PDA

View Full Version : Half Chickens

chrisr
08-28-2013, 08:19 PM
I haven't smoked too many chickens but the competition I'm in next month has a category of half chicken. Do you guys cut them in half first before you put them on the smoker. Also how long does it usually take for these to cook? What size chicken should I get that will fit in a turn in box.

redneck cooker
08-28-2013, 09:22 PM
I haven't smoked too many chickens but the competition I'm in next month has a category of half chicken. Do you guys cut them in half first before you put them on the smoker. Also how long does it usually take for these to cook? What size chicken should I get that will fit in a turn in box.
I always cut in half before cooking......cutting one after cooking is very difficult and will be a disaster when finished......When I smoke chicken I give myself 2hrs at 300*......I try to cook a chicken between 4-4.75 lbs....Its a toss up here with half of the chicken cooks grilling at high heat...and the other half smoking their chicken....

FYI..Remember in all Texas BBQ comps...the tray's lid MUST close and stay closed or it will NOT be accepted by the Head Judge for judging..

CigarHerb
08-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Same here. Cut in half before you cook

dano
08-29-2013, 08:34 AM
+2 on cutting first

bruno994
08-29-2013, 09:11 AM
These guys got you covered pretty good. I cook chicken 2 different ways every cook off, 2 halves in my smoker at 250 for 3 hours and 2 halves on a mini UDS at 300 for around 1 hour and 45 minutes. Once they are done, I sample the worst looking half of each style, then turn in the best. Same size birds as redneck mentioned, around 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 pounds. Cut out the backbone, then split it down the middle of the breast.
Good luck.

chrisr
08-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys!!