PDA

View Full Version : Question about competition boxes

burntcritters
08-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Not being a competition BBQ'er i have a question.............

Does it state that the parsley/lettuce bed on the bottom must be fresh ??

cpw
08-28-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't think that it explicitly states that, but why would you want to have anything other than fresh garnish? Wouldn't "stale" garnish be brown and unattractive?

Lake Dogs
08-28-2013, 02:38 PM
The fresher, and the darker the green, without wilting the better.

That of course is for those sanctioning bodies and unsanctioned competitions that allow it... Many dont.

columbia1
08-28-2013, 03:48 PM
I imagine you could use dried parsley, but I have a feeling the judges would be a little upset after picking it off the bottom of the meat.

Lake Dogs
08-28-2013, 04:45 PM
I imagine you could use dried parsley, but I have a feeling the judges would be a little upset after picking it off the bottom of the meat.

Curious, in the vein of "judge it as it's presented", are you allowed to "pick it off"? I would imagine not, but then, there are a lot of exceptions to basic fundamental tenets.

bbq.tom
08-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Curious, in the vein of "judge it as it's presented", are you allowed to "pick it off"? I would imagine not, but then, there are a lot of exceptions to basic fundamental tenets.

GREAT point Hance!!! I never thought about it that way! In other words, if parsley sticks to the chicken/ribs/etc., DON'T PICK IT OFF, Apparently that is the way the cook team wants it to be judged. If they didn't want it judged, then they shouldn't put it in the box.

Joking obviously, but good point!

burntcritters
08-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Well, what I was thinking that could be a nitch in the synthetic field, like artificial grass, a perfectly colored arranged and sized to the comp box that looked just like real parsley., no muss no fuss just perfect and it won't stick to the food.

Big Mike
08-28-2013, 06:32 PM
For KCBS, the rules only state that Garnish is optional and then states what type of garnish is acceptable. Fake parsley would get a team disqualified as being a foreign object.

Teamfour
08-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Anything synthetic would be considered a foreign object and probably get you DQ'd.

burntcritters
08-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Oh well, just a thought.

NRA4Life
08-28-2013, 07:14 PM
If you could find a way to genetically engineer parsley to grow like sod on a sod farm where it grows 1 inch high and dense like a golf course putting green, and you could cut 9x9" squares, you'd be in the money.

Smokedelic
08-28-2013, 09:07 PM
I would hope one of the basic fundamental tenets is common sense.

early mornin' smokin'
08-29-2013, 09:16 AM
if garnish is optional, KCBS should just pre build the boxes with a piece of padded up astroturf, level the playing field

cpw
08-29-2013, 09:17 AM
If you could find a way to genetically engineer parsley to grow like sod on a sod farm where it grows 1 inch high and dense like a golf course putting green, and you could cut 9x9" squares, you'd be in the money.

I'd be all about GMO parsley! I was talking with teammates about this exact thing the last time I worked on parsley for a turn in box.

akoda
08-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Doesn't fresh parsley still stick to the bottom of things? It my practice box it did.

John Bowen
08-29-2013, 12:37 PM

Like a "Chia" parsley to grow in a 9x9 format! Copy right John Bowen 8/29/2013:-o

columbia1
08-29-2013, 03:59 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-Rare-Seeds-Green-Leaf-Parsley-Paramount-Organic-Russian-Heirloom-Herb-Seed-/360588445023#vi-content
Wow, check out these parsley seeds, I love the petite dark green leaves of this parsley.

Big Mike
08-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Doesn't fresh parsley still stick to the bottom of things? It my practice box it did.

Depends on how you build your box. I have found that if you leave the stems long enough and build it tight enough, it does not stick to the meat.

accuseal
08-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Many of us spend an inordinate amount of time arranging parsley.

NRA4Life
08-29-2013, 08:00 PM
I'd be all about GMO parsley! I was talking with teammates about this exact thing the last time I worked on parsley for a turn in box.

Yep, I've been thinking about it for a couple years, every farking time I build a box.

bbq.tom
08-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Many of us spend an inordinate amount of time arranging parsley.

And many judges spend an inordinate amount of time picking parsley off the entry before taking our bites. The more sticky the sauce the harder it is to get parsley off too!

Lake Dogs
08-30-2013, 02:22 PM
I would hope one of the basic fundamental tenets is common sense.

One would think yes. BUUUUUT. We're taught in every single sanctioning body, including those outside BBQ but in other foods, to judge the entry as presented. That as a judge you should and must sample it as presented.

What if a judge does take it upon him/her self to judge it with the parsley attached, and what if they happen to find said parsley distasteful...

I just think it's peculiar that we allow it in there but are told not to judge appearance on it, yet the human eye just cannot remove it from the picture...

Funny, in other sanctioning bodies, we're taught that if they lay down a bed of pulled meat, or chopped meat, and then the other "main" meat on top, we're to judge it all.