PDA

View Full Version : Finally joined from Columbia, S.C. HELP PLEASE!

Kaoutik5
08-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Hello everyone, I stumbled upon this forum two years ago while searching for info on how to use my charbroil offset smoker that I had just purchased. I grew up que'n whole hog, chicken, turkey, etc. with my late grandad on his homemade pits, using only oak wood as fuel, The Best Que I've eaten til this day, I might add. Since then I have falling in LUV with smoking and share the same passions as u guys, and my lovely wife has noticed. She's giving me $2000 for the Big 'Ol upgrade, she loves Big Daddy's Que :), and someday I plan on competing. I've read all the threads on choosing a new smoker, but I just can't decide, so please help!!! 1. I drive an SUV, can't decide whether to get a patio model or a pull behind. 2. Really want the Lang 48, BUT the custom pit /hbt welders/greasyhill gangs has that hybrid type that's more for the buck. Sorry so long but I really need HELP!!!

bluetang
08-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

PaPaQ
08-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Welcome, that lang 60 is a pretty good smoker.

Ron_L
08-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Welocme to the asylum!

You may want to post your question about smokers in Q-Talk. More folks will see it there.

LMAJ
08-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the party!

dwfisk
08-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Welcome from north Florida. Make sure you research and actually cook on that custompits/htbwelding/greasyhill very carefully.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168551
I beleive CustomPits may have corrected earlier issues with the pit. I saw a new one a week or so ago in Fernandina and it was putting out some good Q but the pitmaster was still struggling with the how high the firebox is positioned on the cook chamber, just be careful before you make the investment.

Kaoutik5
08-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Hey Dave thinks for the feedback, but what issues was the high firebox causing him?

Kaoutik5
08-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys

ChiefBrock
08-30-2013, 07:36 PM
welcome from the Lowcountry... check out Meadow Creek...I was going to get a offset but ended up with a PR42 because I like to do whole hogs at least once or twice a year....and getting an offset large enough was easily twice the money. I have been able to cook ribs, pork shoulders, buttes, brisket, wings, tenderloins, chicken, etc....

Got mine from a guy up in NC...let me know if you want to give him a call and see what he has on hand. I was able to get one of his competition rigs from last year (PR42) for a pretty good price and it looked nearly new still.

Good luck and hope to see you around.

dwfisk
08-31-2013, 07:03 AM
Hey Dave thinks for the feedback, but what issues was the high firebox causing him?

I did not look to see, but apparently the firebox sets high on the cylindrical cooking chamber, but the cut out and RF baffel are lower creating a dead space in the top of the firebox, I think he said it was 8 inches. By contrast, mine and most I'm familiar with the top of the firebox and RF baffle joint the cook chamber abot 6" from the bottom of the cook chamber. He made it sound like fire management was a pain, but I gotta say he was doing something right, his Q was great.

HAndyman
08-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Welcome from CA, Kaoutik5. And good luck with the up-grade.

Ditto what Ron L said about posting in the Q-talk section.