PDA

View Full Version : First Comp Help

jreid
08-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Hi All:
So my brother and I entered my dad into his first competition (backyard division). It's coming up in two weeks, so here are a few questions I have:
1. Aside from the obvious coolers, smokers, seasonings, what are the items we maybe won't or haven't thought about that are must-haves for a comp?
2. What do we need to take for sanitation purposes? The site will have public restrooms for hand-washing, but that seems like a nightmare, what can we do?
Simple concerns, I hope, but we're trying to keep Dad busy. I want this to be a good experience for him, as barbequeing is one of the things he's found to keep him occupied while he's trying to stay sober. Very proud if the old man.

Thanks in advance!

Harbormaster
08-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Extension cords and lighting and some way to make hot water are pretty key.
PVC pipe extensions for the table legs help a lot.
For sanitation, we use three bus tubs: Wash, Rinse, Sanitize.

Untraceable
08-17-2013, 07:45 AM
disposable gloves make clean up a snap.

you'll probably bring 10x the amount of crap you actually need.

polishdon
08-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Do a google search for "BBQ Comp Checklists" there's a bunch out there that are helpful.

Ron_L
08-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Set up in your yard or driveway exactly as you plan to do at the comp, and cook the regular competition schedule including turn in to the "judges". Keep track of anything that you have to go into the house to get and add that to your list.

Shiz-Nit
08-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Check list open link http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/pdf/contest_check_list_two.pdf

Stark-O-Rama
08-18-2013, 12:04 AM
disposable gloves - no need to wash hands
disposable cutting boards
foil
foil pans

J&B'sBBQ
08-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Good/sharp knives, cutting boards, lighting, coverage of some sort (10x10 tent works well), comfy chairs for those in between times, lots of water to hydrate. For sure check out those checklists, but keep in mind that they are for pro teams and you may not need all of it to start off (we do BY too).

We keep Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer in our space for cleaning and "washing hands" as needed, but like someone said gloves are a must because it'll help keep your hands clean while dealing with food and will keep things more sanitary and less sticky.