PDA

View Full Version : Left overs after a turn ins are done

akoda
08-22-2013, 01:42 PM
I will be doing my first comp soon and I want to know what will be expected of me after the turn in.

I will be cooking way more meat then I will turn in, besides the obvious of packing it up and taking it home, will organizers come and ask for some? judges? the public? Should I be prepared to give it away, I know I can't sell it and it is not my business so I am not looking for PR but I don't want to be rude either.

kenthanson
08-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Take it home, vac seal in one pound bags, have friends "sponsor" your team and in exchange for their "sponsorship" give them a gift of one pound of meat.

The Cosmic Pig
08-22-2013, 01:49 PM
You do whatever you want with it...unless they don't allow selling it. You're certainly not expected to give it away. I've done FBA comps that allow you to sell. Also, KCBS comps that allow you to vend and compete - not exactly sure about the rules, though.

BaggerBill
08-22-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm doing my first comp this weekend too, I told the guys helping me to bring containers to take meat home with them.

Ron_L
08-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Most comps around here don't allow samples. They have vendors on site and get a cut from their sales so they don't want to cut into that. In addition, most comp teams are not health department certified so there is a liability there.

NazBQ
08-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Keep in mind, if the comp is open to the public people will ask if your food is for sale. Some people will just linger around your cook site hoping you'll offer them some. :-)

Rub'n Wood BBQ
08-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Use it to help your recruit your friends and family to help clean and pack after the comp is over :wink: Tell them to show up right after turn ins and they can sample all of the "good" stuff.

Wampus
08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Yeah, we get lots of folks wander by and ask if we have BBQ to give away or sell and we always tell them no. It's touchy. Around here, like Ron said, unless you have a HD permit and inspection, you are not legally allowed to sell to the public.

I've seen teams just throw their leftovers into a full size pan or two and sit it out for grazers, but I won't do it. Too many food safety and legal potential issues.

I vacuum seal and take our stuff home. Lots of mouths to feed. We also do give some to our legitimate sponsor here and there as a "thanks".

akoda
08-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, kind of what I expected and I can easily enough use the HD as an excuse to not do it for the general public. I have some family and friends coming by and they will eat well but I'm not doing sides for them :) going to have enough to do

JD McGee
08-22-2013, 06:50 PM
If we can't sample it out to the public (charity events) we bring it home and sell it to our neighbors, friends, and co-workers at cost. A lot of times we give it away as thank you gifts to folks who help us out over the season. :cool:

rolfejr
08-22-2013, 06:53 PM
We donate ours to a local veterans organization. They pick it up on Sunday's and we always get a nice letter from the guys the following week.
Makes us feel good and really helps the guys who are less fortunate.

Smoke'n Ice
08-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Give it away, throw it away, or try to get friends or family to take it. After awhile, they won't. Find the volunteer coordinator and ask if they want some. I usually give/throw it away as it cannot go to a homeless shelter. What a shame.

K-Train
08-22-2013, 09:51 PM
We like to give ours to local food banks

GT-Q
08-22-2013, 10:20 PM
We divide them up between the team members and eat them. You have to do that when you are competing out of the grocery budget!