PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smokin at the Track - Shenandoah, VA Sept 20-21, 2013

Teamfour
08-20-2013, 11:44 AM
I know there was another thread with questions about this event but I wanted to start a new one to see who is competing.

Smokin-n-Style will be there for our second pro comp ever. We will be the ones with a little 5x8 Uhaul trailer. Stop by and say hello!

Theresa B
08-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Teamfour- we will be competing. Look forward to meeting you however, if I remember you were vending sauces last year?

Would you indulge me and bring your Grizzly Sausage Stuffer and meat grinder? I'd like to look at it as I'm looking for some sort of stuffer. I've tried my Kitchen Aid Pro 600 and it still struggles.

sdbbq1234
08-20-2013, 05:38 PM
We had plans on making this event, but, it is not going to work out.

Best of luck to everyone!

wallace

Teamfour
08-20-2013, 06:42 PM
We had plans on making this event, but, it is not going to work out.

Best of luck to everyone!

wallace

Thats a drag. But maybe a have a shot in brisket now.

Teamfour- we will be competing. Look forward to meeting you however, if I remember you were vending sauces last year?

Would you indulge me and bring your Grizzly Sausage Stuffer and meat grinder? I'd like to look at it as I'm looking for some sort of stuffer. I've tried my Kitchen Aid Pro 600 and it still struggles.

Nope I don't sell sauce. Never been to this event. Remind me via PM a few days before comp to bring sausage stuff. I will also bring some andouille to sample.

Theresa B
08-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Teamfore (what is your name?) My apologies...I thought I remembered seeing your Smokin-N-Style logo last year. This will be our first time cooking here, we judged last year.

Would love to sample some Andouille!

Teamfour
08-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Teamfore (what is your name?)

Lee Tilton. There is a Smoking in Style team but not sure where they compete.

sdbbq1234
08-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Thats a drag. But maybe a have a shot in brisket now.

Heck, when I get in the top 3 in ANY category, CONSISTENTLY, then I might be a worry to somebody. Although the brisket did taste really dog-gone good yesterday.....

To be honest, I could have sworn our brisket would not even get in the upper half of the entire contest.

I thought our chicken was good and you can see where we ended up there. :cry::cry:

wallace

Teamfour
08-21-2013, 09:09 AM
To be honest, I could have sworn our brisket would not even get in the upper half of the entire contest.[/COLOR]

It s a cr@p shoot every contest. At Bluemont we thought we cooked the worst brisket ever but finished 13th out of 33. Go figure.

Kit R
08-21-2013, 10:46 AM

You're probably thinking about Sweet n Sassy BBQ. They won People's Choice pork last year.

Kit R
08-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Oh and Degüello BBQ is in. We kind of don't have a choice, but even if we did, we wouldn't miss this one. However, this year's lap around the track will be much less entertaining for Andy, Joel and Erin, Neil et al because THIS year Bruce the Shark will be towing the Yellow Submarine.

Theresa B
08-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Hey Kit- did you lose anything from your rig before we caught up to you leaving Palmyra and your door was open?

Teamfour
08-23-2013, 02:19 PM
KCBS Teams that have entered:
Makin Bacon BBQ
Mission BBQ
Gooney Creek BBQ
Bellwood BBQ
Late Empire
Grand Slam
CXB BBQ and Eats
Zombi Q
JD's Smokin Misfits
Smoketastic
Smokin-N-Style
Dequello

Anybody know what kind of payout is planned?

ShencoSmoke
08-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Pop Pop's is in. I'm kind of hesitant though, the last time I was in Page County was the early 90’s and we were chased onto the highschool baseball bus by a bunch of crazed hillbillies. Stop by and see us…..I will be the one with a fake mustache.

Teamfour
08-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Anybody know if there are regular bathroom facilities? Wife isn't wild about outhouses.:icon_blush:

sdbbq1234
08-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Don't know if they have changed or upgraded, but, they only had a few porta-pottys last year in the competiton area, and those were supposed to be designated for competition teams only. But, by Saturday around 2:00pm, everyone was using them.

One of them had a really squeaky door and we were right behind them. So, of course everytime someone used that one (all night long) we heard it. And the door slammed shut!!!

Overall, nothing that would have kept us from going again this year; too many other things going on right now.

It ain't bad.

wallace

PeppermonkeyBBQ
08-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Anybody know if there are regular bathroom facilities? Wife isn't wild about outhouses.:icon_blush:

They do have regular bathroom facilities there ... they are just a little bit of a trek. You have to walk across the track, and up the hill to the grand stand area. About a 5 minute walk. But they are there and available as I recall.

Kit R
08-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Hey Kit- did you lose anything from your rig before we caught up to you leaving Palmyra and your door was open?

Not to my knowledge! Thanks for waving me dwn!

MAP
08-27-2013, 01:55 PM
See you all thre.

DepChief22
08-27-2013, 09:45 PM
We will be there.

Teamfour
09-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Bump

ShencoSmoke
09-16-2013, 08:11 PM
17 teams when I checked last week. Not sure how many teams have signed up since then.

Kit R
09-17-2013, 05:10 AM
17 teams when I checked last week. Not sure how many teams have signed up since then.

Website says they are full in KCBS and backyard. I need to check that out since last time I hecked with Carey he said he was expecting 22 and was trying to get the three more necessary to reach qualifier status.

Rick Hamilton
09-17-2013, 05:31 AM
Website says they are full in KCBS and backyard. I need to check that out since last time I hecked with Carey he said he was expecting 22 and was trying to get the three more necessary to reach qualifier status.

I called yesterday to get in. There was space but the team count was at twenty and not a qualifier so I am passing on this. That's too bad as this looks like a good event in a nice area.

MAP
09-17-2013, 05:57 AM
We are in. The backyard teams are doing all 4 meats, I wonder if they can talk a few of them in to moving over to the KCBS at no extra charge to get to 25?

Teamfour
09-17-2013, 05:59 AM
I had seen that registration was cut off Sunday due to space limitations. Carey had said there was room for 40 teams, but I think that was Pro and Backyard combined. I hope the overabundance of Backyard teams didn't limit the amount of Pro entries.

Teamfour
09-17-2013, 06:00 AM
We are in. The backyard teams are doing all 4 meats, I wonder if they can talk a few of them in to moving over to the KCBS at no extra charge to get to 25?

Great idea! However, I don't think it is fair to allow them in at no extra charge. They will have a shot at a larger purse compared to the Backyard prizes without having contributed to the prize pool.

Old Virginia Smoke
09-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Old Virginia Smoke will be there.

ShencoSmoke
09-17-2013, 06:57 AM
I called yesterday to get in. There was space but the team count was at twenty and not a qualifier so I am passing on this. That's too bad as this looks like a good event in a nice area.

Rick- it was nice catching up in Richmond, hate that your not coming because they are under 25, but I understand. Maybe woodstock in October?

Kit R
09-17-2013, 09:23 AM
OK just spoke with Carey Verba, organizer for Smokin' on the Track. He told me he waited and waited for a number of teams that were saying they'd come, and when they didn't commit by this weekend past, he felt he had to focus on setup as o...posed to getting more teams. That's why he put up the "closed" for registration on the site. Same issue for judges as he had 50+ calls, and when he could not commit to all of them the majority of the ones he had on standby went elsewhere and won't reconsider. However, Carey said he is now RE-OPENING the comp for registration. So it's still not to late to get in. He said judges won't be a problem (I said I'd help him out with the judges recruiting as well). This is a superb venue (when else are you gonna have your own ginormous spot on a racetrack ON Pit Row) and great folks so let's get rolling and get this comp to 25 teams!

http://smokinbbqpal.com/ (http://smokinbbqpal.com/)