PDA

View Full Version : Dear Self Elected DJ @ every Competetion

jketron
08-19-2013, 09:49 AM
You're Fired!

I wish :)

I get you want to play music, perhaps other folks might want to hear their music.

Play what you want and enjoy, I'd like to not hear it 20 spaces away.

Please turn it down just a little... Please

Full Draw BBQ
08-19-2013, 10:12 AM
This made me laugh..........I agree 100%. The funny thing is it's always some random classic rock, Jimmy Buffet, or something we don't care about.....and most of the time involves a crowd around them drinking heavily.

jketron
08-19-2013, 10:27 AM
The party is great, having fun awesome, your speakers facing out on stands cranked up...not so awesome.

I don't care what the music is, I just didn't want blaring....zero consideration for the other teams.

Balls Casten
08-19-2013, 10:30 AM
From someone on the other side of the fence and a team that plays music when ever we cook. Please come say something before becoming irate. Speaking for us, we are not offended and understand if someone asks us to turn it down. Most of the time it is neighbors asking us to turn it up.
Its all about comunication.

rookiedad
08-19-2013, 10:42 AM
music should be limited to what is audible in your own spot. no one should ask another to tun it up because they are not only asking for themselves but for the ten or so spots around them. also, cursing and conversations of adult subject matter has been a problem at two recent contests i was at. i compete with my son and my mother on the team and guys should realize that ladys and kids are often part of this activity and monitor themselves accordingly.

matthew burt
08-19-2013, 10:57 AM
I have to agree with Doug! I don't play much loud music outside my spot, but do in the trailer! I rather enjoyed Dougs loud music Friday and Saturday in Laplatte. I even opened my vending window on the trailer friday and Saturday up until turn in time so I could listen to his much better quality sound system!

glenntm
08-19-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm sure you heard the the Party Anthem of SoCal.

Monday party tuesday party wednesday party - YouTube

Pigs on Fire
08-19-2013, 02:02 PM
You want someone to have respect and consideration for those around them in 2013???

Q-Dat
08-19-2013, 04:21 PM
From someone on the other side of the fence and a team that plays music when ever we cook. Please come say something before becoming irate. Speaking for us, we are not offended and understand if someone asks us to turn it down. Most of the time it is neighbors asking us to turn it up.

I get what you're saying, but on a few occasions myself or members of my team have respectfully requested that people lower their volume. To our faces they say "sure no problem" but then after we walk away they turn it up louder. Unfortunately there are thise out there that turn it up loud to intentionally annoy the crap out of other competitors.

big matt
08-19-2013, 04:33 PM

Monday party tuesday party wednesday party - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWFEJIkgqHE)

Although I haven't been in ages I'd bet it's just as big if not bigger in the Tijuana clubs..John next time just ask them to turn it down..they are pretty cool guys..if it's who I think it is.

JD McGee
08-19-2013, 04:37 PM
That guy gets around...we have one up here too! Lol...:tsk:

sdbbq1234
08-19-2013, 07:36 PM
This is a sticky subject as having the volume loud enough for only your site to hear, well that is most likely pretty low and hard to hear in your own site. Yes, sometimes it does get irritating to hear other folks music, but then sometimes the band playing at a comp is more irritating than other competitors.

I don't know, for the most part, we live with it, as it usually doesn't last too long.

wallace

ThomEmery
08-19-2013, 07:53 PM

Monday party tuesday party wednesday party - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWFEJIkgqHE)

Special Memories

Slamdunkpro
08-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Tbut then sometimes the band playing at a comp is more irritating than other competitors.

or the snoring:behindsofa:

CivilWarBBQ
08-19-2013, 08:04 PM
When we have music, it tends to be live pickers, so turning it down typically involves giving the banjo player something to eat to keep his fingers busy. :D

PS - even the worst CD or radio is better than Scary-Okee! Please confine your singing to the shower if your tune leaks out of the bucket you are carrying it in...

sdbbq1234
08-19-2013, 08:11 PM
You sly dog!!! Just after I posted this, I knew you would chime in here!!! Heck, did you guys hear us even being across the isle this last weekend? The wife woke up, had to use the rest-room and said she could hear me half way down to the porta-pottys!

I am surprised Brown Liqueur and Rockin' Robyn teams didn't call "foul ball" on me and throw a bucket of water on me!

I guess the folks that don't like loud music might not want to camp next to us. :icon_blush:

wallace

Slamdunkpro
08-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Back on topic, I'm seeing more and more teams setting up with small (or larger) PA's mounted on pole stands. Really? You need a 250 watt PA for your 20x40 space? At one event this year we had to go down the isle 10 sites and ask that they turn their music down and we got the same response that Q-Dat got.:mmph:

Something else to consider is that PA amps can consume a fair amount of electricity and rob the grid when the volume gets turned up.

I'm not a total fogy, but this emerging trend is something organizers need to address.

K-Train
08-19-2013, 08:50 PM
This is a sticky subject as having the volume loud enough for only your site to hear, well that is most likely pretty low and hard to hear in your own site. Yes, sometimes it does get irritating to hear other folks music, but then sometimes the band playing at a comp is more irritating than other competitors.

I don't know, for the most part, we live with it, as it usually doesn't last too long.

wallace

The bands can be bad, but that's part of bringing people in for a festival. No people, no festival.

sdbbq1234
08-19-2013, 09:01 PM
The bands can be bad, but that's part of bringing people in for a festival. No people, no festival.

Please understand me, I am not saying a band is playing badly! I could never play any musical intrument that would be acceptable to anybody.

Too farking loud is what I meant.

So at that point, what is the difference between someone playing their own music loud and the band playing loud?

If it is the band, that is part of the event and I understand. If it is a competitor, I hope they turn it down, sooner rather than later.

wallace

BasicPatrick
08-19-2013, 09:04 PM
I play music pretty loud in my site. Mostly in my trailer and almost exclusively on the morning of turn ins. Often my trailer ramp is open. I never intend on bothering anyone with my music. I play it loud (relative definition) so I can get into a rythem and out of my head a bit during the most intense time of a contest.

As someone said communicaiton is the key anytime someone is "bothering" you with their music or language or loud conversation or excessive alcohol influinced behavior and lets throw in my cigars, my smoking pipe and others marijuana too.

I have only once been asked to turn down my music so "maybe" im not as bad as some describe here but the one conversation I have had was short and I was happy to turn it down.

I have at times mentioned to a neighbor that I play my music a bit loud and informed the neighbor that if it bothered them to please let me know. Courtesy does not dictate I change my behavior nor you yours unless either one of us are bothered by the actions of the other.

As far as organizers getting involved beyond quiet time rules, I would humbly suggest that there is a slippery slope here that ends with much larger issues of legality than some loud music. (You know the old "First they came for the Jews" etc etc)

I say lets all be nice to each other and talk. Tell me if I bother you and ill do the same.

Slamdunkpro
08-19-2013, 09:12 PM
I play music pretty loud in my site.
I guess we'll find out in Chesapeake:mrgreen:

CBQ
08-19-2013, 09:22 PM
I play music pretty loud in my site.

It's not so much the volume, but seeing Patrick dancing to The Village People during turn ins can be disconcerting.

See you both in Virginia.

Rub
08-19-2013, 09:34 PM
I just bought bigger speakers :thumb:

jketron
08-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Thats it, I see a trip to Guitar Center for a few thousands watts of Brittney Spears

"Opps I did it again..over cooked my brisket..."

Look out Dana Point I"m bringing Yanni and Zamfir

BasicPatrick
08-19-2013, 10:30 PM

I figured it was me ten sites away in RI...(:>)

Seriously, considering our schedules never work out when I am in Alexandria for work and we just didnt get it done in RI finally getting to meat is a priority for me in VA.

BasicPatrick
08-19-2013, 10:39 PM
It's not so much the volume, but seeing Patrick dancing to The Village People during turn ins can be disconcerting.

See you both in Virginia.

First of all...whats wrong with Queen, then Kenny Chesney, then Rocky Horror, then Earth Wind & Fire, Then Sir Mix a Lot, then Poison, then ABBA, then Bruce Springsteen then Aerosmith, then then then?????

...the trouble will come the day The Basic BBQ and Que and a half Men (aka Team Gangnam Style) reunite on a double site and hook up in the same neighborhood....for that, Im brining the disco ball and the fender PA system...might even borrow Mr bobos pants...until then I promise to have some special music for Chesapeake

didisea
08-19-2013, 11:45 PM
I'm buying a set of speakers to hang on the trailer in the off season. Only way to deal with it is to drown the idiots out. Looking forward to show tunes at every comp next year. Even if I have to drown the REALLY crappy band out. Girls will be Girls! (Since I was told by a contest organizer that "Boys will be Boys" and I should just get some headphones.)

Hawg Father of Seoul
08-20-2013, 06:46 AM
I get what you're saying, but on a few occasions myself or members of my team have respectfully requested that people lower their volume. To our faces they say "sure no problem" but then after we walk away they turn it up louder. Unfortunately there are thise out there that turn it up loud to intentionally annoy the crap out of other competitors.

This is an easy one. The second time I go, I take scissors.

deepsouth
08-20-2013, 08:50 AM
i guess if i ever compete, i'll have to leave the mackie srm 450's at home.

Balls Casten
08-20-2013, 09:01 AM
i guess if i ever compete, i'll have to leave the mackie srm 450's at home.

thats what the complaints are about, people are bringing equipment that size to comps.

deepsouth
08-20-2013, 09:11 AM
thats what the complaints are about, people are bringing equipment that size to comps.

those speakers can get pretty loud, so i get that. on the flip, they don't have to be loud to be clear. they are super clear, even at lower volumes and the speakers are bi-amped, so you get plenty on the top and the bottom without cranking them.

my biggest gripes with "oversized" speakers is when they are not loud AND clear. not much is worse than loud unclear music.

Capn Kev
08-20-2013, 09:13 AM
I guess I need to turn down my Tony Orlando & Dawn tunes, I thought everyone loved that stuff! :becky:

Patrickkva
08-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Our esteemed Capt. has a loud set of snoring pipes too. Richter Scale worthy when he gets going. :laugh:

You sly dog!!! Just after I posted this, I knew you would chime in here!!! Heck, did you guys hear us even being across the isle this last weekend? The wife woke up, had to use the rest-room and said she could hear me half way down to the porta-pottys!

I am surprised Brown Liqueur and Rockin' Robyn teams didn't call "foul ball" on me and throw a bucket of water on me!

I guess the folks that don't like loud music might not want to camp next to us. :icon_blush:

wallace

jketron
08-20-2013, 09:40 AM
If your speakers are on stands...you may be a BBQ-Redneck...

Kit R
08-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Can't hear your snoring from the hotel room. As for your overnight team members, that's a different story as I keep a monitor outside for temp alarms. :icon_sleepy

Phubar
08-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Yeah...totally agree that people should turn down their music especially if they're playing crap music.
We've been standing next to a Belgium BBQ team which plays this song every 30 minutes or so with some middle aged woman doing a stupid cheap ar$e dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbaRFShF_D0

Can't wait to test out the Bose speakers on the Pitmaker at the Jack though...hope it has a nice wooPher in it...

http://www.bbq-nl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/thejack-11.jpg

Kit R
08-20-2013, 10:03 AM
I guess I need to turn down my Tony Orlando & Dawn tunes, I thought everyone loved that stuff! :becky:

It's great roller skating music, that's for sure.

Muzzlebrake
08-20-2013, 12:17 PM
I dont mind hearing teams crank up the odd song or two they consider their theme song, anthem or battle cry.

What annoys me are the teams that feel the need to crank their music up so they as the original OP stated become the "self elected DJ" and I have to put up with their entire lame assed overplayed autotuned playlist. Its been my experience that these wedding DJ wannabes play the musical versions of watered down, mass produced, pop crap they tend to drink.

Pigs on Fire
08-20-2013, 12:46 PM
There used to be a jackass that played music pretty loud every Saturday morning starting at 0800. Same songs everytime, started with "Crazy Train". Turned up loud enough to hear it on the moon.

Thank goodness the only thing he's hearing now is a Ukelele banging out Pacific Islander harmonies.

Q-Dat
08-20-2013, 01:50 PM
This is an easy one. The second time I go, I take scissors.

Yeah the thought has crossed my mind, but then once he got ot fixed he woukd have just turned it even louder.

DownHomeQue
08-20-2013, 03:17 PM
LMAO.. I am a DJ..

Big Poppa
08-20-2013, 04:19 PM
How about they leave it on while they go to dinner....I think bands that still play proud mary and mustang sally should be banned....unless they use my strings then they are fine.

deepsouth
08-20-2013, 04:28 PM
aren't there noise ordinances in cities that host contests?

djqualls
08-20-2013, 11:31 PM
I've got two trucks full of Vertec's. I could just humiliate them while I blow the windows out of their trailer. Or I could play live. I've got the right strings and the right guitar!

TooSaucedToPork
08-21-2013, 11:01 AM
This is a part of Competition BBQ. For 22 years I have seen loud booth parties. It is part of the culture...that being said, there is a line between throwing a party and being a total d bag.

jketron
08-21-2013, 02:17 PM
This is a part of Competition BBQ. For 22 years I have seen loud booth parties. It is part of the culture...that being said, there is a line between throwing a party and being a total d bag.

Agreed, play what you want, party and have a good time. Skip the speakers on stands and if you really need them face them into your own spot and at a reasonable level (yes subjective).

This isn't about what you play, its about how loud and the lack of consideration that maybe others dont want to hear it.

On a funny note...have you ever been caught between two DJ's both blaring away two different kinds of music and confused as to what beat to tap your foot too?

djswagg
08-21-2013, 03:26 PM
As the owner of a business that specializes in BBQ catering and DJ services, I kind of have mixed feelings about this. When I enter competitions, I also use it as an advertising tool. I bring my turntables, mixer, and speakers. I bring lights into the Friday party at the AmRo also. But I do admit that there is a time and place for this type of thing. If you're at a comp that has a big party atmosphere, you should probably expect loud music during party times. Last year at the AmRo, Ray Lampe was right next to us cooking in the invitational. I'm sure it kinda sucked for him, but he was in the "party" lot during party hours and he expected it and dealt with it. If he can handle it during party hours, then I'm sure anyone can. BUT.....During non-party hours, the music shouldn't be up loud enough to annoy others

rooftop bbq
08-21-2013, 03:39 PM
I've learned to just ask promoters not to be set up next to a "certain teams". 4 years in BBQ you learn little tricks like that.

ThomEmery
08-21-2013, 04:01 PM
About six teams requested anywhere but next to.............

Q-Dat
08-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Some of these guys are using it as a stupid strategy. They think its throwing off the competition.

Mexi "Q" Tioner
08-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Guess I wont be bringing the mariachi band with me to my next comp...:wink:

Joe Zukes
08-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Guess I wont be bringing the mariachi band with me to my next comp...:wink:Maybe just the one dude with that huge guitar!

4uweque
08-21-2013, 04:51 PM
My entire Memphis in May experience was was pretty screwed by having two "party" teams next to each other about 3 spaces down. They constantly were turning up the music to be louder than the team next to them. All day and all night, we had to yell at each other to talk in my camp. Pretty much ruined an event I had saved money to compete in for a year. What really hurt was being told I was too old.

Muzzlebrake
08-22-2013, 12:45 AM
As the owner of a business that specializes in BBQ catering and DJ services, I kind of have mixed feelings about this. When I enter competitions, I also use it as an advertising tool. I bring my turntables, mixer, and speakers. I bring lights into the Friday party at the AmRo also. But I do admit that there is a time and place for this type of thing. If you're at a comp that has a big party atmosphere, you should probably expect loud music during party times. Last year at the AmRo, Ray Lampe was right next to us cooking in the invitational. I'm sure it kinda sucked for him, but he was in the "party" lot during party hours and he expected it and dealt with it. If he can handle it during party hours, then I'm sure anyone can. BUT.....During non-party hours, the music shouldn't be up loud enough to annoy others

That's the key right there. The morning of turn ins is not "party hours". As the owner of a team that specializes in BBQ competitions, I too am trying to use competitions as an advertising tool. In my case I don't do that with speakers, lights and turntables but try to do that with scores, calls and strong finishes.

garzanium
08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Willy,Johnny Cash and classic rock at 1am made for a comfy sleep at my last comp...:mmph: and no joke...the person with the music on was at least 250yards away

rolfejr
08-22-2013, 06:47 PM
We play music throughout the day on Friday and Saturday. We like to put on a little quiet jazz on Saturday mornings, very relaxing., We keep it low, occasionally louder for a fun song, and the wife and I will usually have a slow dance when one of our favorites come up. We routinely check with our neighbors on the level to be sure we don't offend.

At Swinetastic, we had a team +/- 60 yards away, with a full pa blasting away all day with the speakers facing away from their site. No regard for anyone but themselves. I'm sure they are nice guys, just bad neighbors.

My point = Just be a good neighbor.

Slamdunkpro
08-22-2013, 08:06 PM
We play music throughout the day on Friday and Saturday. We like to put on a little quiet jazz on Saturday mornings, very relaxing., We keep it low, occasionally louder for a fun song, and the wife and I will usually have a slow dance when one of our favorites come up. We routinely check with our neighbors on the level to be sure we don't offend.

At Swinetastic, we had a team +/- 60 yards away, with a full pa blasting away all day with the speakers facing away from their site. No regard for anyone but themselves. I'm sure they are nice guys, just bad neighbors.

My point = Just be a good neighbor.
You need a little Pantera or Def Leppard interspursed with that light jazz, we were getting sleepy in BelAir.:twitch:

We couldn't hardly talk in our site at Swinetastic, That was a situation where the organizer should have stepped in.

Coz
08-22-2013, 09:29 PM

As a team that's been near you on a couple occasions I haven't seen where you were bad matter o fact lookin forward to the next time.For the others that play burnin ring of fire 10 times between the time quiet time starts and daylight expect a lil retaliation.

rolfejr
08-23-2013, 05:36 AM
You need a little Pantera or Def Leppard interspursed with that light jazz, we were getting sleepy in BelAir.:twitch:

My master plan has been revealed!

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
08-23-2013, 09:05 AM
You're Fired!

I wish :)

I get you want to play music, perhaps other folks might want to hear their music.

Play what you want and enjoy, I'd like to not hear it 20 spaces away.

Please turn it down just a little... Please

I'm a repeat offender unfortunately. I'm not trying to piss anyone off on purpose or make anyone else listen to our music. We play some terrible, terrible music and I don't mean to subject them to it. If there was a way to sound proof our trailer and keep it all on the inside we would. We just like to listen to our music at a fairly loud level. Our speakers stay inside our trailer and the doors are usually all closed up but I guess two Cerwin Vegas 12s and a 15inch Cerwin Vega Sub may carry a bit farther than our campsite. :) We always respect quiet hours and the music is never on that early in the morning. We don't make that many comps and we like to cut loose a little when we do. Sorry, we are indeed the designated a-holes at the comp, guilty as charged. At the same time we will certainly turn it down when asked or if we notice people walking by have blood running out of their ears.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
08-23-2013, 09:14 AM
those speakers can get pretty loud, so i get that. on the flip, they don't have to be loud to be clear. they are super clear, even at lower volumes and the speakers are bi-amped, so you get plenty on the top and the bottom without cranking them.

my biggest gripes with "oversized" speakers is when they are not loud AND clear. not much is worse than loud unclear music.

Haha guilty of the later. You mean to tell me "Ring of Fire" isn't supposed to have as much bass as a Jay Z track?

TooSaucedToPork
08-23-2013, 10:02 AM
My entire Memphis in May experience was was pretty screwed by having two "party" teams next to each other about 3 spaces down. They constantly were turning up the music to be louder than the team next to them. All day and all night, we had to yell at each other to talk in my camp. Pretty much ruined an event I had saved money to compete in for a year. What really hurt was being told I was too old.D

Thats MIM brother. You gotta go in knowing - "if it ain't time to judge...it's time to party"

That's a BIG difference I've noticed between cooking in MBN and KCBS. MBN contests have more parties at night than KCBS contests, probably due to the more elaborate setups.

Neil

TooSaucedToPork
08-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Agreed, play what you want, party and have a good time. Skip the speakers on stands and if you really need them face them into your own spot and at a reasonable level (yes subjective).

This isn't about what you play, its about how loud and the lack of consideration that maybe others dont want to hear it.

On a funny note...have you ever been caught between two DJ's both blaring away two different kinds of music and confused as to what beat to tap your foot too?

We have a PA system on stands. We play loud music, dance, and have a full bar. We throw a good party, and have for many years...this is how BBQ Competitions have been since attending my first at 13. Most teams around us did the same, and the ones that didnt were either in a neighbors booth with a party or went somewhere quiet until midnight when all loud music is turned off

If asked to turn it down we do, but quiet time isn't until 12...we respect quiet hours and follow the rules.

There is a long history of drinking and Partying at BBQ Comps...a lot of people new to the game have come over to us and yelled about their "kids trying to sleep" at 9 pm at night. I'm sorry, but I grew up in this and the parties in the 90's were WAY crazier than anything now. There were teams with stripper poles...and they were used.

Point is, loud music and Partying are a part of the culture, if it is before quiet hours...and laws are not being broken, it is fair game.

Neil

rolfejr
08-23-2013, 05:28 PM
There are professional teams and party teams.
The pros will usually take home the money the party team wasted on poor entries and bad cooks. Karma is a B****

"0.2 - Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Dean Vernon Wormer

Untraceable
08-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Families are the worst

jketron
08-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Families are the worst

I bring my family, glad we are not in the same area.

fnbish
08-24-2013, 05:40 AM
I bring my family, glad we are not in the same area.

I think he was just trollin with that comment.

TooSaucedToPork
08-24-2013, 02:13 PM
There are professional teams and party teams.
The pros will usually take home the money the party team wasted on poor entries and bad cooks. Karma is a B****

"0.2 - Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Dean Vernon Wormer

And there are teams that do both...and do it well.

sdbbq1234
08-24-2013, 04:07 PM

"Thank you sir, may I have another!"

wallace

CivilWarBBQ
08-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Families are the worst

You have officially won the Sarcasm Cup for this thread!

I applaud you for proving once again that Internet forums are the "Telephone Game" of the 21st century.

DeepElemCue
08-25-2013, 07:40 PM
The competition I did last weekend had one of those guys. 1am my sister finally went over and politely asked if he'd turn it down. He said he wouldn't so we could either come join the party or "deal with it". The guy was hammered. Got my sister some earplugs as we didn't want to start a fight and he eventually passed out. The next day he came in dead last in brisket, pork butt and 2nd to last in ribs. :-D Karma is a beautiful thing isn't it?

Pelkster
08-25-2013, 08:27 PM
I keep my music pretty low, but I always crank up the Metallica during turn ins. I make it a point to talk to my neighbors and let them know thats what I do, and so far I haven't had any problems. I get a thanks for the heads up, and I've gotten a few compliments for the selections. I only use little PC speakers, so it can't be heard more than a site down on either side. If it was ever a problem, I'd have no problem turning it down. Now the Barry Manilow AFTER turn ins are over...that's a different question :-P

Wampus
08-25-2013, 09:38 PM
I once played the Bee Gees while prepping meats last year on the Ipod docking station thing. How do you NOT turn up "Night Fever" a bit more than normal?

As I recall....even MY team gave me chit for that....which I was OK with.
It's hard to be me. :rolleyes: