PDA

View Full Version : maurice piggy park Columbia SC

coastal
08-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Stopped there a couple years ago and like it but didn't love it.

Stopped their last Monday passing through on the start of a long business trip. Stopped there again today(different location). On the way back through today

I give it a 9 of 10

The meat is a smoked well with great flavor. Their famous SC mustard based BBQ sauce is a strong mustard flavor even more so than other sc mustard sauces. It is a bit of a shock to the taste buds at first but by the third bite you will be craving it. (I purchased a few bottles to take home)

Chicken was incredible. Heavy clean smoke flavor cooked perfectly and moist

Brisket was thick chucks and pull and was as good as I have had in SC.

Pork was A+ both times and goes so perfectly with the sauce

Ribs was the only negative as they were undercooked..but I only got them today and it was only 2 bones as a side to a combo meal at 11am so I will give them the benefit of the doubt they normally are cooked properly

They also make a pork hash they serve over rice as a side..really great stuff..I think that's my next recipes to learn

They have several locations around Columbia and a couple other town. I went to the original Monday in west Columbia and the one on two notch Columbia today

I see it has up and Down reviews. I would attribute that to people being culture chocked about the sauce and the joint atmosphere. (Although it is a dated joint type of place it was by no means dirty..clean with a helpful staff.. If you are expecting a white table cloth at BBQ I don't know what to tell you)

Can't wait to go again next time I go through the area

ChiefBrock
08-27-2013, 05:36 PM
I grew up here in Charleston and do not like Maurices in Columbia....I much prefer the original Bessingers (called Piggy Park back in 60s) on Savannah Highway (Hwy 17S) run by Thomas Bessinger and his two sons Michael and Tommy.....or Melvins BBQ over on James Island.

Their sauce is different than Maurice and their onion rings are far far better than those at Maurices....

Most are not familiar with mustard based sauce which is a german thing mostly in our upstate and midlands...but further you get towards NC you get either east NC vinager or more of the tomoatoe western area of NC and north Georgia.

Next time you come through Charleston will take you to lunch at one or the other here.....though same family...they are worlds apart on opinions and have grown apart on food as well other than sharing a name and similar mustard based sauces.

Just my opinion after growing up in Charleston and then also living in Sumter for a while and eating at them all.... Only one I never tried was the original Joe's Diner in Holly Hill I think where the founder started it all before his sons (Melvin, Maurice, Thomas, etc all spread out).

PatAttack
08-28-2013, 06:40 AM
I hear you on that one, CB. I think Maurice tried to get famous by getting a little too political. I have eaten at his restaurants and they must have been on bad days because I didn't care for it. That was a while back, though.

Melvin's has it's good days and bad days. Mr. Melvin recently passed away. The one on Savannah Hwy., run by Thomas and his son Michael has a killer Sunday buffet!! The lady they have running the buffet, Miss Betty, really knows how to cook! We usually get there around 11:30 am to beat the crowd.

ChiefBrock
08-30-2013, 08:33 PM
yeah she has been there for a long time....Michael just hired a new manager that ran another bbq joint for many years...and is reworking some recipies and just did his first beef brisket last week. I tasted a bit on Saturday and it was outstanding....

Never been to the Sunday and ashamed to say after growing up in Charleston never been to the buffet before until this year....hahahaha. Wife and I would go when we were dating while I was in college...big joe pork...i would eat sandwich and fries...she would eat the big sweet cake batter onion ring...share a drink and we were golden. :)

Good times...actually i like the bacon cheeseburger at melvins the best. :)