to stay true to the charcoal experience of cooking - but safety and practicality first!