PDA

View Full Version : Heya from Thailand

PullMyPenang
08-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Hey folks! Glad to find this awesome forum.

I'm a Californian currently relaxing in Thailand and while I do love the food here one of the few things I really miss is good BBQ.

So I have decided to take matters into my own, and some hired, hands and get me a UDS built.

However since I have no workshop here, and no tools, I'll be using the services of one of the plentiful local 'shadetree' metal shops to assist me in this project.

With my ever expanding, but still limited, command of the Thai language and some printouts from the internet, I don't doubt I can get this project done, but it should prove to be an adventure.

Anywho, I'll be sponging up knowledge and eventually start a thread in the appropriate spot to ask specific questions and eventually share pics of my endeavors, and eventual edibles.

Thanks in advance everyone! :clap2:

PaPaQ
08-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Sfels
08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Hey folks! Glad to find this awesome forum.

I'm a Californian currently relaxing in Thailand and while I do love the food here one of the few things I really miss is good BBQ.

So I have decided to take matters into my own, and some hired, hands and get me a UDS built.

However since I have no workshop here, and no tools, I'll be using the services of one of the plentiful local 'shadetree' metal shops to assist me in this project.

With my ever expanding, but still limited, command of the Thai language and some printouts from the internet, I don't doubt I can get this project done, but it should prove to be an adventure.

Anywho, I'll be sponging up knowledge and eventually start a thread in the appropriate spot to ask specific questions and eventually share pics of my endeavors, and eventual edibles.

Thanks in advance everyone! :clap2:

I spent a year at Udorn in the early '70s courtesy of my Uncle Sam. Beautiful country! Beautiful and warm people!

bluetang
08-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

PullMyPenang
08-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Thanks Folks!

Sfels I think Udorn is the Udon Thani airport these days. It is a nice area, a good friend of mine here is moving there next month, I may follow him that direction later, but I have spent too much of my life near the coast, I think I'd miss it. Currently I'm living outside of Pattaya, AKA crazy town.

HAndyman
08-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Welcome PullMyPenang

LMAJ
08-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the party!

Big George's BBQ
08-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Welcome

PullMyPenang
08-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the welcoming words.

I am about 2100 posts into the monster UDS thread learning a lot, taking notes and filing pics away as I go.

I think I have a line on a drum. There is a boat building shop in town that gets it's fiberglass epoxy in big removable top barrels, the epoxy is in a plastic bladder inside the barrel.

Question is if these barrels are already spoken for, stuff like that does not just lay around here.

PullMyPenang
08-30-2013, 11:10 AM
One question... Is there a recipe section or is it part of the general q-talk forum?

PullMyPenang
09-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Figured this is a good place to test my photo posting skills before I get too far along a wrong road...

This should be a pic of a spit roasted split pig...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/cappmonkey/Cooking%20with%20fire%20in%20Thailand/CWFIT17.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cappmonkey/media/Cooking%20with%20fire%20in%20Thailand/CWFIT17.jpg.html)

Edit: Huzzah!