PDA

View Full Version : Rib pull back

MikeJ65
08-25-2013, 06:48 PM
On my comp St. Louis ribs, I never seem to get consistent pull back. Some will have 1/4" or more and some will have the meat even with the bone. My main issue is that it is one more thing to try to match up for my box.

Any suggestions, or does everyone just live with it.

Southern Home Boy
08-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Interesting... I've never run into that myself. Might have to do with consistency of the thickness of the meat over the bones on the racks you're cooking. When the cutter trimmed the loin off the bone, it may not have been trimmed uniformly over each of the bones. I know that's why some racks have shiners. Maybe that's the issue? Or at least part of it? Sorry. Not sure.:sad:

Big Mike
08-25-2013, 07:07 PM
I think Southern Home Boy is right. Try to find racks that are comparable to each other. While you don't want shiners, you don't want them too thick either.

That being said, if the tenderness is there, it really shouldn't matter. If you layer them in the box like most folks do, you won't see if there is pullback on the bottom layer anyways.

MikeJ65
08-25-2013, 08:00 PM
I have been cooking individually packed St. Louis that are pretty closely matched in weight (3.2-3.4 lbs/rack). The variation I see is more rack to rack or one end of the rack to the other.

CivilWarBBQ
08-26-2013, 05:46 AM
I wouldn't sweat it. I've been judging KCBS for eight years, and I've never heard a judge mention the amount of bone showing on a rib entry as something they noticed in scoring presentation.

Focus on tenderness of the meat, not exposure of the bones.

BurntFinger_Jason
08-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Inconsistent heat in your cooker can cause that too.

Rub
09-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Swamp Boys Q School has the answer :thumb:

rolfejr
09-10-2013, 11:46 AM

Yes they do!
And I'll never tell!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-10-2013, 02:20 PM
on one of the current bbq pitmasters programs one team shows how he does it.

Hawg Father of Seoul
09-10-2013, 03:01 PM

That is pretty much the opposite of helping him.

TooSaucedToPork
09-10-2013, 03:46 PM
No doubt...I hate taunting "secret" bs

I do it by creating a pocket of foil that is just on the bones. It will steam just that portion of the rib and cause pullback. Use a light liquid like apple juice.

Anyone else wanna give their method...

CivilWarBBQ
09-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Fair enough. You've been called out Rub!

But again to emphasize my initial response - the amount of rib bone showing doesn't really matter to judges, at least in KCBS contests. With so many other things to deal with that DO matter, why worry about this at all?

Bubba
09-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Make sure the ribs are trimmed to where the bones are round not oblong. Then take a knife and go around the bone about 3/8ths deep.

Rub
09-10-2013, 04:31 PM
That is pretty much the opposite of helping him.
No the opposite of helping him would be giving mis-information. I said exactly where the info could be found.

And TooSaucedToPork it's not "taunting secret bs." I've given probably more information in person or at contests to friends, new teams, and strangers than 99% of the teams out there. It's unfortunate you feel I'm being mean.

Eggspert
09-10-2013, 04:38 PM
I disagree that judges don't look at pull back on ribs. I know for a fact that judges in our area look for anything wrong with ribs to mark down appearance scores, ribs not cut straight (because bones are not straight), uneven pull back on the ribs, too much pull back, too little pull back. It is all under the close attention of the nit picky judge. Trust me, EVERYTHING matters!

Eggspert

Hawg Father of Seoul
09-10-2013, 04:48 PM
No the opposite of helping him would be giving mis-information. I said exactly where the info could be found.

And TooSaucedToPork it's not "taunting secret bs." I've given probably more information in person or at contests to friends, new teams, and strangers than 99% of the teams out there. It's unfortunate you feel I'm being mean.

99% , I stand corrected.

My opinion must be biased by meeting you at a contest.

MikeJ65
09-10-2013, 04:49 PM
But again to emphasize my initial response - the amount of rib bone showing doesn't really matter to judges, at least in KCBS contests. With so many other things to deal with that DO matter, why worry about this at all?

I really don't care if I have pullback or not, I would just like for it to be consistent. I don't like having a couple of bones with a lot of pullback next to some that have none. I have to believe that this costs me appearance points.

TooSaucedToPork
09-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Not being mean...took the opportunity to advertise your class, and the what you will learn there, rather than answer his question. Not mean, just self promotion ;-)

I'm glad you give BBQ advice freely, that is rare nowadays. No offense meant.
Don't mind me, I'm just jaded because when I started in comp BBQ 20 years ago, advice was given free amongst bbqers...Our team still lives by that mantra.

Rich Parker
09-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Pull back on a rib bone doesn't mean anything. Scoring something like that down is idiotic.

TooSaucedToPork
09-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Pull back on a rib bone doesn't mean anything. Scoring something like that down is idiotic.

But judges do it...I've sat next to one that scored it a 7...it was prettier than most of the ribs I have cooked. His reason...it's not correctly cooked because the meat did not recess from the bone.

It was perfect, I gave it a nine.

CivilWarBBQ
09-10-2013, 05:23 PM
But judges do it...I've sat next to one that scored it a 7...it was prettier than most of the ribs I have cooked. His reason...it's not correctly cooked because the meat did not recess from the bone.

It was perfect, I gave it a nine.

That is terrible!

I've heard some strange things at the judging tables, but never that. Thank the BBQ gods that bit of misjudging hasn't made it down South!

I do appreciate the feedback though. One of the things I do when I judge is make the effort to gently correct other CBJs when they do something like this. Most are receptive to the idea of constructive criticism. Those that aren't.... well, they don't judge at any contest I run.

TooSaucedToPork
09-10-2013, 06:22 PM
It was down South brother...haha.

fnbish
09-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Rub your techniques struck again as we had a very nice rib call a few weeks back at Pigs & Peaches. It was a smithfield ribs series too so it paid off even more :becky:.

But to the OP I think they look just as good pulled back vs not. I wouldn't worry about it like others have said.

sdbbq1234
09-10-2013, 06:32 PM

Yes, I agree. He has many little tricks and tips that are just common sense, but never applied or even considered on your own.

I must say, his ribs had the perfect "pull back".

wallace

Bbq Bubba
09-10-2013, 07:17 PM
I disagree that judges don't look at pull back on ribs. I know for a fact that judges in our area look for anything wrong with ribs to mark down appearance scores, ribs not cut straight (because bones are not straight), uneven pull back on the ribs, too much pull back, too little pull back. It is all under the close attention of the nit picky judge. Trust me, EVERYTHING matters!

Eggspert

Remind me to never cook in Minnesota.

sdbbq1234
09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
As far as the overall appearance scoring of ribs and considerations if the have the "pull back" or not, I think it just looks better.

wallace

CivilWarBBQ
09-10-2013, 08:20 PM
It was down South brother...haha.

Where?

columbia1
09-10-2013, 08:56 PM
My two best finishes with ribs(both 1sts) had more pull-back back than normal. Dont sweat it.

landarc
09-10-2013, 09:03 PM
I think the whole bone thing, both about straight bones and pull back is ridiculous, but, I think a lot of judges do look for it. My answer is to cook more racks, 5 or 6 and pick the ones that look the best.

TooSaucedToPork
09-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Where?

Tennessee

ViciousGame
09-10-2013, 10:19 PM
I've heard that some teams actually put a gloved finger in between the bones and pushed the meat back themselves prior to foiling. This way all the bones have the same amount of pullback. I tried this on my last practice cook and it did work.

jeffturnerjr
09-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. I've been judging KCBS for eight years, and I've never heard a judge mention the amount of bone showing on a rib entry as something they noticed in scoring presentation.

Focus on tenderness of the meat, not exposure of the bones.

I was really thinking the same thing... I don't think this is or has ever been an issue.

RobKC
09-11-2013, 08:14 AM
I would never score down on appearance for no pullback, but it might make the difference if there was nice pullback and I was having a hard time deciding between an 8 or 9.

Diesel Dave
09-12-2013, 05:52 AM
I have followed this thread closely.
And I usually don't have much if any pull back on my ribs.
But I noticed in the Rib TD that the top three members/votes have a good pull back on their ribs. I think it is a matter of how good it looks, and the pull back adds to the appearance of the ribs. Looks good = mind saying it tastes good for sure.
Just my humble opinion.

BigBellyBBQ
09-12-2013, 07:12 AM
I was really thinking the same thing... I don't think this is or has ever been an issue.
when you loose a GC or a RGC by tenths of a point it ALL matters...