PDA

View Full Version : Thermometers

Fishin4bass723
08-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Wondering howmany thermometers you use during comps?

My team has an Igrill and a maverick73 is that going to be enough?

fnbish
08-17-2013, 03:53 AM
I guess it depends on if you want to probe all the big meats and how many butts/brisket you cook. I cook 2 butts and 2 briskets and only probe one of each as a gauge.

Shiz-Nit
08-17-2013, 12:35 PM
I guess it depends on if you want to probe all the big meats and how many butts/brisket you cook. I cook 2 butts and 2 briskets and only probe one of each as a gauge.

Pretty much the same as I do and I also use a Thermapen to double check.

bbq.tom
08-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Depends on what competition I'm cooking in - for North Carolina Pork Council comps (whole hog on the grill) I am required to have 4 thermometers (one in each shoulder and ham).

In KCBS and North Carolina Barbecue Society comps I use two (one as a double check).

wjwheeler
08-17-2013, 04:22 PM
I always carry a thermapen, in addition to my wireless devices.

MikeJ65
08-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Just a Thermapen (and a backup).

dano
08-19-2013, 11:03 AM
+1 for thermapen.....the maverick pro-temp works pretty well too.

Vindii
08-19-2013, 02:09 PM
I've given up on remote probes. Can never get them to red the same. I poke with my thermapen when I think Im getting close.

CBQ
08-19-2013, 03:10 PM
We have meat probes in our Stoker, a Thermapen for spot checks, and a Maverick for remote monitoring.

The Stoker probes alarm when meats approaches done, so we start manual checking after that point. The Maverick just lets me know if the smoker goes out in the middle of the night. Hasn't happened since we switched the FEC to the stainless steel firepot, but still good to have a monitor on there.

The Stoker and Maverick probes are of limited use in determining whether something is done, because (a) they only check one spot in the meat, and (b) look and feel have a lot to do with it too. A Thermapen can check lots of spots quickly, so more useful in determining when to pull something.