PDA

View Full Version : So what are folks spraying on their chicken?

Cloudsmoker
08-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Attended an IBCA comp in Texas. Most everyone was cooking theirhalf chickens on direct heat (Weber kettles, etc.) and spraying them down through the cook. Just wondering what's in the spray bottles.

Ford
08-16-2013, 09:48 PM
I don't cook IBCA but I do cook half chickens. If I spray them I just wash off the rub. I cook half chickens in a pan with that famous Trigg Blue Bottle and the Texas crutch. And I set the sauce because you can't have goopy sauce on chicken.

But to answer your question, apple juice for color, water mixed with honey for sheen, sauce with honey and apple juice for all the above. And of course if you need more smoke flavor a little liquid smoke.

JS-TX
08-17-2013, 12:09 AM
I don't spray mine at all, the moisture you need to worry about is in the meat itself IMO. Perhaps they spray for flavoring if they are not going to glaze. If that's the case, it could be just about anything.

Theresa B
08-17-2013, 09:38 PM
After I sauce my chicken and lightly sprinkle a last pinch of rub I lightly spray with white grape juice. It melts the rub right into the sauce but doesn't wash it away.

southernstyle
08-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Butter flavor pam to get the skin nice and crisp

J&B'sBBQ
08-18-2013, 10:05 AM
When we're at home we spritz with apple juice or use our special mop for whole chickens. Competition we don't spritz or mop because we use a butter bath (KCBS so they're thighs).